Panth, Mail.app, to MS Exchange Server?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey Pals,

Wondering if there is any "trick" to getting Mail.app under Panther to connect to an MS Exchange server? I added the account, and my (pc-centric) sysadmin came over to make sure the account info was correct... no place for a "domain" name... and upon saving of the account, I get a perpetual "didn't like password" error. (no, don't have numlock down)

Any ideas? Gracias in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    In the user name area put the domain name followed by the user name like this: domain/username
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ek, still doesn't seem to work... I'll look around the apple site a little more... gracias.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    c47c47 Posts: 12member
    Keep in mind, Panther's support for Exchange server is no different than the entourage MS released a little while ago.

REQUIRES Exchange server 2000 or higher. Exchange server 5.5 is NOT supported.

Damn, MS with their stupid MAPI backwards protocol. I wish they would add that to Entourage so I can migrate a whole bunch of people off of Outlook 2001 in Classic.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    When in doubt, check the help menu. Help files have been much improved with Panther, IMO.

Quote:

An Exchange account allows you to connect to your Exchange server via IMAP, and if you enter text in the Outlook Web Access Server field, Mail filters non-email related content from the server. (You can get the text you need to enter from your mail account provider.) For Exchange to work with Mail, Exchange administrators need to configure the Exchange server for IMAP access. Some system administrators may refer to an Outlook Web Access Server as an Internet Information Services (IIS) server.

Emphasis mine.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Hoe this helps.

Who you calling a hoe?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Whoops!

You doin ho activities

With ho tendencies

Hos are your friends,

hoes are your enemies

With ho energy to

do whacha do

Blew whacha blew

Screw whacha screw
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Does this feature work across the internet when you're at home, or does it just work on a local network?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Does this feature work across the internet when you're at home, or does it just work on a local network?

I"m trying to set it up on our local network... if you want internet access via mail or any mail app, you could set up VPN software. I think Panther has some enhanced VPN services built in, eh?

Carlos
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I have succesfully gotten Mail.app to work flawlessly with my Exchange Server, despite the fact that MS's own Entourage (with the same settings) will receive but not send mail...

In the "Incoming Mail Server" field I entered the IP address of the SMTP server that houses my corporate mail account (used Virtual PC to resolve the name to the IP address since my Mac couldn't resolve the name). Entered my account name and password. And entered the IP address of the outgoing mail server as "<ip address>:<username>".

Everything works!!!

Hope this helps...

PS> Still haven't figured out how to get Address Book.app to connect ...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kyogen

I"m trying to set it up on our local network... if you want internet access via mail or any mail app, you could set up VPN software. I think Panther has some enhanced VPN services built in, eh?

Carlos

This kind of seems like overkill....
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

This kind of seems like overkill....

I guess it depends on how much you like to work/access email from home... it's pretty easy to set up, and once you have it up, all you do is log in and you get all your mail/calendar just like at work... pretty nice... especially if it saves you a trip to the office on occasion.