Xserve: Where the frick is G5 Xserve ??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
what in tarnation is keeping G5 Xserve from release?

these guys are killing me. they're screwing up my whole time frame. c'mon release already. how long have the G5s been out? they can't cram one into a pizza box for me? ooo this makes me so mad. get it out. get it out already.

even the rumor sites have little to offer in the way of hopeful tidbits.

who in their right mind is going to buy a G4 Xserve now?

what kind of sense does it make to have this product line langiushing like this?

now that Panther is out - there is no excuse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesigns

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a G4 Xserve - it's fast for many things.

But I can tell you one thing. Oracle 10g will be released for all other platforms late this year and early next year for Mac OS X.

The reason is not a technical one but a marketing one. How 'bout a G5 Xserve running Oracle 10g (which would just love the 64bit processort) announced in January.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Me.

That's who. I bought one last week because I need a server NOW not RSN.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

I bought one a few weeks ago direct from Apple because they offered me one hell of a deal. They're probably trying to clear inventory of the G4 versions by cutting prices. I have no regrets.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

what in tarnation is keeping G5 Xserve from release?

these guys are killing me. they're screwing up my whole time frame. c'mon release already. how long have the G5s been out? they can't cram one into a pizza box for me? ooo this makes me so mad. get it out. get it out already.

It does seem to be taking a bit of time doesn't it. I have to believe that there was some parallel design activity between the desktop and the server implenmentations so you have to wonder whats up.

Quote:

even the rumor sites have little to offer in the way of hopeful tidbits.

Yep people are slipping here a bit. On the other hand server users probally aren't preoccupied with rumors.

Quote:

Well I would, if one I had the money and two could get the discounts I keep hearing about. Lets face it ths is one nice little machine and as far as "server form factor" hardware goes very flexible.

Granted I would be kick my self in the Hieneken if the new 970 based machines came out a week later. I would on the other hand realise that the G4 will perform nicely for some time.

The biggest fear is that the new system will be more radical then mayby some suspect. Too radical and I would have very little need for it. I'd be perfectly happy with a 970 based XServe with more or less the same features as we currently have just alot faster. I hope Apple is listening here, but one of the most importnat features to retain is the abiltiy to plug in a high pefromance video card.

Quote:

what kind of sense does it make to have this product line langiushing like this?

now that Panther is out - there is no excuse.

• Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kernel Panic

I bought one a few weeks ago direct from Apple because they offered me one hell of a deal. They're probably trying to clear inventory of the G4 versions by cutting prices. I have no regrets.

So just how good is that deal now adays?

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 40
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

I have to believe that there was some parallel design activity between the desktop and the server implenmentations so you have to wonder whats up.

Yeah except for that server not failing part. You don't ship servers that might be failsafe, especially if you are trying to get into the market. Maybe servers have a slightly longer product test cycle?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Hmmm, lets see, Apple have just rolled out a new cpu, with completely new system architecture, and a new OS.

I think they are doing the right thing spreading out the roll out of G5 machines. How long did it take for pentium 4's to become standard fare after their release?

I expect that Apple have done heaps of work preparing other machines for G5, but, they do have limited hardware design capabilities, and they will be waiting to see that all of the major isssues with the powermac are ironed out. Expect the G5 roll out to take a year. Untill then, buy a powermac and put it in the bottom of the rack.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    resres Posts: 711member
    Remember, stability is the most important thing in the server market. I don't think we will see a G5 Xserve until we get OS 10.3.1. It is far better for Apple to take its time and come out with a super stable server than rush out the fastest one they can with only so so reliability.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    I certainly don't diagree with your statements, servers do have to be reliable. But we have to consider how long the 970 has been available to Apple before the G5 was even announced. Since Apple was at ground level with the development of the 970, that means that they most likely have had access to these chips for a couple of years now.

If there is alot of development going on with XServe right now then we must be looking at something with slightly radical changes from the current XServe. That is my suspicion anyways. What that may be is up in the air at the moment, but a system with hot swappable blades would be cool. That is just wild speculation so don't hold me to the swappable blade idea.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Remember, stability is the most important thing in the server market. I don't think we will see a G5 Xserve until we get OS 10.3.1. It is far better for Apple to take its time and come out with a super stable server than rush out the fastest one they can with only so so reliability.

• Reply 10 of 40
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Since Apple was at ground level with the development of the 970, that means that they most likely have had access to these chips for a couple of years now.

Perhaps, but it wasn't finished until a couple months ago. Now it needs to show stability before they will use it in a server.

As I said before, the little tidbit I heard from an Oracle employee gives me a feeling that Apple will release a G5 Xserve in January/February.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

they can't cram one into a pizza box for me?

In addtition to all the good points regarding dependability, I think your pizza box would be a pizza oven using the current form factor. Maybe they'll come out with a bigger box for the G5 and keep the G4 1U around for those who don't need the power of the G5. Then again I'm out of my depth when it comes to servers, so what do i know.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Pizza, NOW!
  • Reply 13 of 40
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

... As I said before, the little tidbit I heard from an Oracle employee gives me a feeling that Apple will release a G5 Xserve in January/February.

Good, there are tidbits on Macrumors about Xserve G5 in 4 months or so. Should make for a very nice Oracle 10g configuration.

Meantime, for file and web, G4 Xserve is plenty fast enough.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Good, there are tidbits on Macrumors about Xserve G5 in 4 months or so. Should make for a very nice Oracle 10g configuration.

Meantime, for file and web, G4 Xserve is plenty fast enough.

I'm thinkin' BIG MAC ... it's getting HUGE press for Apple, and you can bet the moment they get the 970 down to 90nm, it'll be slammed into an Xserve faster than you can say "Take THAT Itanic!".

Oddly enough, Apple may have finally found a way into the enterprise!

Stop and think about this one folks, cause this kind of irony can only be measured on the Richter scale ... Apple, the "Toy" computer, the computer news.com is so fond of saying yer mother uses 'cause it's so cute, finally makes it's way into the enterprise NOT by way of the desk of the administrative assistant (as everyone thought it might, since it's so easy to use) ... au contraire! but rather, as the most powerful cluster beast IT types in their brightest compensatory fantasies can ever hope to dream of ... go ahead, pinch yourself, this is really happening!

Gentlemen, I believe we have finally found the thin edge of the wedge, in the last place we ever expected.

cheers!

<says the proud owner of a '98 Penfold's Grange>
  • Reply 15 of 40
    that's all well and good yet i'm still all strung out here on...

Quote:

"imminent"

!
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Where the frick is my G4 Xserve?

Ordered it 2 weeks ago and it's still 'being reviewed' ...
  • Reply 17 of 40
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Where the frick is my G4 Xserve?

Ordered it 2 weeks ago and it's still 'being reviewed' ...

nice purchase harald!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

nice purchase harald!

It's shipping today (just found out). So, ***confirmed*** G5 Xserve released tomorrow!
  • Reply 19 of 40
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Actually I'm hoping that Apple uppdates the G4(to use 7457s) Xserve AND releases a G5 Xserve. Why you migh ask?

It's because they appeal (strongly) to different markets, the G5 is for people who want maximum preformace/initial price quote whereas the G4 is for people

who want not only the above but low running and "space" costs.

Let me explain, say that you are running a serverfarm, first you will wan't to have to use as small a space as possible for minimum rental and maintanence costs

(the G4 Xserve would most likely use a smaller formfactor then the G5) secondly you want a CPU with a good MIPS/Watt quote, so that your running costs and heat evacuation costs are kept to a minimum. So IMO the G4 (7457) preforms "good enough" while keeping costs down to a minimum, a feature that undoubtedly will sell some servers.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    this is how i think the G5 will spread to the other macs:

Early-Mid 2004 G5 Xserves

Mid-Late 2004 G5 iMacs (revamped) or some oher replacement

product line

Late 2004- Early 2005 Powerbook G5

Mid 2005 G5 eMacs or some other replacement product line

Late 2006 G5 iBooks

2007 Introduction of G6 in Powermac?