System Prefrences -->Other-->Hardware

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What is the point of this...what do the difference options do? I have never noticed this until today.

What is the difference between having the 'nap' check box checked and unchecked.

Why does my L2 Cache keep being at none isntead of the other option of 512KB.

Also when I do "Show control in menu bar" it doesn't do a damn thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What is the point of this...what do the difference options do? I have never noticed this until today.

What is the difference between having the 'nap' check box checked and unchecked.

Why does my L2 Cache keep being at none isntead of the other option of 512KB.

Also when I do "Show control in menu bar" it doesn't do a damn thing.

You must have a Dual G5 with CHUD tools installed... thats how you install those preferences... when you check the NAP the metal screething type noises stop but Apple doesnt recommend checking that
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I have a PowerBook G4 15". One of the new ones. I guess I installed the CHUD tools last night with the developer stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

I have a PowerBook G4 15". One of the new ones. I guess I installed the CHUD tools last night with the developer stuff.

Nap mode helps in power-saving. When a processor isn't doing much, it'll sorta go into a partially asleep state...the downside is that it takes a split second longer to go back to full-bore when needed.

Nap is enabled by default on portables, I think. On my Power Mac G4, enabling nap seems to introduce some instability.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    If you have CHUD installed, you should find the Update CHUD utility and update to 3.0.1. The L2 cache thing is funny in 3.0, plus CHUD 3.0 doesn't recognize the 7457 in PBs.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Is nap different then telling it in energy saver to automatic processor performance? If so is it better to have it on or off? I guess I should keep the cache on...is there any benefit to having it off?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Is nap different then telling it in energy saver to automatic processor performance? If so is it better to have it on or off? I guess I should keep the cache on...is there any benefit to having it off?

Processor performance options in Energy Saver reduce the clockspeed of the processor. Nap just shuts down portions of the processor...unused functional units and such...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I think the menu item is only for dual systems... it will allow you to only turn one processor on if you so desire.

At least, that's my guess... I just have an iMac so it never worked for me.