Panther Secruity Update Released

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From MacMinute:

Apple releases security update for Panther

October 28 - 16:34 EST__ Apple today released Security Update 2003-10-28 via the Mac OS X Software Update preference pane. According to the company, the update addresses a potential vulnerability in the implementation of QuickTime Java in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and Mac OS X Server 10.3 that could allow unauthorized access to a system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Thanks ... grabbing it now.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Does it make Panther snappier????? <----- Can't resist
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no, but it does make the beta show up as 10.3.

• Reply 4 of 10
    It removes debug code.

• Reply 5 of 10
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Does it make Panther snappier????? <----- Can't resist

Heh. Safari actually does feel a LOT more snappier with that little update.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Either that update, or the Filevault reorginizing thing totally screwed me. Wiped out my Mail (lost all my settings and some of my mail), lost all of my Finder settings, lost all of my System Preference settings, still looking to see if anything else got f@#$ed up!

Again, I don't know if it was the security update or filevault. All I know is I applied the update, did the restart, filevault did its thing and after the restart life sucked
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

Either that update, or the Filevault reorginizing thing totally screwed me. Wiped out my Mail (lost all my settings and some of my mail), lost all of my Finder settings, lost all of my System Preference settings, still looking to see if anything else got f@#$ed up!

Again, I don't know if it was the security update or filevault. All I know is I applied the update, did the restart, filevault did its thing and after the restart life sucked

Shit. That does suck. I'm going to hold off on this one for a few days.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    It is File Vault. If you restart, you will have your preferences scrambled.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny

It is File Vault. If you restart, you will have your preferences scrambled.

I admit, it's certainly a suspect, but I have successfully restarted a couple times since enabling Filevault without the above issues. Of course, that might not mean anything. I'm wondering now if I should turn Filevault off...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I just posted a more detailed (and rant-filled, I suppose) version of this warning in the OS X forum. I just disabled mine after having to create a new keychain and Dock. Grrr... I could be wrong about it, but it is all that it could be, honestly, after days of working with it.