new features for safari?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i love safari. i've played with firebird, camino and mozilla but i just like safari the most. however, i do think there are a few features that safari should have:

-i'd like to be able to open multiple tabs at launch

-i'd like the option to open links from an application in a new tab

-more options for what happens when you open a new tab (home page, blank page, same page or bookmark menu)

and i'm also wondering why safari doesn't run flash smoothly in the background?

what else would yall like to see?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You CAN open links from an application in a new tab. Preferences -> General -> Open links from applications and choose "In current window" rather than "In new window." If you have tabbed browsing enabled, it'll open a new tab in the current window when you have "current window" selected.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    * New tab with the same page in the tab you were currently on (Mozilla can do this)

* Type-ahead find (Mozilla can do this)

* Full screen/Max Screen (Saft does this, but costs $10)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I'd like to be able to bookmark all the open tabs with one quick command.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    thanks for the help, but i was actually wondering what other features you'd like to see and not what other browsers can do...
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Here are the features that Hyatt has already said will be in the next Safari update:

Quote:

And in case you're curious, here's what we've already got working post 1.1 in WebCore that you can look forward to:

(1) Support for the title attribute using tooltips

(2) The ability to tab to all controls in a Web page and to manipulate them from the keyboard.

(3) Support for table border collapsing.

(4) Support for the CSS cursor property.

... and a whole lot more ...

Quote:

I can whet your appetite with more WebCore stuff that we've implemented since Safari 1.1: small-caps support, fixes for first-letter and text-transform (the ugly doubling text effect is gone), fixes to first-line, and speed improvements to DHTML

...for the folks that have a wish list. I know that I've been wanting #2 for a while.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I want to be able to rearrange tabs like I can icons in the dock. I also want to be able to pull a tab, or group of tabs, off into a new window.

I desperately want better handling of cookies. I don't want to go in and clean them out. I want to keep a small set and always lose the rest when I quit.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    adding to what bunge said, I'd also like to be able to pull a seperate window into a tab of another window...
  • Reply 8 of 17
    - pipelining, like mozilla, to have multiple simultaneous threads loading stuff. Pages load faster when you are loading all the elements at the same time.

- keeping sockets open, a la mozilla, so that as soon as you connect to a page, all subsequent links from that domain load hella fast, you do not have to establish a connection again.

these two things are the reason mozilla and its offspring are so fast as compared to Safari.

And... the ability to click on a drop down menu on my menubar, and THEN middle click on a link to open it in a new tab. IE: click on 'News' and middle-click NYtimes.com from the list to open it in a new tab.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

- pipelining, like mozilla, to have multiple simultaneous threads loading stuff. Pages load faster when you are loading all the elements at the same time.

- keeping sockets open, a la mozilla, so that as soon as you connect to a page, all subsequent links from that domain load hella fast, you do not have to establish a connection again.

Both those things can be classified as "bad behaviour" from an internet stability standpoint. I'm guessing Hyatt & Co probably left those out intentionally.

I'm just surprised that NO ONE has made any sounds (not even Brad) about Hyatt moving portions of Safari from native to the XUL interface.

EDIT: He's gone too far this time. He's implemented the <marquee> tag.

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I'm just surprised that NO ONE has made any sounds (not even Brad) about Hyatt moving portions of Safari from native to the XUL interface.

No he didn't. He implemented XUL in Safari, but it has nothing to do with the interface. XUL is meant for applications running in the browser - not the browser itself.

Implementing XUL is a good thing if we want to keep Microsoft from taking over another market with their XUL rip off XAML.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

He implemented XUL in Safari, but it has nothing to do with the interface. XUL is meant for applications running in the browser - not the browser itself.

Bingo.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I know that I've been wanting #2 for a while.

Yeah, no kidding.

I could also sure use an option to save a web page with graphics.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Oops.... my bad

I got XUL confused with XPFE

I guess the KCompany folks will be happy to have XUL support in KHTML now though

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Full screen/Max Screen

Hells yea! This is my favorite IE/PC feature and ironically every single diehard PC user I know hates it. With a passion. They're like "Where did my menu go!?" I think it's just because PC users aren't as good at using computers. I mean they're smart, even CS, students, but they just don't know how to explore interfaces and haven't discovered how auto-hide and show menu work.

Quote:

YES YES!

Quote:

Both those things can be classified as "bad behaviour" from an internet stability standpoint. I'm guessing Hyatt & Co probably left those out intentionally.

I never understood this reasoning. If mozilla does it, it can't be bad behavior??? If it makes Safari faster then I say go for it, as an option. Besides I have never seen it cause any problems in Camino/Moz.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

If mozilla does it, it can't be bad behavior??????

on so many levels
  • Reply 16 of 17
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I really just need resumable downloads.