Identify this bug (found in my place)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, I've lived in my apartment for five weeks and have found two bugs. The first was a large flying cock roach outside of my front door and the second is pictured here. It was crawling around and I have never seen anything like it, but then I have seen very few bugs, being from originally up by the lake, where most bugs freeze away.

Anyhow, I don't think it is a roach, it seems to long. It was really hard to snap a good picture of. It moved about very sluggishly. Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    oh, i just found it! Apparently it is a "stink bug"

Anyone ever have a "stink bug?"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DN

• Reply 2 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Looks like the body-snatching alien in The Hidden
  • Reply 3 of 43
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Whatever it is, I'd hate to go to bed thinking about one of them crawling around the place. In your ear. In your mouth...I really don't like bugs.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    When I was a kid, we were told not to step on them or they would emit a nasty smell.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

Whatever it is, I'd hate to go to bed thinking about one of them crawling around the place. In your ear. In your mouth...I really don't like bugs.

yeah, neither do i. i'm moving to canada.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That's a stinkbug? I always thought they were round and black. I have a bunch over here in California that are the size of a dime and are brown and reddish. (No purple whatsoever) They are slow & stupid, and LOVE tomato plants.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

That's a stinkbug? I always thought they were round and black. I have a bunch over here in California that are the size of a dime and are brown and reddish. (No purple whatsoever) They are slow & stupid, and LOVE tomato plants.

Slow and stupid, that is certainly what this bug was! It left a pretty weak stink when it died too. This is one critter that I think has some evolving left to do.

Cali? I bet you're just loaded with bugs.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    You kinda get used to them after a while.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Here is what I found:

• Reply 10 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ah, the notorious stink bug (aka bee assassin). It crawls in your ear while you're asleep and lays its eggs in your brain. About 3 days later the grubs begin the excruciating process of eating their way out.... They say even the strongest men go completely mad after only a few hours.

I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
  • Reply 12 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its the HyperHMMSHole bug. Eat it and you can access all hotmail accounts.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Ah, the notorious stink bug (aka bee assassin). It crawls in your ear while you're asleep and lays its eggs in your brain. About 3 days later the grubs begin the excruciating process of eating their way out.... They say even the strongest men go completely mad after only a few hours.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Aren't those only indigenous to Ceti Alpha 5?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    LOOK CHILD, THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey keep it around; if it's an assasin it may stab one of those nasty f*cking spiders we were talking about a few weeks back, should one happen along. Then again, as big as some of those things were, the beetle would have to be the size of a twinkie to stand much of a chance at "stabbing" the spider to death.

Kinda looks like one of those Asian Longhorn Beetles too, only with normal-length "horns" / antennae. I bet it likes to burrow into dead trees to lay its eggs... all those tree beetle things tend to look alike.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Aren't those only indigenous to Ceti Alpha 5?

Or was it Ceti Alpha 6?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

yeah, neither do i. i'm moving to canada.

um, i wouldn't suggest that. having just lived there for five years, i can tell you this little beauty is fairly common (house centipede - "Scutigera coleoptrata").

we were so freaked out by the site of one late one night that we caught one and took it to the local museum entymologist (sp?) to identify it.

moves with wicked speed, and all those legs kind of wave as it scurries along, making it look really alien in nature. especially common in basement apartments and furnace rooms in winter, due to the extra heat and insulation. utterly harmless, and incredibly fragile (they practically disintegrate when you squash 'em).
  • Reply 18 of 43
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

um, i wouldn't suggest that. having just lived there for five years, i can tell you this little beauty is fairly common (house centipede - "Scutigera coleoptrata").

we were so freaked out by the site of one late one night that we caught one and took it to the local museum entymologist (sp?) to identify it.

moves with wicked speed, and all those legs kind of wave as it scurries along, making it look really alien in nature. especially common in basement apartments and furnace rooms in winter, due to the extra heat and insulation. utterly harmless, and incredibly fragile (they practically disintegrate when you squash 'em).

ooooooo, I hate those. They are everywhere near lake michigan. My place has zero bug except for these every once in a while. ugh
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

So bugs aren't frozen out of canada? We used to get these in our basement in Northern Ohio. they are fast! I think they like warm and moisture when it's cold outside (hence basement, i think). I guess there is no getting away from ugly bugs.

I'm in Athens, OH tonight and it seems the whole town is overrun with little lady bugs. Ick! They are everywhere
  • Reply 20 of 43
    We have the pleasure of both the stink bug and that house centipede here in the great state of Idaho. And you thought taters were our only claim to fame...