Last Minute MWNY Predictions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    arwarw Posts: 16member
    Personally I think we'll see Steve-o announce the new G4s (1.4-1.5 top end). They will start to ship with the release of Jugar (August 13th? or something).

Price drop with iPod ($50 perhaps?)

iMac's given a speed bump to bring Ghz to the consumer. GeForce 4 MX. Wide-screen or a higher resolution (or both) is a must in my mind. How about pulling that $100 dollars off the price now?

1 FireWire2 port on both iMac and PM

But hey, who says Sir Stevie won't unveil a new iPod with FW2 support? Just an idea.

A new digital lifestyle device is a major possibility, but I have no clue as to what those crazy boys at Cupertino could dream up next.

Just my opinion. No inside info here.

-ARW

PS- Can we watch this via a QT Stream?
  • Reply 21 of 37
    Thank you all for using our public beta of iTools, now you will have to pay $$ if you want to use them ever again more at think secret...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    [quote]Thank you all for using our public beta of iTools, now you will have to pay $$ if you want to use them ever again more at think secret... <hr></blockquote>

give me a break. they will only charge more for added features. geeze. no panties need to get bunched here.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by heh2k:

<strong>oh, regard all this .mac talk, do you really think they'd call it ".mac"? that's just silly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a real hard time believing this .Mac stuff. Why? Look:

This is from ThinkSecret (the people who broke the news of .Mac)

And this is from MacPlus who have a newer release of Jaguar

Do you see. I doubt that the language difference would make a difference and I really doubt that MacPlus would change it back to .Mac

So the question lies, is there anyone out there who has a beta version of Jaguar and if so, what does it say?

Oh, one more thing, Apple is usually pretty strict with using capitals, yet on the AppleInsider grab it is done both .mac and .Mac, weird if you ask me.

On a side note, the French version has a button to purchase more space on your iDisk (its what that big blue arrow is pointing to). So services do look like they'll be introduced.

Edit: Additional text and I learnt to spell. Man I'm brain-dead today!

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: pi radians ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 37
    You can currently up your iDisk space.

Nothing new there, except the button in Sys Prefs.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>You can currently up your iDisk space.

Nothing new there, except the button in Sys Prefs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah? I didn't know that (I don't use iTools at all)

Well then, nothing looks too different.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Apple has just upped it's contract with Alkmai for more time & bandwidth. With the current licensing fee structure for MPG4, Apple can pay $1,000,000 up front and host as many movie trailers, Apple commercials, Stevenotes, etc. as they want.

Apple could update iTools to allow any of us to offer FREE streaming A/V from our own Mac homepage. It's free for us anyway, as long as it's a non-profit site, but not many of us have the bandwidth to host anything of importance.

The only real way I see this as being BIG, would be if Apple connected QuickTime to the TV. If that happens with some iDevice, then QuickTimeTV suddenly becomes TV2. CNN, NPR, the BBC, whoever is on QTV is now on television as well, for no more than one million a year. That's nothing for some stations, and if we're allowed to piggy-back on to Apple's bandwidth, it's literally nothing for us as well.

To those that say Jobs hates TV, well we already have QuickTime TV, this would just be an extension.

And as I've asked in two other posts, do either of the satellite radio companies have electronics small enough to fit into an iPod? I'm sure they'd love to give Apple a cut of the monthly fee if the satellite radio was included on every iPod sold. That would be a huge announcement.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: bunge ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 37
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    Yeah, the $1,000,000.00 is pretty small potatos for Apple.

Stream away baby!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>My Predictions:

Talks about the computer industry slum, and Apple's losses in this quarter due to PM inventory build up.

Jaguar Demo, on track for end-of-summer ship date.

iOrganise Released. It replaces Address Book, and includes (apart from an Address Book) a calender, note-pad and to-do list which all sync to PDAs.

.Mac released. E-mail, and HomePage and iDisk remain free. $100 a year will get you priority access to Apple servers (like the software section of iDisk), unlimited bandwidth on HomePage (for shareware authors), 100MB iDisks, maybe your own domain name (or a mycompany.mac.com) and maybe multiple e-mail addresses.

1GHz, 1.5GHz, Dual 1.25GHz Power Macs. DDR333 RAM, AGP 8X, 66MHz PCI, 800Mb/s FireWire. GeForce 4 MX on all models, R300 BTO Option.

Beats a P4 in a bake-off (when equiped with Jaguar).

The iMac gets an update: GeForce 4 MX, 1GHz G4s on superdrive model. A 17" 1536x1024 version of the superdrive model becomes available.

The end, with a standing ovation!

A check at <a href="http://www.apple.com/store"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/store</a> sees that you can still buy QuickSilver Power Macs for $1200-$1400 (the low-end modle) until stocks clear (repeat of MWSF01)

MWSF will see the PM line go all-dual

MWNY03 will see the release of the all-new, Power4 Macintosh!

Barto

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Barto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree, well thought out...but I think we will also get:-

iDVD3 and iMovie3, with 16x9 support and CHAPTERS.

iTunes to support MP4

Here is a long shot...

iPod2 with QT6 support for your home movies, trailers and an LCD colour screen. Maybe there could be a portal so that your iPod could download trailers at night, to watch off line at a later date, that would be cool.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    sauriasauria Posts: 11member
    [quote]Originally posted by detah:

<strong>it doesn't matter, the mac is dead.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hah
  • Reply 31 of 37
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by detah:

<strong>it doesn't matter, the mac is dead.</strong><hr></blockquote>

FSCK! Really? Off I go to sell my iMac on eBay while there's still time!

Hey detah: I figured out something really cool but you can only do it once. It will screw the whole world over no doubt, which you probably want, troll that you are. You can put out the sun! It's easy, just go outside with no eye protection and stare right into the sun for a few hours. Pretty soon, it will go out! Then you wont have to come on here and bicker about how the Mac is dead. What a life that would be...
  • Reply 32 of 37
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by pi radians:

<strong>

I have a real hard time believing this .Mac stuff. Why? Look:

This is from ThinkSecret (the people who broke the news of .Mac)

And this is from MacPlus who have a newer release of Jaguar

Do you see. I doubt that the language difference would make a difference and I really doubt that MacPlus would change it back to .Mac

So the question lies, is there anyone out there who has a beta version of Jaguar and if so, what does it say?

Oh, one more thing, Apple is usually pretty strict with using capitals, yet on the AppleInsider grab it is done both .mac and .Mac, weird if you ask me.

On a side note, the French version has a button to purchase more space on your iDisk (its what that big blue arrow is pointing to). So services do look like they'll be introduced.

Edit: Additional text and I learnt to spell. Man I'm brain-dead today!

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: pi radians ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

mmm, so you know for certain, the second image is newer then the TS one? I don't see why they would change it back. Maybe they took it out to tweak it some? They've taken away features only to add them back at a later build release. Otherwise, maybe the .mac is a fake?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    it's expo eve... barely a mouse has squeaked... all is quiet, so here's a little hint of where your new mobo's are coming from:

This gets announced *today* - have a think why...

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/26216.html"; target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/26216.html</a>;

no, that's not it exactly (it's AMD centric for a start) but the relationship between the two is more than close.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

mmm, so you know for certain, the second image is newer then the TS one? I don't see why they would change it back. Maybe they took it out to tweak it some? They've taken away features only to add them back at a later build release. Otherwise, maybe the .mac is a fake?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Could it be as simple as an internal debate of the name change at cupertino? Maybe Stevie isn't sure whether or not they should drop the already familiar brand name for something new justto make it sound more like ".Net"

I think that apple would benefit from expanding and enhancing the tools in iTools, and i personally think that making them a pay service is not unreasonable.

However, i don't know what the benefit of making the name ".mac" is. For one thing, aside from both starting with a period, '.Net' and '.Mac' aren't that similar. .Mac is a colection of online tools for enhancing your internet experience. .Net on the other hand is a programming framework geared towards online interactivity with programs. .Net would be easier to compare to Cocoa, or Carbon in terms of actual utility.

i think apple with keep the iTools name and offer a premium strata to thier services.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by mavster:

<strong>airport equipped home stereo device to stream music from mac to stereo system

bluetooth enabled tri-band gsm pda/phone... phone working only with small bluetooth ear/mic headset so device can be in pocket/pocketbook or anywhere close enough to work... size of ipod... touchscreen only...</strong><hr></blockquote>

airport stereo device...something worth thinking 'bout for my EE project next year! I can get credit for both analog AND digital design class...2 birds with one stone!

bluetooth enabled tri-band gsm phone & bluetooth hands free kit == Ericsson T68i

Unless it comes with a color PDA, I'd say the T68i is a better choice. Another problem with such a device is that which network? Cingular/ATTWS/T-mobil (aka voicestream) all support GSRP, I think Cingular has the best setup for now (3G internet). Else airport enabled on the PDA's okay too...just gotta make warchalking more popular in the US and worldwide. If no Apple PDA comes around in a few months, I'm getting a T68i (and hopefully, it'll be cheaper in a few months...ATT has it for $199, and I can get the Cingular one for $250)

Lastly, 1394.b has to be on-board along with 1394.a since it's NOT backward compatible (at least pin-compatible from what i've read). I'd LOVE to see 802.11g implementation more...so I can run wireless LANs much faster ^_^;
  • Reply 36 of 37
    mavstermavster Posts: 51member
    the t68i is a nice phone, but I'd wait for the p800 if you could.. a bit pricier, but with the Symbion OS, gonna kick ass...

the phone/pda would be sold unlocked so you could use it with any gsm provider.. I bought my t39 from England and am able to use it with Voicestream here, cingular if I so chose and any carriers gsm in Europe.. Worked in Greece last year just by buying a sim card over there.. very sweet..

as I said, holding a phone to your head is so passe.. a small bluetooth earpiece/mic headset, sort of like a hearing aid sized device and the pda/phone could be anywhere near you to use.. no buttons, completely voice and touchscreen enabled.. this would kick ass, imho
  • Reply 37 of 37
    heres my prediction, based on no insider information, no crystal ball, no magic sprites from cupertino.

iOrganize or iContact or iSomething will be released. The function? It will be a full function contact organizer, with a calendar, and seamless integration with Mail. The software will have a iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto look to it, be very very simple and easy to use and sync with any major PDA using Palm OS.

This is the last untouched realm of the digital hub theory. Video cameras - iMovie, digital still cameras - iPhoto, MP3 - iTunes , PDA?

- iOrganize.

I don't think apple is ready to release a PDA yet, not until they can completely streamline the interface. But they're certainly ready to release software to enhance your existing pda. iTunes was released before the iPod, and i think that by the time iOrganize 2 comes out, we'll have an apple branded PDA or an apple branded Cell phone.

I personally look forward to new hardware and software at MWNY02, or Stevie crying.