Panther killed my iPod!! :-(

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It was low on batteries the other day. I had just enjoyed picking up panther from my post office. So after I installed and set up, i plugged the thing i to charge. But then it started acting funny, there is a cd lokiing icon that i have never seen b4 spinning with a magnifying glass over part of it. I thought maybe it was Panther since killed an ipod b4, so i put it in jagaur and reset the iPod and then connected. It did the same thing. Why do my ipods keep dying? If i have to replace this one it will be my 4th one. But yeah, working iPod till Panther no worky after.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    that icon that you saw is showing you that your ipod needed to be repaired, this happens when you disconnect it from the computer or dock without un mounting it first....
  • Reply 2 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    From your description, if there's anything wrong with your iPod, it can probably be remedied by reseting it or, more aggressively if needed, by reformating it.

Did you give up on the previous iPods this quickly, assuming they were utterly dead and in need of replacement when perhaps all they needed was a little help via software?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    well i guess i should be more clear...

1st the ipod resets automaticaly as soon as it is connected, it never connects to the computer, therefore neither the reset from software nor the reformat will work isnce it is never seen.

2nd i have reset the ipod, probably like 20 times.

it has comeleted its search, repair twice now.

3rd, i went into the tools thing, left+right+select after restart. tested the hd and it came up as fine.

4 it was correctly unmounted, i had also played music on it the entitre day prior to connecting to panther.

5 now i didnt give up on the iPod quickly, i took it to an apple store after i had done everything, and he did even less than i did b4 he declared it dead and gave me a new one.

i have only paid for one ipod but this is my third one. I think they are great, and i could understand if they were rendedered unusable by something i did, but random stuff doesnt sit well with me.

but to sum it up... no connection to computer, thus software is of no help! iPod will reset and play music, but will not sync back up to computer without reseting it self and scanning again.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    greetings,

i'm glad that i read this thread. i had the same problem with a pre-release of 10.3 that completely killed my iPod. i had to get a replacement from Apple.

i had the exact same problems. the iPod wouldn't connect to my computer after i had installed 10.3 and would just hang forever. i kept removing it and eventually, it stopped turning on.

interesting

na
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I had just installed Panther.....SWEET! However, #1 - CHAT...have to go to the Toolbar to Add Buddy, no more (+) to add a bud. #2 iPOD - How can I get teh iPod to accepth the MAILING ADDRESS portion of Contacts in the Address Book. All I've ever done was drag names over to Contacts in iPod and all was fine. Now everything EXCEPT the ADDRESS is shown. HELP!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    The problems experienced seem to indicate Panther bites the iPod like it does other firewire drives. I'm not touching 10.3 until the problem is sorted out.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    New iPod with dock connector or old iPod without one? My older iPod works just fine with Panther. Apple released an update for the older iPods since Panther. I installed it on my iPod, of course, but I have had no iPod issues....yet... However, the most recent firewire drives seem more at risk to this problem for some reason.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mine is the new 3g 15GB iPod. the same problem happened now that i've installed the official 10.3 release. wierd. i love 10.3 and will continue using it but until a 10.3.1, i will refrain from using my iPod.

na
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I have my 3G 30GB iPod and 1G 5GB iPod connected to my G5 and synced to iTunes and .Mac without any problems...Also used a CCC backup of Jaguar to copy an OS9 folder from my 3G over to my Panther install w/o any problems.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny

New iPod with dock connector or old iPod without one? My older iPod works just fine with Panther. Apple released an update for the older iPods since Panther. I installed it on my iPod, of course, but I have had no iPod issues....yet... However, the most recent firewire drives seem more at risk to this problem for some reason.

This is an old iPod with ALL updates except the one FOR the new iPod. I had received advice from Apple about using iSync via .Mac. It WORKED perfect and synced my contacts and calenders effortlessly....now, will Apple fix this problem BEFORE I'll have to subscribe to .Mac? We'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    panther killed my FCP projects using FW800 drive.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hmm, I've had the CD icon show up on my 1st gen 10GB iPod, of course I was mucking with the firmware and the firmware configurations in the iPod (invisible files).

I believe to restore the iPod from the locked CD icon mode, I had to delete some invisible firmware configuration files in the iPod, then I could reinstall the firmware on it, and everything worked. Maybe nuking the drive would have worked too.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

I'm not touching 10.3 until the problem is sorted out.

No kidding. I have the disks sitting here, but it sure as hell isn't going on my powerbook until I know it won't destroy my 1/2TB of data in firewire cases.