What do you still want back from OS 9?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    I didn't even know about the "Put Away" command, but now I miss it.

Elaborating a bit, I don't care so much about buttons (although they had their uses), but I do want some feature so that I could have a folder in my dock open menu style (not as a finder window) with one click instead of a click hold. I thought it might be slick to have it so a button would do this when in the dock, but it would be just as easy to have an option to make it open to a menu on one click when ctrl clicking on the dock item.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Speaking of folder actions, I'm somewhat confused about them. What do they do? How can I use them? I've never done AppleScript before so I'm completely new at that. Are there pre-made scripts I can download and implement, maybe modify slightly to suit my own needs? I did a search but I couldn't really find anything about folder actions.

Folder Actions are basically small (or not-so-small) AppleScripts that are sorta "attached" to a folder. In these scripts you can define AppleScript commands to execute and when these commands shall be executed.

A simple (and useless ) example would be a Folder Action that renames files as soon as they are put into the folder that the action is attached to.

In Panther you can attach Folder Actions to folders by using the "Configure Folder Actions" Application inside /Applications/AppleScript.

Also, some folder action examples come pre-installed with MacOS X Panther ( you can find them in /Applications/AppleScript/Example Scripts/Folder Action Scripts).

Greetings!

durandal
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Are you mad, the fact that I can click and you have to click and hold (I was careful to make sure you said that instead of control click) makes me the fastest.

Oh, I control click too, but i was more referring to the time it takes to load the contextual menu into RAM vs. the time it probably wouldn't take if it were a tabbed window.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

No, but to my knowledge theme are often a cause of instability and problems.

I've never (ever) heard of that being the case. If anything would cause system problems it would be what I call "constant-run" hacks, what others call haxies. Themes replace pictures, like Candybar does. They don't change how the OS behaves. Oh well, YMMV
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Save and Shutdown!!!!!!!

(aka hibernate)

WTF? I mean, seriously, when did Mac OS 9 ever have this feature?

Or did you completely miss the subject and point of this thread?
  • Reply 46 of 47
    I think that there was a special extension or something to enable that feature on portables, but I might be mistaken.

I didn't get a portable until OS 10.1 was out, so I can't say for sure.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hehe ok I was half serious, but Brad certain builds of OS 9 on iBooks did.

Here is what you said in a thread.

"Apple has had this ability since the smurf G3's, IIRC, but abandoned it because of voltage bugs. I wonder if they've considered fixing it up recently for OSX?"

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...e+and+shutdown

Apparently this feature was taken out and I know I'm beating a dead horse but damn this feature would be the most important addition to OS X for me and lots of other laptop users.