Any point in putting OS9 on separate partition with Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

I just got a new Powerbook g4 12" last week. I'm upgrading it to panther. I was wondering if there is any point in sticking OS9 on a separate partition. It made more sense when I was using more classic apps and was booting into OS9. It was nice to keep the OS's, and apps) separate and clean on different hard drives. Now I'm not so sure. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm of the opinion that there isn't any point in putting OS 9 ANYWHERE.

I can't 100% tell from your post if you're STILL needing 9/Classic (you say "it made more sense when I was using...").

But if you don't need it, why not fling it?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    OS 9? What's that?

I second scates' view. If you don't use it, what's the point? I haven't used Classic in so long I can't even remember when I lost it. I have a couple games that I may like to play in the future that only have classic installers (starcraft and diablo II) and then I'll be in a quandary, but if you have no need that you can see, don't install it. Why waste the space?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    Good points. I actually hadn't thought of it that way. Security blanket I guess. I use OS9 daily to play Diablo ii and sometimes broodwars on my b&w g3 but since the pbG4 is for my wife (seriously! ) and she doesn't need any classic apps, I guess I can scratch it. Right?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I have no need or desire to ever boot my Pismo into OS 9 again, but I do have some software that only has Classic installers. Namely, Diablo II and StarCraft. Here's what I did:

Backup useful files.

Erase hard drive and install Panther.

Restore backed up files.

Insert OS 9 CD and shut down computer.

Start computer from the OS 9 CD.

Create a 500MB disk image called Classic.img using Disk Copy.

Do a minimum install of OS 9 onto that 500MB disk image.

Restart into Panther.

Double click the disk image file to mount the disk image.

Start Classic and install Diablo II.

Shut off Classic.

Eject the Classic disk icon on the desktop.

This way, you can run classic when you need to, but it takes up very little hard drive space and doesn't get in the way when you don't need it.

(I got this idea by reading a post on here from somebody describing the same thing about a year ago)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    Hey, That's interesting!!

but can a new powerbook g4 boot into os9 off the cd-rom?