Problem with Dreamweaver MX and Panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This may be an ISP issue and/or a coincidence, but since installing Panther, I can no longer access my remote folders. Dreamweaver connects but then either sticks or quits before the folders appear.

I checked the edit sites function and all's well including the connection check. Has anyone else had this or is it a bad day at the office for the ISP?

All other internet functions are fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajaysongs

This may be an ISP issue and/or a coincidence, but since installing Panther, I can no longer access my remote folders. Dreamweaver connects but then either sticks or quits before the folders appear.

I checked the edit sites function and all's well including the connection check. Has anyone else had this or is it a bad day at the office for the ISP?

Absolutely NO PROBLEM synchronizing et al...

Jb
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Cool, at least I know Dreamweaver's OK ... been having a lot of ISP problems lately. I take it you didn't reconfigure anything. Just when it connects it just freezes or quits.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Dreamweaver MX has connected to three different servers with problems since I updated to Panther, actually Dreamweaver seems to be less quirky and respond a little quicker. I didn't have to reconfigure anything. My version is from the original Studio MX series, not the new Pro or 2004 Studio MX if that means anything. Sounds like it might be your ISP, I know from my own experiences that Dreamweaver does not like weird ISP behavior.

Maybe one of these OS X geniuses could tell you some preference files you need to delete or something, I don't really know what else to do other than the usual repair permissions, etc... or maybe re-install Dreamweaver.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

You have passive FTP on?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I've double checked my remote settings in Dreamweaver ... passive FTP is on.

All I get is Host found and then no connection ... it just stays at this point. I've 3 sites using different hosts and my cable modem was checked today.

This all started with Panther and I'm completely stuck ... just hoping it's something simple.

Can anyone who's using Panther without this issue give out any settings they have. I'm not using sharing and switching off the firewall makes no difference.

I connect via ethernet and this is set to automatic.

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

I've double checked my remote settings in Dreamweaver ... passive FTP is on.

All I get is Host found and then no connection ... it just stays at this point. I've 3 sites using different hosts and my cable modem was checked today.

This all started with Panther and I'm completely stuck ... just hoping it's something simple.

Can anyone who's using Panther without this issue give out any settings they have. I'm not using sharing and switching off the firewall makes no difference.

I connect via ethernet and this is set to automatic.

Thanks

God I have no idea. My connections get dropped a lot, and can be really slow, but this is just because Adelphia sucks my rump (same in 10.2). I just looked in the sites setup, and everything is just set plain and simple. My setup is just a cable modem hooked directly into this machine, with the firewall turned on.

Maybe try trashing DW, and all DW prefs, and reinstalling? Keep the prefs around - test it with all new prefs, then if it works, put your old prefs file back in?

I assume you can connect to the internet fine anywhere else? This is weird (and really annoying for you I am sure )
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Yeah, it's annoying OK! All other internet stuff is fine .... I'll try trashing preferences. My main area is music, not web design, hence I'm a little hesitant over this stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Having reinstalled, repaired permissions etc, could this be a memory thing? For web stuff, I'm using an imac 700 with 256mb of ram and 10.3

The moment it connects ... bam every time
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Having reinstalled, repaired permissions etc, could this be a memory thing? For web stuff, I'm using an imac 700 with 256mb of ram and 10.3

The moment it connects ... bam every time

It doesn't really sound like a memory issue - MM products have a tendency just to crash when running on low memory machines. I am totally baffled - I would definitely post on the MM support forums and see if anyone else is having your issues.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    The response I had there seemed just as baffled! Here's what my memory's up to with Dreamweaver open.

Wired : 46.78MB

Active :115.58MB

Inactive :89.86MB

Used :252.21MB
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

The response I had there seemed just as baffled! Here's what my memory's up to with Dreamweaver open.

Wired : 46.78MB

Active :115.58MB

Inactive :89.86MB

Used :252.21MB

If you haven't done so already I would check with Macromedia to see if there is a Dreamweaver update available. I know they have several issues on their tech site regarding Panther (i.e.: F9, F10, F11 keys reserved for Expose, Fast User Switching, etc.) but they may have updated the MX Updater package with updates for Panther. Just a thought.