iSync not working with address book

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm trying to sync an empty address book on my desktop (Panther newly clean installed) with one on my .mac account, but after I sync I have two random entries appear.

I've tried 'reset devices' with info from .mac but still nothing.

huh?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

I'm trying to sync an empty address book on my desktop (Panther newly clean installed) with one on my .mac account, but after I sync I have two random entries appear.

I've tried 'reset devices' with info from .mac but still nothing.

huh?

So you don't get anything at all or you get two random entries in addition to your old entries? And you've reset your devices? Do you have a backup?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    my addresses all show up fine if I log onto .mac from a browser, but they're not downloading into my now empty address book on my desktop. Just two addresses appear to have transfered over.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    He he.

I've had EXACTLY this today, after Firevault hosed my settings. Great feature that.

Aaaaaaanyway, what worked for me is this: I could see it doing its download thing in iSync, but never actually doing anything. Like you, my address book at .Mac was fine. Nothing would budge it. Those 2 addresses will be 1) Apple and 2) Your "Me" card, right?

I looked at the log.

It kept saying "Synchronize failed" because it couldn't find my P800. So it was going right the way to the end, and then not executing the changes.

If you have a device in iSync that isn't around or is mis-firing, disable the sync. See what occurs.

HTH ...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I actually have 2 other random addresses there in addition to me and Apple. But I also have other devices not connected at the time, so I'll try your suggestion later, thanks
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tried to sync with only .mac and my iPod (which was connected) and still it refuses to download my .mac addresses into Address Book.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Grrr.

Check the log ... see if there's something causing it say 'sync failed,' and also try and temporarily turn off sync with the iPod.

Good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    the log seems fine. no failures.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

the log seems fine. no failures.

Damn, how annoying.

You know what else you could do: unregister your computer from .Mac, go to your library and remove your Address Book folder from Application Support (don't throw it away just in case), re-register your computer with .Mac.

It'll say "For first sync ..." and offer you the choice of over-writing your computer data.

Try that ... and if that doesn't work try percussion maintenance ...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Two clean installs of panther. One on a DP 450 and the other on a 12 inch iBook. They both went off without a hitch. Did immediate syncs with iSync 1.3 and they both went off without a hitch with .mac. All of my contact data from address book, my safari bookmarks and my iCal data went exactly where it was supposed to go.

bob
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tried unregistering and re-registering. iSync seems to be updating a lot of info but then still nothing in the Address Book. Which file should I dump in the App Support folder? I couldn't find one for Address Book.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I have the same issue. All I get on my iPod is my info and Apple's info. None of my contacts or calenders transfer to the iPod via iSync!! All since Panther!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

tried unregistering and re-registering. iSync seems to be updating a lot of info but then still nothing in the Address Book. Which file should I dump in the App Support folder? I couldn't find one for Address Book.

I should have been more specific, sorry.

There are two App. Support folders ... one in /library/ and one in /users/YourName/library ... you want the one in your Home folder library. There's a folder in there called AddressBook.

What worked for me was quitting Address Book, unregistering from .Mac, taking the whole damn folder out (Address Book will recreate it on launch), re-registering and Syncing. Then launching the damn app.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Can I sync with Entourage?