A cell phone advice question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know there are a few older cell phone threads, but things move pretty rapidly in that arena, and I suspect that my wishes are reasonably universal, so hope it is ok to start a new thread on this....

I have been using the Danger Sidekick for almost a year now, and I desperately want to move to a new phone (the sidekick is too large/awkward, and is quite bad as a phone, although it is great for IM and email etc).

I would like something that is reasonably easy to use for short emails/web browsing, but is a good cell phone, and in a smallish size.

The sony/ericsson p800 looks great - it has bluetooth, so I could sync with my macs, and use it as a modem with my ibook, and the pen input would be nice, as well as the PDA functions. However, it is pretty large and heavy, not to mention REALLy expensive.

The Nokia 6800 is a little less awkward, has the flip out keypad, and the reception on Nokias is generally pretty great...the only downside I can see is no BT, so no modem ability or synching.

The SE T616 is good in that it is free in some plans and has BT, but input would be through the phone keys, which is painfully slow for all but the briefest messages.

So, my questions:

1. Am I missing some good option I should be thinking of? (I thought of the treo, but it seems as large/larger than the P800).

2. How ytough would it be to sync with a non-BT phone? Can one use a USB cable to sync with the ibook?

3. How about external keyboards? Does anyone make a mini keyboard that plugs into (or uses BT) a cell phone? That would make the T616 a decent option.

Any advice would be appreciated....

Fish

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Forget the P800. The P900 will be out in a month or so.

• Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

1. Am I missing some good option I should be thinking of? (I thought of the treo, but it seems as large/larger than the P800).

The Treo 600 is roughly the same size as the p800 (or the forthcoming p900)...they all cost approx the same though. When the p900 hits the US market in January the price of the p800 will come down a lot. The Treo 600 and p800 / p900 are really the only phones currently on the mkt that offer decent PDA / email / web functionality.

Quote:

2. How tough would it be to sync with a non-BT phone? Can one use a USB cable to sync with the ibook?

If iSync works with a phone it'll work over a USB connection.

Quote:

3. How about external keyboards? Does anyone make a mini keyboard that plugs into (or uses BT) a cell phone? That would make the T616 a decent option.

I don't think I've seen anything like that, but I'm sure there are options out there. I believe the SE phones are now using T9 predictive input for text, which is surprisingly fast and easy to use. Probably even faster than pen based input on a p800 / p900. Take a look at the t630...even has iBook styling.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

The Nokia 6800 is a little less awkward, has the flip out keypad, and the reception on Nokias is generally pretty great...the only downside I can see is no BT, so no modem ability or synching.

There's an update to the 6800 out soon with BT and a camera. It'll be called either the 6820 or the 6850.

More here.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    does anyone know of any sprint hones that willw ork with isync. i hate having to upodate everything all the time.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

The Treo 600 is roughly the same size as the p800 (or the forthcoming p900)...they all cost approx the same though. When the p900 hits the US market in January the price of the p800 will come down a lot. The Treo 600 and p800 / p900 are really the only phones currently on the mkt that offer decent PDA / email / web functionality.

If iSync works with a phone it'll work over a USB connection.

I don't think I've seen anything like that, but I'm sure there are options out there. I believe the SE phones are now using T9 predictive input for text, which is surprisingly fast and easy to use. Probably even faster than pen based input on a p800 / p900. Take a look at the t630...even has iBook styling.

Whats the difference between the T630 and the T616? I just got the T616, but now I wish I would have waited for the T630 'cause the styling is waaaaaaaaaay coooler...the T616 is a great phone though!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Thanks for all the advice folks!

Fish
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Mobiledia has a ton of good information that might help here
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I'm on the fence between the p900 and the Nokia 6600.

I believe the 6600 will be out next month and I'm leanin' that way.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

? I just got the T616, but now I wish I would have waited for the T630 'cause the styling is waaaaaaaaaay coooler...

I assume by this statement that you actually PAID MONEY for your T616? There are quite a few places giving away T616s for free with 1 year activation. Yesterday AT&T was giving away T616s for free with any activation and any plan. Get one now for free, then buy the T630 when it comes out early next year!

-------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

I assume by this statement that you actually PAID MONEY for your T616? There are quite a few places giving away T616s for free with 1 year activation. Yesterday AT&T was giving away T616s for free with any activation and any plan. Get one now for free, then buy the T630 when it comes out early next year!

-------------

RosettaStoned

Yeah- I had to pay money for my new phone because I was already subscribed to AT&T and I stayed with them.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Whats the difference between the T630 and the T616? I just got the T616, but now I wish I would have waited for the T630 'cause the styling is waaaaaaaaaay coooler...the T616 is a great phone though!

Mainly just the styling...but there are supposedly some screen improvements (better picture and ability to view in landscape) and a very slight difference in weight. I kind of prefer the look of the t610 / t616 myself.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Just a note about having to buy your phone - if your contract was up/available for renewal or cancellation, most companies will give you a good deal if you just talk to them. For example, when the first year of my ATT contract was over, I saw that other carriers had better deals than I was on....i simply called ATT, told them I was planning on leaving to use another service due to the price (not true - the other service had horrible coverage in my area), and they met that price. On a related note, I just did the same thing with my DSL - a competing Co had it for $20 a month less than my current one, I called, and am now saving $20 a month!

Fish
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Mainly just the styling...but there are supposedly some screen improvements (better picture and ability to view in landscape) and a very slight difference in weight. I kind of prefer the look of the t610 / t616 myself.

the T630 has a TFT screen so it will definitely be better, but it may not make much diff on a screen that small? ima pick up a 616, not only is it free I think att acually gives you $50 credit on your account. I alwase thought it sucked you get no deals if your already a subscriber as tacojohn mentioned. So my dad and I alwase play the name game, and switch out our names every year at new contract time.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

the T630 has a TFT screen so it will definitely be better, but it may not make much diff on a screen that small? ima pick up a 616, not only is it free I think att acually gives you $50 credit on your account. I alwase thought it sucked you get no deals if your already a subscriber as tacojohn mentioned. So my dad and I alwase play the name game, and switch out our names every year at new contract time.

My friend had a T610 and he felt that the screen was too dim and stuff. I'm not fond of T630's styling but I'm sure its screen is much better.

As for Treo 600 vs P900, they are not very much different in size/weight.

As an owner of a P800, I'm quite impressed with the general experience, but the following are a few turn-offs:

1) syncing is still flaky with iSync/iCal (very sure the P900 suffers the same problems)

2) Bluetooth integration with AddressBook still does not work as promised

3) lack of apps (free ones especially... compared with things like DataViz's DocumentsToGo for Palm OS, such programs are just coming out for the P800/P900 platform)

4) expansion format - you're stuck with Sony's Memory Stick Duo format on the P800/P900, and other than just memory cards I've not seen anything useful. On the other hand, with SD and MMC on the Treo, you can get very cool stuff like video-out. And it's obviously more future-proof since the format is more widely adopted.

5) weak address book/calendar features as compared to Palm's...

And personally, I think SE messed up the P900 design.

Here's what's good about the P800/P900:

1) better screen (for sure, especially on the P900)

2) Opera on Symbian beats the pants off Blazer browser; not as stripped down

Heh that's about it... I'm seriously lusting over the Treo, so obviously I'm a bit biased. Anyway, if I were you, I'd get a basic phone right now and wait till in-built camera quality improves before getting a camera phone. Makes more sense since the current offerings are pretty weak, taking photos that are grainy and stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    my two favorites are:

-treo600

-danger/hiptop sidekick

major thing i dont like about the P800/900 (no keyboard).