15" 1.25, potential fan problem.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i just picked up new 1.25 ALbook, and so far so good.

But... i had VPC running on it for last 6 hours, and this machine is almost too hot to touch. Bottom and hinge especially. My old 1GHz Ti wasn't a cool running comp either, but nothing like that...

Yet i can't hear any fans spinning.

do i:

a) call apple and possibly send it for a repair and risk of getting one with wh*** ****s (don't want to jinx it).

or

b) wait for this thing to melt, and then send it in

?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wait for it to melt then send it in.

after backing up of course.

do you know if the fans start automatically when you shut down and reboot? it's been months since i've shut off my powerbook so i don't remember, but something like that might not be a bad idea.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    No they don't

we'll see

• Reply 3 of 12
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

No they don't

we'll see

My fan always comes on at 335 K (142 F or so), if that helps you at all. The temperature never goes above 337 K, even with bigfatnumbercrunching going on.

Get "temperature monitor" or some other program to help you diagose --- if you call Apple and can tell them the temp gets above X temperature all the time, they will be more apt to listen to you.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    machem, i thought G4 used in albooks don't report cpu temp..

but i will look 4 temperature monitor and report back.

nevermind that, confabulator widget doesn't work, but temperature monitor does.

326K and rising, and i'm just to about do some serious work...

336.2K ... i think fan just kicked in , , boy is this a silent one.

temp at 336.4K and stable.

Thanks machem.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hi, i've just received my alu 1.25 super

first thing i did was watch a dvd in bed, holding the powerbook with my legs, knees raised, just like i used with my ti550

after one hour the alu was awfully hot, i couldn stand the temperature with on my naked skin. my ti550 was very hot but not to this degree. the fan didnt kikc in at all during the movie (my ti would be in helicpter mode)

i dont know, it stays very cool otherwise, but you cant watch a movie holding with bare skin (notice though i was rechargigng the battery as i was watching the movie)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    There is something woefully wrong with this batch of PowerBooks. I have had two (which were returned) that got extremely hot (145°F+). The fan would come on for a few minutes and then shut off, yet the heat kept on coming. Ouch! My legs felt sunburned for a couple of days, because I wasn't expecting that intensity of heat. I thought the 7447 G4 processor used in these things was supposed to run cooler?!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I know, mine get darn warm too... i still prefer the heat to the noise my GhzTi makes as its trying to chill that pesky G4 CPU....

I find that my 1.25 will get pretty hot but not on the palmrests and only when pluged to the mains and doing intensive stuff.... I love the fact that these machines are so quite - Noise is the main reason I'm moving away from the GhzTi...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'd rather have fan noise so that the inside is properly cooled, than suffer equipment failure due to heat.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Went to the Little Rock Comp USA today to check out the new i-books and Powerbooks.

No new i-books yet, but that was some beautiful screen on the 15" Powerbook. The left palm rest on the 12" was very warm to the touch, but the 15" was not to bad. The sales rep said the demo had been running on both machines most of the day.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

machem, i thought G4 used in albooks don't report cpu temp..

but i will look 4 temperature monitor and report back.

nevermind that, confabulator widget doesn't work, but temperature monitor does.

326K and rising, and i'm just to about do some serious work...

336.2K ... i think fan just kicked in , , boy is this a silent one.

temp at 336.4K and stable.

Thanks machem.

I didn't come back and see this thread again until today. Glad you got some info. Sometimes this sucker seems real hot. Other times not so much. I've never seen mine above 337 K, though. Sometimes 325 feels hot. Must be me.

This fan has kind of a fluttery sound, which is a bit different than I've heard before. That can throw you also.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Mine is at 328K (130 F) right now. It does get extremely hot, though. I notice it most when playing graphic-intense games. Either way, I'm sending my computer back to Apple because it has white spots...

What temperature would you consider to be too hot?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleMaster

Mine is at 328K (130 F) right now. It does get extremely hot, though. I notice it most when playing graphic-intense games. Either way, I'm sending my computer back to Apple because it has white spots...

What temperature would you consider to be too hot?

Anything above 335 K. Right now I'm running a simulation, and it's fluctuating between 332 (fan on) and 335 K.

Generally, I off-load sims to my other machines, but if I'm not using the PB at the moment, it gets them, as it is the fastest single processor I have, and I'm not doing week-long jobs at the moment.