Are current Macs shipping with Panther?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yes, I know the new iBook G4 and eMacs are shipping with Panther, but what about the rest of the Apple lineup?

The webpages for the PowerBook, iMac, PowerMac G5, and PowerMac G4 all seem to show that these Macs are shipping with Jaguar.

That can't be right, can it?

I mean, even if Apple doesn't want to open all their current stock of Macs, install Panther, and then repackage them, couldn't they just include a copy of Panther FREE with every new purchase????

Why the heck should we have to pay $20 to get Panther AFTER Panther has been released and should come with new Macs?

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I don't know about all of current Macs, but I bought a new eMac on the night of the Panther release and it already had Panther pre-installed.

The sales guy didn't even know that Panther would be there. I'd asked him if Panther would be pre-installed, and he said that I'd probably find the Panther "flat pack" inside the box, and I'd need to install it myself.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I couldn't agree more. While $20 seems like a good deal, I think that anyone who purchased a G5 before the Panther drop date should have received a free upgrade. (Of course I grudgingly paid my $20.)

Let's assume for argument's sake that all of the 100,000+ people who pre-ordered G5s (Apple's claim) paid the $20 for Panther. That's at least $2,000,000 fleeced by Apple. Not a bad haul.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by stujay

I couldn't agree more. While $20 seems like a good deal, I think that anyone who purchased a G5 before the Panther drop date should have received a free upgrade. (Of course I grudgingly paid my $20.)

Let's assume for argument's sake that all of the 100,000+ people who pre-ordered G5s (Apple's claim) paid the $20 for Panther. That's at least $2,000,000 fleeced by Apple. Not a bad haul.

That doesn't bother me as much as people who buy new Macs TODAY or after today (now that Panther is already out) and still receiving Jaguar in their Macs.

Although I think it's lame, I can understand Apple making people pay for an upgrade if they made a purchase (or pre-order) before Panther's official release. Still, now that Panther is out, why are iMacs, PowerBooks, PowerMac G4s and PowerMac G5s still shipping with Jaguar. That's just WRONG.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Can you walk into a retail store with a proof-of-purchase or a filled-out Up To Date order form and get the upgrade CDs for free? That's how it works with many other updates - $20 is supposed to be for the price of pressing the CDs and shipping them to you (even though they charge shipping on top of that...), so what if you go in person? I suppose they'd still demand $20.

Ah well, it's only $20, can't really complain about that unless you ordered a while ago and still haven't gotten your machine even after new ones come with Panther preinstalled. That would be stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Someone over at Macnn posted that they received a 12" 'book today with Panther installed.

Maybe my replacement PB will come with Panther in a week or two...?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Can you walk into a retail store with a proof-of-purchase or a filled-out Up To Date order form and get the upgrade CDs for free? That's how it works with many other updates - $20 is supposed to be for the price of pressing the CDs and shipping them to you (even though they charge shipping on top of that...), so what if you go in person? I suppose they'd still demand $20.

Ah well, it's only $20, can't really complain about that unless you ordered a while ago and still haven't gotten your machine even after new ones come with Panther preinstalled. That would be stupid.

You can't get it by going to the store, it must be done online. I hate it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    " All Power Mac G5s now ship with Mac OS X v 10.3 "Panther", the world's most advanced operating system. "

"The iMac comes with Mac OS X Panther, Apple?s powerful yet easy-to-use operating system that?s as stable as only a UNIX-based system can be."

" The PowerBook G4 comes with Mac OS X v 10.3 "Panther", the world's most advanced operating system. "

"All new Power Mac G4s ship with Mac OS X v 10.3 "Panther" installed."

www.apple.com/store

• Reply 8 of 13
    Yep, a friend just got a G4 1.25 SP with Panther and 9.2.2 installed two weeks ago - direct from Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I purchased a new pb 12" combo at CompUSA yesterday and it came with Panther pre-installed.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by n3o

" All Power Mac G5s now ship with Mac OS X v 10.3 "Panther", the world's most advanced operating system. "

"The iMac comes with Mac OS X Panther, Apple?s powerful yet easy-to-use operating system that?s as stable as only a UNIX-based system can be."

" The PowerBook G4 comes with Mac OS X v 10.3 "Panther", the world's most advanced operating system. "

"All new Power Mac G4s ship with Mac OS X v 10.3 "Panther" installed."

www.apple.com/store

This is a relatively new development. I have the Apple Store PowerMac G4 page (Web Archive file) saved on my desktop from the first week of November and it said that the computer shipped with Jaguar. I guess Apple just needed some time to update all the computers they had on hand.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Received my 15" Al Powerbook from Taiwan with Panther installed a week ago.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I bought a powebook 2 weeks ago. It didn't have panther, though they gave me panther for free
  • Reply 13 of 13
    i just bought a 15" iMac for my mom and it came with Jaguar and an up-to-date coupon. A bit disappointing, it being a month after Panther was released, but i guess ther was a lot of iMac inventory.

neilyb