What replaces the "Favorites" menu option in panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Alright- the only gripe I have with panther is apple took away the "Favorites" menu!

I always kept my network mounted drives in there so I could connect to my schools file space.

Do anyone know of a way to create a short cut of some sort so I don't have to use the "Connect to Server" all the time? I created an alias in my home folder, but that's still not as simple as just clicking on an alias in the favorites menu and having it mount on the desktop...

Thanks!

P.S. Would it be worth it for me to use File Vault on my iBook 500?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Huh. I hadn't realized that it disappeared. I guess that goes to show how much I used it!

Anyhow, you could drop the Favorites folder (located at ~/Library/Favorites) into the Dock. That'd give you one-click access to everything also

As for FileVault, I'd recommend waiting on that. Too many people have reported problems with it. Besides, it's only necessary if you are extra paranoid about your work because Mac OS X's permissions settings already do a fantastic job at hiding your files from other users. The only difference with FileVault is that if someone actually physically got access to your computer's hard drive, they couldn't just attach it to another computer to get the files out.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Uh, me thinks the sidebar on the left is the new place for your Favorites
  • Reply 3 of 4
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Quote:

I always kept my network mounted drives in there so I could connect to my schools file space.

The Network icon in the sidebar.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

The Network icon in the sidebar.

That only shows drives on your local network. This is mounted over the internet.