Alternative Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is anybody aware of an alternative to Apple's Bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Don't know about bluetooth, but there are quite a few RF options out there. They are coming down in price now too.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'm using the MS one w/o problems.

the only issue being there's no apple key, although the Windows key is used as the Apple key. difference being there's only a Windows key on one side, instead of two.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Is there any advantage to using Bluetooth over a standard wireless mouse that I can get in any computer store and that advertises that it is compatible with Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Is there any advantage to using Bluetooth over a standard wireless mouse that I can get in any computer store and that advertises that it is compatible with Mac?

Well, assuming the BT mouse will work with Apple's built-in BT chip (on the newer PBs), it negates the necessity of using up a USB port. ALL the RF wireless keyboards/mouse uses up a USB port.

In fact, I'm looking for a BT keyboard/combo set that will work for both MAC and PCs. But it looks like different manufacturers have different BT 'stacks' that make BT products incompatible with each other. WHAT IS THE POINT OF BT if there isn't a STANDARD? I don't see BT catching on AT ALL, I'm afraid.

Sigh...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Well, assuming the BT mouse will work with Apple's built-in BT chip (on the newer PBs), it negates the necessity of using up a USB port. ALL the RF wireless keyboards/mouse uses up a USB port.

But what is the big deal about using up a USB port for a RF mouse? It is easy and cheap to buy a USB hub. Surely there must be some other advantages to BT, but I just do not know what they are. Greater range? Less interference?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    If Microsoft's bluetooth mouse works with Macs, it is much better than the Apple mouse. (Apple should really start using two buttons.)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

But what is the big deal about using up a USB port for a RF mouse? It is easy and cheap to buy a USB hub. Surely there must be some other advantages to BT, but I just do not know what they are. Greater range? Less interference?

The BT keyboards have greater range than their RF counterparts; I know-I know, who wants to type on their 'puters, more than 6' away?

There is also better security so that other people with wireless keyboards can't take control of your computer.

And lastly, it doesn't take up one of your USB ports, assuming you have built-in BT.