Which is better for me: powerbook/ibook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I will be going to college soon, and options are starting to open so which of the following do you think is the best value, I think I will be using the laptop for: watching movie files, Playing Warcraft III (let's say), word processing, e-mail, internet, and IM. ok so here is the setups I am thinking of:

12" ibook with:

-664 MB RAM

-40GB HD

-Airport Extreme

-800MHz PowerPC G4

-256K L2 cache @ 800MHz

-Combo Drive

-ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

32MB DDR video memory

For $1,245.00

OR a 12" powerbook with:

-256MB RAM

-Airport extreme

-1GHz PowerPC G4

-512K L2 cache

-40GB Ultra ATA/100

-NVIDIA GeForce FX

-Go 5200 (32MB DDR)

-Mini-DVI out

For $1,488.00

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    You should be more than happy with the iBook. The RAM is really the deciding factor there. And you save a couple hundred $$.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Get the PB. I need one for all of the same reasons you do and I decided on the PB 15". My friend has an ibook, that is what got me interested in Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ack, conflicting info... so which matters more, RAM, CPU speed, or cache size?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    How about a 3 month old 12inch Powerbook 867MHz G4 640Mg RAM and 40 Gig with Superdrive Airport Extreme for $1200.00 obo?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

You cannot increase the CPU speed or the size of the cache, but you can always add RAM a month or two later when you have more money...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

RAM. Seriously save the couple hundred bucks and get something nice for yourself. The iBook is perfect for what you need. I play WCIII on my powerbook (867 mhz) with maxed out ram and it plays great.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    can you buy the airport card later at the apple store and add it onto your powerbook? I think I will get a powerbook (want that 2 ghz extra ) and then later buy more RAM and an airport card. The monitor VGA port is an extra I like . Also, can any RAM work that has the same DDR speed and so on?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

can you buy the airport card later at the apple store and add it onto your powerbook? I think I will get a powerbook (want that 2 ghz extra ) and then later buy more RAM and an airport card. The monitor VGA port is an extra I like . Also, can any RAM work that has the same DDR speed and so on?

You can add the airport card later. Both the iBook and Powerbook have ports for external monitors.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    The keyboard on the PB12 is worth its purchase alone.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    get the iBook and drop the excess RAM. You can use the difference to buy an iPod