Nokia overtaking SonyEricsson as most Mac compatible phone?

newnew
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The 6230...

New today:

- bluetooth

- mp3 and ACC

- video playing, recording and streaming

and on & on...

I was eyeing the SE z600, but this seems so much nicer...

Check out the other new phones as well, www.nokia.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    This'd just be a replacement for the old 6210 since the 6220 lacked bluetooth. Nokia really hasn't been jumping onboard with bluetooth although it is nice to see this.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

This'd just be a replacement for the old 6210 since the 6220 lacked bluetooth. Nokia really hasn't been jumping onboard with bluetooth although it is nice to see this.

err... well yes, like the 15" inch alubook is just a replacement for the tiBook. It still kicks ass compared to anything SE has or is comming out with at the moment...

(not counting the P900).
  • Reply 3 of 18
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    They have to do more than add Bluetooth for Mac compatibility. They need to support the standards based calendar and address book formats too as well as SyncML for synchronisation.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    BTW, nokia is comming out with a bluetooth adapter for all their no-bluetooth phones...

seems like they are finally getting it.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

They have to do more than add Bluetooth for Mac compatibility. They need to support the standards based calendar and address book formats too as well as SyncML for synchronisation.

SyncML is there...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Well, my T68i is starting to behave seriously f**ked-up...

So I decided to go for the newest, most mac-friendly phone available. (check out the machine in the background )

The z600... gonna be buying it next week, will post a review on how it compares to my room-mates t610.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

BTW, nokia is comming out with a bluetooth adapter for all their no-bluetooth phones...

seems like they are finally getting it.

Unfortunately, the upcoming Nokia BT adaptor will only work with phones fitted with one of their 'pop ports'. OK, that does cover most of the new ones, but older ones can't use it.

Quote:

SyncML is there...

But there's more to it than just SyncML. AFAIK, Nokia phones have had SyncML for some time, but that doesn't automatically mean that you sync with a Mac. I can't remember all the issues involved, but I'm sure there's more details in the archives .

Nice phone though . I might have to look at it once I'm set for a handset upgrade...

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Would think that the up and coming SE T630 (newer version of T610) should be a contender for one of the most Mac compatible phones. Based on the pictures on the SE web site, it is fairly clear that the white translucent plastic case with silver keys is meant to imitate the styling of the iBook laptops. Interestingly, SE makes a point of Mac compatibility in their marketing materials on the site.

Ready-to-run iSync with Apple

Sony Ericsson and Apple have been working together to provide synchronization capabilities between Apple computers and Sony Ericsson phones. Now users of Apple computers can synchronize their calendar and contact information with the T630 using iSync, Apple's free synchronization software.

iSync is provided by Apple Computers. The functionality is an add-on and support is handled by Apple Computers. For more information about iSync please visit: www.apple.com/isync.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    does anyone have an idea when the Z600 is gonna be out in the US? I need to replace my 68i and i'd rather get the z600 over the T616. I got an email from SE saying "just in time for the holidays": Z600 and P900
  • Reply 10 of 18
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Mac friendly? My mom's phone (some super-compact, grayscale, flip-style phone) doesn't even have a connection adapter - and I don't care much at all.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Too bad Nokia phones are the least human compatible.

Circular dialpads...

• Reply 12 of 18
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    ugly?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Well, I'd say that this is quite nice:

It's the 6600 and it's my next phone.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    sorry guys.

nokia phone are way better than sonys...

i have sony t616 and a nokia 6310i

and the signal is sooo much better, the battery, menus on the nokia far better, the next isync nokia phone that comes out will be my last, and somebody can take this t616 for cheap....
  • Reply 15 of 18
    If Nokia would replace their design department, with a group of people who understood ergonomics, they would be decent phones.

Why don't I like Nokia phones:

1) Poor bluetooth implementation.

2) Poor keyboard ergonomics (7210, 7250, 3650, NGage, that new elliptical phone).

3) Tiny screens (any of the series 40 phones).

As it is, the SE T610 is a good everyday phone and my P900 suits me just fine. The fact that SE work with Apple to ensure compatibility is just icing on the cake.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i thought the p900 was just announced, what about size/features/ease of use compared to treo 600??? have you compared both. i would like a phone that can keep my appointments but i guess i could use a phone that syncs with ical, but if i wanted to change the calendar wouldn't i have to use a mac to do it (at work we use all MS pve not used iCal yet) are there phones that sync with iCal?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

i thought the p900 was just announced, what about size/features/ease of use compared to treo 600??? have you compared both. i would like a phone that can keep my appointments but i guess i could use a phone that syncs with ical, but if i wanted to change the calendar wouldn't i have to use a mac to do it (at work we use all MS pve not used iCal yet) are there phones that sync with iCal?

Honestly, I've never tried the Treo 600 so I couldn't give you any advice on it.

The P900 has been available for a couple of weeks now, but you'll be paying the early adopters tax if you want one so soon after release. Unfortunately I'm an insatiable phone junkie, so I'm always the one waiting at the head of the line.

The P900 syncs with iCal and your address book on OSX, and can sync with Outlook (and I believe Exchange) on the windows side of the equation. I only use iCal to keep track of birthdays, so I can't comment of how robust its interaction with the P900 is. It does however integrate very well with Addressbook.

The T610, unfortunately, does not provide for storing addresses on the phone - just phone numbers and company info.

If you're comfortable with the PalmOS, the Treo may be your best bet.

The P900 still seems like a work in progress - a nice work in progress, though.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

The z600... gonna be buying it next week, will post a review on how it compares to my room-mates t610.

The Z600's screen is very very very nice.