Microsoft's latest attempt to screw Mac owners

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Some more XUL info for those interested.

I played with some XUL stuff in Mozilla Firebird. It was...ummm different.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

XAML is not a replacement for HTML as we know it. XAML is a way to separate the UI of any application from the backend engine. It is a direct attack on web-based services, but not on websites as we know it.

If done right, this could be quite a clever technology - something that has been tried quite a couple of times with different approaches - X11, client/server architectures, NextStep among others. Unfortunately they are mixing XAML with C# to get a lock-in to .NETable platforms but in principle, this should have been invented by some consortium like the W3C.

It will have a deep impact on office applications and maybe on webshops, web auctions etc.. If I was Steve, it would give me the shivers.

Lets hope the W3C or some other standards body does respond with an alternative that we can follow.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

Mozilla was first

I wonder if XAML was an original Microsoft idea

Very good. I'm feeling better... Here, Amazon even has a book on how to program it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846

So maybe there will be enough rejection of the proprietary solution as to have a good mix of Microsoft and non-Microsoft solutions (like now).
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Bah! I just lost hope... XUL depends on Javascript... Javascript needs to go away QUICKLY if we are to compete with Microsoft.

Edit: Sorry to keep adding information ad-hoc. but I just found http://jxul.sourceforge.net/, which is an open source project to integrate XUL with Java.

Edit 2: Competing open source project: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sa.../jellyswt.html
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Bah! I just lost hope... XUL depends on Javascript... Javascript needs to go away QUICKLY if we are to compete with Microsoft.

So does XAML as far as I can see:

"It is basically an XML structure with CSS and JavaScript. The CSS defines the appearance and the JavaScript dictates behavior."
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

So does XAML as far as I can see:

"It is basically an XML structure with CSS and JavaScript. The CSS defines the appearance and the JavaScript dictates behavior."

A transcript from the devil:

By using a combination of XAML and C# (or Visual Basic® .NET) code, you can build various types of output files including traditional Windows desktop executables, DLL libraries, and console applications. In addition, if your application is simple enough, it can be rendered using freestanding XAML markup, thus producing another type of application to add to the list. Standalone XAML files are runnable within the Longhorn shell and the browser as long as they don't reference some codebehind class. Finally, it is worth noting that Windows executables can be hosted in a window (by default) as well as in the browser. In both cases, the code remains the same and only needs to be compiled again with a different project property.

-------------

This morning I'm off to look at JBuilder 10. Theres a review of it in eweek that talks about some of the new features, including "a visual designer for the open-source Apache Struts framework for building Web applications..."