G5's Dust Gathering Capacity

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just opened my G5, which has been running for three weeks now, almost full-continu.

It's dust gathering capacities are formidable, I must say.

Now what's the best way to remove this dust once a while from it's interior?

1) Vacuüm-clean, with the risc of damaging the internal components;

2) Pressurized air spray (which could make the dust go further in, not out of the case);

3) Just leave as is, having enough dust to knit me a really warm sweater next winter...

I have the G5 on my desk, not the most dusty place in the room, I'd say.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reactor

I just opened my G5, which has been running for three weeks now, almost full-continu.

It's dust gathering capacities are formidable, I must say.

Now what's the best way to remove this dust once a while from it's interior?

1) Vacuüm-clean, with the risc of damaging the internal components;

2) Pressurized air spray (which could make the dust go further in, not out of the case);

3) Just leave as is, having enough dust to knit me a really warm sweater next winter...

I have the G5 on my desk, not the most dusty place in the room, I'd say.

i have to admit, i was worried about this same problem when i saw the g5 for the first time. all those fans and that grille must equal a hell of a lot of dust buildup. factor in pets and windows open when it's nice out, and you'll be swimming in it in no time.

i guess apple expects you to be working in a clean-room (edit: as in those industrial, vacuum-packed, all dust is incinerated on sight and everyone walks around in moon suits just to make themselves a sandwich kind of "clean room"), just like their white keyboards expect you to not eat anything and use clean gloves while typing.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Well, the room is clean (no 'clean-room', though), it's just that having it on 24/7 pumps the available air across the room over and over, so any dust present will ultimately end up on the floor (being vacuümed) OR in the machine.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    [never mind!]
  • Reply 4 of 27
    in response to your original question, i would say stick with the compressed air, aand fire it in small controlled bursts toward the back of the machine, where the fans would normally blow that dust. obviously, don't hold the can tilted too much, or you'll jet cold condensed air all over your components (trust me, that's not good).

you can go to a computer store and see if you can pick up a static-free mini-vacuum. they are usually intended for copiers and printers that need toner sucked up on occassion, but not damage the computer internals. just make sure to check the packaging, web site, and staff to make sure it is rated for use inside a computer.

lots of dust is always a fire hazard, but i doubt you have enough to worry about in that regard over these past few months. in a year, i would definitely start considering a healthy clean-out.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reactor

Well, the room is clean (no 'clean-room', though), it's just that having it on 24/7 pumps the available air across the room over and over, so any dust present will ultimately end up on the floor (being vacuümed) OR in the machine.

Well think of it this way: you get a great computer as well a air filter for the price of one!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    With two cats and two rabbits in the house, not to mention that my G5 is sitting on the floor on top of a carpet that's still new enough to be shedding a few fibers from the low-traffic areas... I suppose I should make a point of inspecting the inside of the computer now and then.

It still looked pretty good, however, about a week ago when I added more memory. I've only had the G5 since 9/26, so maybe it needs a little more time to get really grungy.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Just put it up on something, and there won't be as much dust.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    hmm... same problem here... maybe just use one of them dust collecting cloths
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Ok... so I know how to solve your dust problem.

1) Take a large brown sack and open it wide.

2) Place G5 in sack.

3) Tie off sack.

4) Road trip to Hover Dam.

5) Toss off the side of the dam that has water flowing into the power-house.

6) Wait 30 min.

7) Pick up sack down river from dam.

All the parts inside the sack will be so clean you could eat off it.

Would this be covered under applecare?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

hmm... same problem here... maybe just use one of them dust collecting cloths

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those dust cloths work on some sort of principle related to...static? But a miniscule amount like present there wouldn't matter would it? Still wiping something through, and across the mobo etc. doesn't seem like a stellar idea to me. IMO.

Maciek
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those dust cloths work on some sort of principle related to...static? But a miniscule amount like present there wouldn't matter would it? Still wiping something through, and across the mobo etc. doesn't seem like a stellar idea to me. IMO.

Maciek

ya, i never tried it because i wanted to make sure it wouldn't do anything funky
  • Reply 12 of 27
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    After reading this post, I was provoked to check my other computers for such buildup and found about 1 years worth in one of my boxes. It being a lowend PC I found no problem running some tests including a vacum cleaner.

So...

I tried cleaning with a vacum (the long tube that extends, not the rolling part) and found it quite effective initially. After most of the excess dust was sucked out, I took to it a round paintbrush, about 1 in. thick, but lightly while keeping the vacum hose at a distance. The paintbrush managed to dislodge most of the dust in hard to reach places and the suction created by the vacume sucked everything out. I booted up the machine without flaws, thus concluding that it was pretty safe.

I'm not guaranteeing this will work on the tower becuz I don't have one, so try it at your own risk.

Maciek.

PS. Use common computer sense, grounding yourself etc. ...even if this whole idea seems to contradict common sense.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

After reading this post, I was provoked to check my other computers for such buildup and found about 1 years worth in one of my boxes. It being a lowend PC I found no problem running some tests including a vacum cleaner.

So...

I tried cleaning with a vacum (the long tube that extends, not the rolling part) and found it quite effective initially. After most of the excess dust was sucked out, I took to it a round paintbrush, about 1 in. thick, but lightly while keeping the vacum hose at a distance. The paintbrush managed to dislodge most of the dust in hard to reach places and the suction created by the vacume sucked everything out. I booted up the machine without flaws, thus concluding that it was pretty safe.

I'm not guaranteeing this will work on the tower becuz I don't have one, so try it at your own risk.

Maciek.

PS. Use common computer sense, grounding yourself etc. ...even if this whole idea seems to contradict common sense.

i am REALLY surprised you didn't build up a serious static charge with those bristles roaming all over the place. seriously, check into an actual computer vacuum next time. the logic board you save may be your own.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    A couple of months ago I had an issue with my 15" Flat Panel iMac for which AppleCare sent a tech to my home.

He opened the bottom of the iMac and asked if I happened to have a can of compressed air.

I just so happened to have a can, so I gave it to hime and he started spraying it into the bottom and you would not believe the amount of dust that came out of it, I was stunned!

Our home is kept very clean and we have no pets, the iMac is sitting on a table no where near the floor.

I also think where you live can effect how much dust you get, we live in NYC and believe me we get alot more dust than others.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Just put some more memory into my G5 (now at 4GB). With the unit running constantly for about a month I had very little dust. I usually do a spring cleaning once a year on my machines and use both the compressed air and a vac. The compressed air will get to some dust that moving a vac around will never get. Unless you start hearing your fans running constantly or you think you might have introduced dust or smoke inside your machine, you should not have to clean your machine more than once a year or two.

reg
  • Reply 16 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Any time I ever upgrade computers or get to the innards I use compressed air from my air compressor. Not the caned stuff, but I have an actual air compressor. They are not that expensive (OK, $80 for a small one) but once you have one you will probably find some uses for it. Besides, it save all the money from the cans of air you buy and is refillable.

Anyway, whenever I have access to the inside of my computer, I take it outside and blow it off. It's simple. Take the nozzle and hose, get in there and blow the dust out. No worrying about spilling "liquid compressed air" if the can is not upright.

Oh, with those static wipe: Be careful, the static cleaning pad will not build up enough charge alone, (Always tough the inside of your case before and while cleaning your computer because the harmful static is caused by you and your clothes) but some of the pads can use corrosive chemicals that may damage the components of your computer.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    I use a Leaf Blower on my machines I know it sounds funny but Man it sure does clean the puppies out
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Today I cleaned out an old Yosemite with a can of air. BAM, that shit did the trick fast. I just took the box outside and hit it with the air through the included straw. When all the dust went subsequently airborne, I removed the straw quickly and fired a burst of dispersed air to clear away the dust cloud.

Cheap thrills, but it really did the trick. I don't know how the G5 case opens, but compressed air really does the trick on Yosemites.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Two things.

First, using a ShopVac that blows instead of sucks is great for dusting out computer cases. Hmmm, that just sounds...wrong for some reason.

Second, relating to it being amazing the stuff that you can suck into your computer - I used to do tech work in a comp store, and one system came in that smelled strongly like the hog barn it had been sitting in.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    After cleaning, wrap the G5 tightly with plastic sheets to prevent further dust settling inside