Buyer's remorse: eMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

moire

The eMac's CRT uses a non-trinitron (phosphor mask type) screen. These screens often produce moire patterns as the scanning guns beam a pattern through an offset grid-like pattern on the screen itself. OTOH, trinitron screens use an Aperture Grill, a screen of thin wires that form really long slots. Because the openings are larger, the trinitron screen seldom produces the moire patterns that occur with non-trinitron screens. LCD's also avoid this problem since each pixel is it's own color source (one pattern is not fired onto another)

Apple could have at least chosen a decent CRT for the eMac, they didn't, pathetic.

I don't like CRTs either. I currently have a 19" NEC Multisync FE950+ trinitron monitor and it sure has issues. It is impossible to make all sides straight on this screen and it has serious issues with convergence. Also radiation is tiresome for the eyes. I'll take a TFT screen instead of my CRT anytime. I'm still holding out for a new 15" Powerbook. May they come soon so I may leave this hell they call Windows.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

not ugly. it has distinct edges, something i really miss in modern cars. audi shmaudi. Too pretentious for me.

buying a $3000 17" powerbook just to surf the 'net might also be considered pretentious by some.

i admit, i cant afford the PB17 or the audi S4, but i like to dream big. but, FWIW, ive seen more men driving a golf than women. so go for it!
  • Reply 43 of 68
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ethar

This car is girly? You've got to be kidding me.

It's not macho, that's for sure. I've never been one for touring-style/rally-style racers. All of them seem feminine to me. No souped up Lancers, WRXs, Focuses, etc. No thanks. Either gimme a solid feeling saloon car like a BMW 5-series (or even the 3-series) or give me:

YES YES YES YES

It's a matter of liking cars the go blubblubblubblubblub instead of whirrrrrrrr while idling. Or ROOOOOAARRRRR instead of BWAAAAAAAAA at speed.

Mmmmm
  • Reply 44 of 68
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Aren't preferences a kick? I was born in Europe, raised in Africa and am now in the US. Fascinating, fascinating I tell you to have experienced all these cultures, I'm continuously amazed at how people see the world according to what others around them think is cool or not.

The eMac actually has it's own cool personality if you ask me.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

I'm continuously amazed at how people see the world according to what others around them think is cool or not.

Look, child, the Golf is virtually a flop in the US...It was even taken off the market for a few years in the 90s because there wasn't demand. They never advertise it because they know it's not the VW everybody here wants. I see more Passats around than Golfs despite the heftier price tag. I see more Jettas around too. Maybe it's the practicality of having a trunk?

It's either not macho enough, or too conservatively styled, too small, or not as economical/affordable as a Japanese competitor, or some suffering from some other deficiency.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The Passat is a lot of automobile. The eMac's probably closer to the Golf. It's not as sleek and flash as the Beetle, but quite similar under the hood. It still carries a premium over many other imports. It's the quintessential chick car. I'd say the eMac and iBooks are the chick cars of the Mac world.

A Golf GTI would be sweet! Chipped w/some boost on the VR6 it'd be a sweet little 2 door wagon/coupe. Now the Jetta, there's a chicks car. I don't really see it with the Golf though...

I always liked the personality of the eMac, similar to the iBook. Clean lines, customize the OS... like the iBook, expansion is limited.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

A Golf GTI would be sweet! Chipped w/some boost on the VR6 it'd be a sweet little 2 door wagon/coupe.

Look, child, forget the GTI. You should be drooling over the R32 anyway.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

A Golf GTI would be sweet! Chipped w/some boost on the VR6 it'd be a sweet little 2 door wagon/coupe.

would it have this many horses?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Look, child...

So, condescension is your new hobby, huh?
  • Reply 50 of 68
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

So, condescension is your new hobby, huh?

What do you mean "new"?
  • Reply 51 of 68
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

not girly, just ugly. sorry.

this girl never wanted a VW bug... i prefer performance cars. from the VW Corp., i'd go for the audi s4 with its 4.2 litre V-8.

(i hit 500 posts...nice!)

The R32 is a performance car And it costs 33% less than a new S4.

One of my friends does have a 2001 S4 though, and it's damn nice.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:

It's not macho, that's for sure. I've never been one for touring-style/rally-style racers. All of them seem feminine to me. No souped up Lancers, WRXs, Focuses, etc. No thanks. Either gimme a solid feeling saloon car like a BMW 5-series (or even the 3-series) or give me:

YES YES YES YES

It's a matter of liking cars the go blubblubblubblubblub instead of whirrrrrrrr while idling. Or ROOOOOAARRRRR instead of BWAAAAAAAAA at speed.

Mmmmm

I have a bike that goes whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, and it only has about 90hp. But it can blow away anything that doesn't fall under the "exotic" category.

But I guess that means I'm not "macho."
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by ethar

The R32 is a performance car

but it's still a Barbie on steroids... pumped up to be like AH-Nold, but it's not Ah-Nold.

• Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:

but it's still a Barbie on steroids... pumped up to be like AH-Nold, but it's not Ah-Nold.

You going to take that from a girl, ethar?! The R32 is WEAK! Doesn't even have the aggressive look of the Focus RS.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Cars are for pussies, real men ride Harleys
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:

You going to take that from a girl, ethar?! The R32 is WEAK! Doesn't even have the aggressive look of the Focus RS.

The RS is even weaker than the R32 And the aggressive look comparison is just an opinion...I still think the R32 looks better as well

Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

Are you kidding? The Schwartz would be lucky to be compared to a car like that. The R32 is more like Jet Li, all light and cool and quick as hell. 8)
  • Reply 57 of 68
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Cars, schmars... who cares? If it gets me from point A to point B, and doesn't waste a lot of gas, that's fine with me.

All the more money for computer upgrades.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I have just changed my cars, a coupe that i loved for a bigger car for my family.

During the process i have considered to buy a Passat : it was a good car, well built, but without a strong personality. This car have also been developped more than six years ago and a new generation is on the way. So i made an another choice.

That's why i make this analogy. Now if somebody wants to kiss his Passat : feel free for him to do so. Passat are good cars, and nobody should be ashamed to have one.

Who said ashamed? Should I be ashamed? Oh no!

::runs out and hugs the Passat tighter::
  • Reply 59 of 68
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think a better analogy than Passat vs. Golf/Jetta/Beetle would be Toyota vs. Volkswagen. Maybe the Passat is kind of bland compared to the other VWs, but it still seems like more fun than a Toyota. You could get a Camry or a Passat and either way you'll get a great vehicle. But the Passat will cost more for a more interesting car. Same applies with Corolla vs. Jetta, Echo vs. Beetle, or Matrix vs. Golf. With all of those decisions, you get a great car either way, but the VW offers more personality (for more money). That's how I feel about the eMac.

Anyway, I've been thinking about it less because I just got UT 2003 and Jedi Knight II and UT 2003 is running really well since the latest update! My eMac is now worthy of LAN parties. As for JKII, well... it seems to be really poorly optimized. No matter how low I go with the settings, it's ALWAYS slow in large, wide open spaces. On the other hand, I can crank it up to 1152x864 with maximum effects and everything and still get an excellent framerate in smaller rooms. On one level, I was forced to cheat because it was getting literally 1-2 frames per second even with the graphics set as low as they go. It's still a fun game, though. Lightsaber combat is cool .
  • Reply 60 of 68
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Cars are for pussies, real men ride Harleys

Nah, Ducati 999s.