Any iTunes friendly 64mb mp3 player?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I need one primarily for use in the gym and for the odd short run. While I love my trusty 5gig iPod, it doesn't cut it for rigorous physical activity.

So, I'm looking for a cheap small solid state player that might hold 10-12 songs (64mb) that is also, iTunes friendly. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

First of all, you'd want to have one that can play AAC (MP4) and that doesn't require special software to transfer files.

What's wrong with MP3's? Audio quality is not that important. I still have my iPod for that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    What do you mean itunes friendly? The ipod is the only thing that can be manipulated with itunes.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Some of the older Rio players are excellent for workouts. I have both an iPod and a Rio player and I always use the Rio for running, biking, etc. It's light and durable. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've banged it around and/or dropped it. You could probably pick up a 64MB Rio for cheap now, especially with all the other players on the market. Most Rios are iTunes compatable. Mine required a firmware update but that was it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

What do you mean itunes friendly? The ipod is the only thing that can be manipulated with itunes.

Uh...not really. iTunes recognizes and transfers to most USB based Mp3 players. Trust me, my Rio works just fine with iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Why doesn't it cut it for physical activity? You can get a holder and clip it to your pants. Or you can hold it in your hand if you just jogging on a tread mill or something like that, or just set it on the treadmill. I don't get it...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Why doesn't it cut it for physical activity? You can get a holder and clip it to your pants. Or you can hold it in your hand if you just jogging on a tread mill or something like that, or just set it on the treadmill. I don't get it...

I usually just carry my iPod when I run. From experience, clipping it makes it bounce too much (heavy) and if you run on a treadmill, putting it on a treadmill will mean that one day you will inadvertedly jerk the headphone cord and send your iPod flying (believe me, it WILL happen )

Otherwise, I haven't had much problems running w/ iPods, both old and new.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Well, I run alot. Marathon training so I can't/won't hold it in my hand. And as nguyenhm16 said, clipping it really is too bouncy. Yes, there's some belt pack but that's rather obtrusive. When I run, I want something as light as possible.

Let's face it, the iPod with it's hard drive mechanism is not really geared for very rigorous activity. Solid state MP3 players are better suited. That's all.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Well, I run alot. Marathon training so I can't/won't hold it in my hand. And as nguyenhm16 said, clipping it really is too bouncy. Yes, there's some belt pack but that's rather obtrusive. When I run, I want something as light as possible.

Let's face it, the iPod with it's hard drive mechanism is not really geared for very rigorous activity. Solid state MP3 players are better suited. That's all.

I've run as much as 12 miles at a time with my iPod in my hand. The benefits of music outweighs the hassle of holding it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

I've run as much as 12 miles at a time with my iPod in my hand. The benefits of music outweighs the hassle of holding it.

I'm usually running with a group for long runs (20-32km range)so the company helps. It's only the "shorter" runs when I'm on my own that the occasional music helps. For me, holding anything in my hand while running is un-natural and not good for my marathon training. But if it works for you, great.