Tax Tax Tax Tax Tax..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Are the good old days over?

MSNBC Story

So is iChatAV as we know it forever going to be history?

What are your thoughts?

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Well that's just f'in great. The government needs to stay the hell out of my wallet as much as possible. Bah. Here's a novel idea for the states worried about the ban on Internet taxation costing them billions: STOP WASTING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON WORTHLESS PROGRAMS AND GOVERNMENT BLOAT!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

STOP WASTING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON WORTHLESS PROGRAMS AND GOVERNMENT BLOAT!

?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    You guys don't get it... this is about the phone companies lobbying congress and making campaign donations... this isn't about big government.

Phone companies are "hurt" by this... so they lobby for a way to make the technolgy unpopular.

If they were smart they would have figured out how to get video conferencing into homes on thier own phone lines... and charge and extra $10-20 bucks a month... but rather than invest in technology... they would rather have the consumer pay for thier lack of ingenuity.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

You guys don't get it... this is about the phone companies lobbying congress and making campaign donations... this isn't about big government.

Phone companies are "hurt" by this... so the lobby for a way to amke the service unpopular.

If they were smart they would have figured out how to get video conferencing into homes on thier own phone lines... and charge and extra $10-20 bucks a month... but rather than invest in technology... they would rather have the consumer pay for thier lack of ingenuity.

Exactly. Blame the lobbyist.

But how do we fix this? The moment someone mentions "public financing" of political campaigns people go frelling hazel nuts on the subject.

"Ain't going to let those dummies use my tax dollars to run"

Even though it would cost the tax payers a few hundred million and in the long wrong save BILLIONS of dollars since the politicians would not have to listen to the corp special interests in the country.

So instead of "TAX TAX TAX" one should be asking:

"Why is this country being allowed to be run by extreme special interests"

• Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Exactly.

So instead of "TAX TAX TAX" one should be asking:

Ohh I am asking. Special interests are in control. It is time to say enough is enough.

Boston Harbor anyone? Tea Party?

Fellowship
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Ohh I am asking. Special interests are in control. It is time to say enough is enough.

Fellowship

I'm sure most of the Haliburton employees can swim, so I'm not sure throwing them in the harbour would do much except increase business for local Boston dry cleaners.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Well that's just f'in great. The government needs to stay the hell out of my wallet as much as possible. Bah. Here's a novel idea for the states worried about the ban on Internet taxation costing them billions: STOP WASTING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON WORTHLESS PROGRAMS AND GOVERNMENT BLOAT!

No kidding BR. I see in my area how the local authorities spend money on so many things that just need to be curtailed. They spend spend spend and seem to have problems cutting back. Instead of cutting back they look for ways to find more tax revenue and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Period.

Fellowship
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Fellowship

Agreed. But what i am saying is that the mindset that so many of us go off on is seldom the root of the problem.

In this case the lobbyist. in others something else. so by asking my question instead of "tax tax" i just want to get people to think a little more becuase once the mindset is changed then we will all benefit from the progress.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Agreed. But what i am saying is that the mindset that so many of us go off on is seldom the root of the problem.

In this case the lobbyist. in others something else. so by asking my question instead of "tax tax" i just want to get people to think a little more becuase once the mindset is changed then we will all benefit from the progress.

Right on.

Fellows
  • Reply 10 of 48
    There isn't going to be a tax. . . I wouldn't worry too much.

At this point, information, internet, and data transmissions blow phone companies out of the water. land line analog communications are dying. . . rapidly.

Some of my co-workers live together in a house. They use the phone line for the TiVO. There are no land-line telephones in the house, yet they pay something like 50 a month for digital cable for the TV and internet.

So phone companies are lobbying, but data companies are bigger, stronger, and certainly have more money to throw around. Plus, I don't think the Bush administration wants to place a tax that could have an adverse effect on the rising economic trends.

Phone companies should instead charge for local calls like they do in every other country.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The idea that the states' financial problems all result from mismanagement and waste of funds is not something I agree with. It seems your opposition is more ideological (i.e. smaller government) than practical (i.e. programs that DO work, or areas where the government SHOULD be in our lives because of significant benefits). I'm not saying that all states run perfectly and never "waste" money. I'm sure anyone with two seconds of free time can find an example of a frivolous use of funds. I'm just saying that the reason for your opposition could be invoked for basically anything- even good programs (i.e. Medicare: stay out of my life!; Social Security: stay out of my life!; Head Start: stay out of my life!) And it often is. Does 'special education' ring a bell?

I think the Bush tax cuts play a serious role in reducing the amount of aid given to the states in hard times.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

The idea that the states' financial problems all result from mismanagement and waste of funds is not something I agree with. It seems your opposition is more ideological (i.e. smaller government) than practical (i.e. programs that DO work, or areas where the government SHOULD be in our lives because of significant benefits). I'm not saying that all states run perfectly and never "waste" money. I'm sure anyone with two seconds of free time can find an example of a frivolous use of funds. I'm just saying that the reason for your opposition could be invoked for basically anything- even good programs (i.e. Medicare: stay out of my life!; Social Security: stay out of my life!; Head Start: stay out of my life!) And it often is. Does 'special education' ring a bell?

I think the Bush tax cuts play a serious role in reducing the amount of aid given to the states in hard times.

Social Security is not a good program. Medicare is a disaster as well. SS should not be taken out of everyone's paycheck automatically. If it exists at all, one should have to opt-in to have the government manage their retirment funds. I don't know why anyone would though.

States shouldn't need federal aid in hard times. They should contract their budgets during hard times. It's as simple as that. You can't just go around increasing spending every single time the economy is doing well and tax revenue is up but refuse to contract spending when tax revenues are down. Spending increases no matter what the state the economy is in. That is the problem.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Social Security is not a good program. Medicare is a disaster as well. SS should not be taken out of everyone's paycheck automatically. If it exists at all, one should have to opt-in to have the government manage their retirment funds. I don't know why anyone would though.

States shouldn't need federal aid in hard times. They should contract their budgets during hard times. It's as simple as that. You can't just go around increasing spending every single time the economy is doing well and tax revenue is up but refuse to contract spending when tax revenues are down. Spending increases no matter what the state the economy is in. That is the problem.

BR when we having kids?

LOL

Fellows
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

BR when we having kids?

LOL

Fellows

I'm free on Wednesdays.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Gags.

Conservative love fests are creepy. hehe
  • Reply 16 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Gags.

Really. You guys, get a chat room....
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Gags.

I'm not a conservative.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I'm not a conservative.

I do not fit the title conservative. I am all over the map including libertarian.

Fellows
  • Reply 19 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Let's just say you're two peas in a pod and cover our eyes.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Let's just say you're two peas in a pod and cover our eyes.

When it comes to certain issues, yes. We are polar opposites when it comes to others.