Can cinema display be refurbished

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 22 inch ACD which is about two years old. It is definitely not as bright as it used to be. When new I would run it two or three bars below maximum. Now I run at maximum and it still is a little dark. I imagine in a year or so it will be darker still. I guess this is happening because the bulbs in the backlight are dimming.

Q1. Can the backlight be easily replaced? Can I do this myself? Where does one get a replacement?

Q2. Does anyone have experience with Apple covering this under Applecare?

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to replace the backlight... However, I do know that the cinema display comes with a one year warranty that is extended to three years if you buy the display with a Mac and buy AppleCare for them. AppleCare covers anything you buy with the Mac at the same time - Airport cards, RAM, displays, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Thanks. I did buy Applecare for this and my G4 tower so I still have a couple of years to go. I was just curious if Apple will repair this or if it is considered normal wear and tear.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Send it to Apple as a warranty issue. Call up the support line, tell them the issue. Then kindly, but firmly, keep them going until they agree to send a box and take look at it.

Since it's under AppleCare, they'll probably be glad to. Also, it sounds as if the backlights are dying. With an Apple Cinema Display, 3-5 years is decent performance. Two is not good. Those "bulbs" are very expensive for the non-warranty repair.

If there is an Apple Store near you, take the thing in to a Genius Bar. They can send things to Apple repair as well, and have the repaired/look-at item sent back your home address.

If the bulbs are really as dim as you describe, Apple may well replace them for you.

Good Luck.

JC
  • Reply 4 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Thanks for the comments. I think I still have a lot of use left in this. I want to be prepared so I can act before Apple Care expires.