Damn you people and your Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just want a half way decent Mac for cheap, but the used ones never come down in price. Even used I've got to pay almost a grand for a 500 mhz ibook. At that price I'm way better off buying a new G4 ibook!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

I just want a half way decent Mac for cheap, but the used ones never come down in price. Even used I've got to pay almost a grand for a 500 mhz ibook. At that price I'm way better off buying a new G4 ibook!!!

Yeah, Macs have much better resale value than PCs. Mainly because they're not commodities, and the change cycle is more controlled.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    plus 3 years later they're still usable.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Except to us developers that need fast compile times. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a G4 ibook... Now just to convince the wife.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    well if you need speed, you need a G5.

convince the wife of that then let me know how you did it.

otherwise start saving now for the G5 PowerBooks. that way you'll be really happy when you get it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Used prices will come down a little now that apple's courting Moore's law.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

And, unlike PeeCees, they are still usable 30 seconds after you get them out of the box. Thats why people want them so much, thats why you pay more for a used Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

And, unlike PeeCees, they are still usable 30 seconds after you get them out of the box. Thats why people want them so much, thats why you pay more for a used Mac.

Umm... PC are just as useable as macs... even 10 years down the road. If you treat them nice they will treat you nice.

You silly mac fanatics...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    yeah.

just DON'T connect to the internet and you'll be just fine.

oh, and careful how many apps you install. start putting a lot of stuff on there and it'll start having trouble.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hell I am selling a 12inch 867MHz G4 Powerbook with airport extreme and an extra 512 meb of RAM for $1200.00 or best offer!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

yeah.

just DON'T connect to the internet and you'll be just fine.

oh, and careful how many apps you install. start putting a lot of stuff on there and it'll start having trouble.

NO! NO! NO!

connect it to the net...

install a firewall (software)...

install as many apps as you want...

enjoy...

From day one when I built my computer (which is over 2 years now) I have never had a virus, trogan, or crash for that matter.

MY COMPUTER HAS NEVER CRASHED!

Mind you I am much more computer centric than the average person. The same average person who downloads virus after virus over Kazaa, who will buy a crap PC (cheap ram and motherboard) to save a buck, and will let a tonne of programs that they never heard of run on there system, and then bitch about how Windows is slow and keeps crashing on them.

I LOVE PCs... AND Macs!

They are both great platforms. Windows XP is fast and stable. Linux is great on both platforms. Mac OS is fine in it's own respect and OSX is the Unix workhorse of my dreams.

Microsoft is here to stay... if you are a Mac fanatic that's fine but you are shutting doors when you turn your back to Microsoft and the x86 platform.

If you don't fully understand why your PC is crapping out on you then yes get a Mac... if you do then fix it... it is not that hard.

Oi.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Hell I am selling a 12inch 867MHz G4 Powerbook with airport extreme and an extra 512 meb of RAM for $1200.00 or best offer!

Let me know what you get. I am going to be selling the same machine in a couple weeks...