iMac's future

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple updated the iMac line by adding a new display. No other changes that I'm aware of.

To me, this means that iMacs will not be getting a speed bump or faster bus until MWSF. That is too long. Apple cannot update it's computer lines once per year and expect good sales.

Does anyone think there is a chance that Apple will update the iMac's "base" when new Powermacs are introduced?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    I think Apple has starting to realize (and Mac users will too) that they need to stop updating all or most of their products around MacWorld and update them throughout the year. Purchases slow 2 months before MacWorld and stop 30 days before. Once they break this cycle, sales will even out.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Apple updated the iMac line by adding a new display. No other changes that I'm aware of.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about GeForce4MX graphics?

I don't think Apple feels they need to update iMac right away - I think priorities are for the PowerMac and rightfully so.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member

<strong>Apple updated the iMac line by adding a new display. No other changes that I'm aware of.

To me, this means that iMacs will not be getting a speed bump or faster bus until MWSF. That is too long. Apple cannot update it's computer lines once per year and expect good sales.

Does anyone think there is a chance that Apple will update the iMac's "base" when new Powermacs are introduced?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never really expected an update this week, I'm surprised they went 17" actually, but it makes sense if you consider Apple had a load of iMac inventory which could be easily retrofitted with 17" screens.

A full bus/cpu update would mean throwing away a few parts I'd guess (motherboard?).

I dunno, but I didn't expect anything...
  • Reply 4 of 38
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member

<strong>...Does anyone think there is a chance that Apple will update the iMac's "base" when new Powermacs are introduced?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    No. I don't see a bump until 3 to 4 months out for the iMacs. PowerMacs will be introduced long before then, they are so long in the tooth as they say.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
    I believe that today?s introduction foreshadows a couple of trends and likely future products from Apple:

First, the old ?one size fits all? iMac philosophy is gone. For the first time we have graphics and screen options which makes it possible that Apple will be more inclined to offer additional options and further differentiate the line down the road.

I raised the issue of a ?full line-up? of iMacs in another thread and continue to think that this will greatly benefit both Apple?s bottom line (although maybe not for a while in this climate) and the overall appeal of the iMac.

Second, it seems likely that Apple will introduce a 19? and/or a 17? Cinema display in the near future to update their display line and continue their shift towards widescreen displays.

Lastly, given that the new iMac soundly steps on the low-end PM, the web noise regarding new PM?s in a month with substantial mother board improvements seems spot-on.

With regard to the iMac, if I had to guess:

October: Speed-bump, 800 MHZ & 1Ghz, 15? superdrive gets GeForce 4

Around MWSF: New motherboard plus speed bump GeForce 4 across the line with possible graphics upgrade for 17?.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Blackcat

"I never really expected an update this week, I'm surprised they went 17" actually, but it makes sense if you consider Apple had a load of iMac inventory which could be easily retrofitted with 17" screens."<hr></blockquote>

I agree completely. I expected some lame upgrade to the PowerMac's, 1.2GHz-1.4GHz G4, no DDR(not even the Server style), no upgrade to the bus, maybe larger harddrive and better graphics card.

Maybe, this means the Powermac upgrades will be more compelling..............

after further pondering, nah, in the next couple of weeks we'll get that same lame upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    when the powermacs are updated in mid-august, the imac should be updated (along with the ibook and powerbook) in terms of mhz. i fully expect a ghz imac in a months time
  • Reply 9 of 38
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

<strong>

I never really expected an update this week, I'm surprised they went 17" actually, but it makes sense if you consider Apple had a load of iMac inventory which could be easily retrofitted with 17" screens.

A full bus/cpu update would mean throwing away a few parts I'd guess (motherboard?).

I dunno, but I didn't expect anything...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wrong -- this is not just a retrofit of a new display. The graphics chip changed from the 2MX to the 4MX, and that is soldered onto the motherboard.

My guess is that Apple targeted the single biggest complaint about the iMac -- display size & resolution. With this relatively simple change they broaden the appeal of the iMac line and (hopefully) get a new set of buyers.

Keep in mind that regardless of the opinion of most of the AI crowd, a very large portion of the potential iMac buyers don't give one whit about the clock rate of the machine... adding a few MHz is not going to significantly impact iMac sales, especially in the current economic climate. People aren't buying and its not because its only 800 MHz.

Apple is clearly downplaying the whole MacWorld keynote "event" thing. We are going to see most future hardware introductions completely independent of any particular event. Apple already gets lots of press at a MacWorld -- they now need to be in the press more often. Introducing products at seperate occasions gets them more press more often, and that is a good thing. It also keeps us on our toes, gives them flexibility around when they switch over product lines, and allows them to be more incremental in their upgrades. 17" screen now, clock rate bump a couple of months later, etc. We'll see the PowerMacs when it makes sense, not when the next MacWorld is scheduled (unless the two happen to coincide).
  • Reply 10 of 38
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>Keep in mind that regardless of the opinion of most of the AI crowd, a very large portion of the potential iMac buyers don't give one whit about the clock rate of the machine... adding a few MHz is not going to significantly impact iMac sales, especially in the current economic climate. People aren't buying and its not because its only 800 MHz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For me the iMac was a cute and useless computer simply because of the small screen until today, but now the 17" model looks very interesting indeed. Considering that if I went with a powermac I'd go with the lowend model anyway whish is 1599. Now for 400 more I get twice the hard disk, a 17" TFT screen, a GeForce4mx (which is faster than Radeon 7500) and the SuperDrive and it all fits on my desk. Right now the 17" iMac is the best deal Apple offers and if the low-end PowerMac will continue at 1599 one can only guess what kind of tasty features Apple will pack into the new models.

Heck, even my "bah, what should I do with a Mac?" friend finds the 17" iMac very interesting right now.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I agree that Macworlds have become less and less about hardware announcements. It seems it's almost too difficult to control the inside info that seems to slip out before a MW.

I am completely comfortable with new hardware introductions (especially pro) as company events and not media shows. Consumer devices definately fit in better at those (a la iPod, today).

I find it amazing that a company holds events like these to announce products anyway. Don't get me wrong it is a very good amazing, because Apple treats the products very personally and they obviously care about the product and it's user experience. I can't remember how many times in the past 2 years or so that things were changed on Macs, or in OS X because of user feedback. When was the last time this type of trust was placed in the hands of end users from a company other than Apple?

I think it's just a matter of company philosophy, and that is why great things will always be given to us from Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "Right now the 17" iMac is the best deal Apple offers and if the low-end PowerMac will continue at 1599 one can only guess what kind of tasty features Apple will pack into the new models. "

I agree. Totally.

Now. If they can just bump the processor and bus.

I'll begin sweating... The widescreen iMac looks almost amazing value. I wanted bigger screen and graphics card. Got 'em. Just the cpu bump...and...almost there...cheque book getting itchy...

Programmer. You are spot on re: Apple's strategy.

I think they are right to do so.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 13 of 38
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Ooops, I didn't realize that the Geforce 4mx was new. Nice.

So Apple updated the display AND the video chipset...but not the CPU. Too bad they didn't bump the G4 clock speed up a notch, but nevertheless, I think this upgrade alone is better than a clock speed boost alone.

This marks the first time in history that the iMac has had a display that truly rocks. 17" widescreen LCD is awesome, I would actually buy one of these.

It will be surprising to me if the Powermacs get a major revision putting their low end at 1.0 to 1.2 GHz, and the iMacs high end remains at 800 MHz. That's a big gap and as always Apple continues to fight the performance gap.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Definitely a nice update. I know several people (including my best friend, who will be buying an iMac after today) who kept saying "damn, that's cool, too bad the display isn't a little bigger".

I'm not saying a 15" 1024x768 display isn't adequate, but I just know lots of people are extremely happy now that it's larger and has an improved resolution.

It's a great machine.

Oh, and don't forget the 80 GB hard drive, guys. An iMac with 80 gigs of storage - how cool is that.

• Reply 15 of 38
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Yeah 80 GB is huge.

I bet lots of people are going to go for the 17" iMac. And since the margins on that $2000 iMac must be enormous, Apple is going to be doing well.

The price is high, but the iMac has a LOT of features you don't find on Wintels. Superdrive, mondo HD, Firewire, and of course OS X.

If Powermacs get the sort of speed bumps that some rumors are suggesting, then I bet the iMac gets bumped to 1 GHz sometime this fall. But I'd take one as is and not think twice about it.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    This puts the iMac right in the sights of the designer/creative crowd. It suggests two things, a separate 17" wide screen monitor (ditch the 15"?) and that Apple are very confident about the PowerMac upgrade coming shortly.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member

<strong>So Apple updated the display AND the video chipset...but not the CPU. Too bad they didn't bump the G4 clock speed up a notch, but nevertheless, I think this upgrade alone is better than a clock speed boost alone. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to wonder if there are heat issues in that little hemispherical case that may limit what Apple can put in it. The power consumption of a 1 GHz 7455 w/ 133 MHz bus & L3 cache is considerably higher than that of an 800 MHz 7455 w/ 100 MHz bus. Similarly, there is one of the reasons you don't see any WIntel machines like the iMac -- they have to compete with clock rate (its the basic culture of the PC marketplace), and thus their processors put out way too much heat for such a small, elegant enclosure.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Well my hopes for an across the board iMac price drop only partially materialized today with the 15" Superdrive model going back to $1799.

The new 17" is a home run, and if it were actually shipping today I would have already ordered one. But, since ship times are 2-4 weeks, I'll hold out for the Power Macs on the 13th.

As far as updates go, I don't see any for the remainder of the year. The big question is the motherboard of the new Power Macs. If they are nForce2 based with a real memory bandwidth fix, then the iMacs will inherit a similar board at MWSF. No sense in an interim Fall update in that case.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with the iMac line except the price. Look for a straight price drop on the 15" models in October, making way for an all nForce2, all 17" line up in January.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think heat is an issue. They run a 133bus and 1MB of L3 on the TiBook which is a much tighter fit. iMac is not as small as it looks on the outside, and the design is very smart. The metal inner case acts as a giant heat sink the CPU and GPU have heat piping transfering heat to the metal body. Between this metal body and the outer plastic shell there seems to be a slight gap. The top and bottom of the dome are both vented. Hot air rise from inside, this little convection current draws cool air from underneath and is expelled on top. The small fan at the top is perfectly placed to speed this current as if flows between the plastic outer case and the metal inner case making the whole shell into a big heat exchanger. Very neat.

TiBook is also agressive in it's cooling measures, but it isn't as perfectly shaped for this function as the iMac. Take a listen to one, I've had a chance to use two of them, and the fan is VERY quite. I doubt it has to spin fast at all. Any heat concerns could be adressed by upping the RPM a bit and adding some more ducting inside the metal dome.

The real reason has to do with Powermac sales. the 17" iMac is a great deal for professional artists on a budget. The Ti, with 133Mhz bus and 1MB L3 actually bests the 800Mhz tower in some performance benches, and it's a laptop! A Superdrive LCD iMac 17" with a GF4MX, 133Mhz bus, and 1MB L3, would leave no reason for anyone to buy either the 800 or 933 towers unless expansion and dual display were absolutely critical.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    I agree with Matsu. It's well engineered and even has a cooling fan. And does a 1 GHz G4 produce much more heat than an 800 MHz G4? If so, and if Ive's and crew didn't account for this, then this would be a MAJOR design oversight and as soon as Jobs heard about it, heads would roll.

It's that the iMac has no headroom because of the Powermacs. If Apple bumped the iMac's MHz any more, then they could kiss their low end tower sales goodbye.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>