What Is Nap In CHUD?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi i installed Xcode the other day to see what it's all about and now the CPU thing in the system prefs has this nap option for my Dual 867Mhz....if i put it on i can hear the fan speed up a bit but i have no idea what is going on with this option on. Is it saving power or something? Can someone explain what it does to my G4 as i hear this is option is for G5 only yet i have it as well.

\

frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    All I remember is its something to do with the bus, A quick search of MOTs website, if there is such a thing, will turn up some info if you don`t feel like waiting for a reply.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    If it has to do with the bus then how come the fan spins up just a bit? Also what is MOT's website?

Frank_t
  • Reply 3 of 17
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member

While we're on the subject, why is my L2 cache turned off for my PowerBook? Menu options are None (current, apparently default setting) and 512k.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Hey

Where the heck are you getting these options anyways? It would be cool to check them on my comp.

Thank You.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 10splayer

Where the heck are you getting these options anyways? It would be cool to check them on my comp.

The Developer Tools include CHUD, a set of performance tools. Install the Dev tools, and the Hardware system pref gets installed as part of this.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    The thing i don't understand is why apple doesn't have a page somewhere explaining what this does.

So far the best info i could find on it is this from another post on another forum on the net.

"nap mode results in 3.7 watt usage vs (35.5-50.0) watt usage at full

throttle, but that doesn't answer my question as to what 'nap' is.

I get the feeling that 'nap' is like 'sleep' but how does it differ from 'doze'?"

If this is true then that means the CPU can run cooler like the G5's when it's not doing much but no word from apple if this is the same on the G4's as well where it will go back to full power when the user needs the CPU. I put it on and the OS doesn't feel slower....one thing i would hate would be if this on and off effect on the CPU would damage it over time

Frank_t
  • Reply 7 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    G4s and G5s support this sort of sleep mode that when not being used or heavily used they can go into a sort of low power/idle mode to save power and lower heat output (your fans will run less and be quieter).

the penalty i believe is it takes a split second longer to kick it up to full speed again.

at least that's my understanding.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Don't know what mac you have applenut but my Dual main fan sounds like it's going a bit faster when i put this on....i do love how it use's less power and runs cooler.

I also notice now that when ever i restart it doesn't keep the setting is there a way to make it stay with out needing to go to the perfs all the time and put it on?

Also how come there isn't a document explaining this feature from apple it self? I mean it cool that one can do this on there desktop as i only know of laptops doing this.

Frank_t
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It's just the CHUD tools which you can optionally install with the develeoper CD. I don't see any real advantages to using it for non programmers, I mean do you really want to turn off your cache?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I don't see any real advantages to using it for non programmers,

Bingo.

Looks like geek ego boosting material, little more.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    I'm not boosting .....if i can keep my CPU cool in summer (which is coming here) i want to know about it. How is that boosting?

Frank_t
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Google is your friend, folks. One search, first result:

Quote:

CHUD Tools Tip for G5 Beeping/Chirping Noises: For those that hear beeping or other noises (chirping-like sounds when moving windows, hiding/unhiding the doc, etc.) using Apple's CHUD tools to disable "Nap" mode seems to help.

however

Quote:

CHUD Tools 3.0.1 Update: Apple released v3.0.1 on Oct 13th (readme dated Oct. 10th) which has some fixes and improvements. The direct download link is here. See the readme for full list of changes/install info.

Note: See the report below from a Dual G5 owner that said Apple told him they do not recommend disabling Nap mode

Specifically:

Quote:

The rep also noted that internal AppleCare docs mandated that the reps tell people NOT to use CHUD tools/Nap fix to solve the problem -- apparently it is NOT good for the system.

From accelerateyourmac.

Options like this are meant for developers. If there was some sort of magic switch that made the system work better and faster and quieter and didn't cause problems, Apple would not hide it.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It's just the CHUD tools which you can optionally install with the develeoper CD. I don't see any real advantages to using it for non programmers, I mean do you really want to turn off your cache?

I only have it as I installed the Dev Tools to give X11 a whirl. (Boy, AbiWord needs some work.)

But now that it's there, I'm puzzled why it claims my Level 2 Cache for my Powerbook is turned off. It's this way in all settings, be it Automatic or Highest Performance. I'm not a developer, and don't want to fool around with things beyond my understanding, so I've left it alone... but could anyone help out in understanding why it's reporting this?

Thanks...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

While we're on the subject, why is my L2 cache turned off for my PowerBook? Menu options are None (current, apparently default setting) and 512k.

Hobbes - download the latest version of CHUD (3.0.1) and it will work properly on your PowerBook. It doesn't work because the version that ships with Panther is only 3.0.0 and that verison doesn't have the description of the 7457 chip.

I had the same problem but since the update it works fine - the L2 cache actually says 512KB.

You can download the updater at:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8506
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Minge

Hobbes - download the latest version of CHUD (3.0.1) and it will work properly on your PowerBook. It doesn't work because the version that ships with Panther is only 3.0.0 and that verison doesn't have the description of the 7457 chip.

I had the same problem but since the update it works fine - the L2 cache actually says 512KB.

Aha! Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I've installed Xcode on my machine and I don't have a hardware pref pane. I feel left out. :/
  • Reply 17 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    One thing to keep in mind is that some PowerBooks turn off L3 cache when running on battery.