pismo panic

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, our pismo, which was running jaguar 10.2.8 just fine a few days ago decides to kernel panic this morning. and strangely NOT the pretty jaguar-esque panic, but the full on "text breaking through the GUI' style of panic. now the computer will start, but can't find the boot drive. in fact, it can't find a VOLUME to mount, even when booted from my drive 10 disk.

reset PRAM to no avail. i have diskwarrior 2 at my disposal, which i may try next, but i don't have version 3. the computer suffered no physical trauma (like dropping it), but it did have a loose usb connector to a powered usb palm cradle, which i suspect triggered the chain of events.

anyone have any suggestions for next steps?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You could run the apple hardware test CD to check the computer for physical damage.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

You could run the apple hardware test CD to check the computer for physical damage.

damn. thank you so much for reminding me of that. i never used that cd until now, and guess what...

"Logic Board" test = "Failed"

thankfully, we actually BOUGHT the extended warranty, which runs out in January 2004. of course, while you can BUY applecare 24/7, you can only report a dead machine during normal business hours. sigh. another not-so-bad news is that we had archives of everything on her machine, in either cd or hard copy form, except for a couple months of email.

dammit -- i always hate losing a good mac. at least it's covered. anyone know what kind of turnaaround time we're looking at for this unit? until we geta working 'book back, me and the misses will be using the same computer. we don't share a computer well...

:/
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Turnaround time for me has always been spectacular. I'm talking send it in one day, wait a day, get it back the next. With any luck, you'll have it back by Friday.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I don't think you will loose any data. It is a logic board problem (somewhere on the motherboard) and not a drive problem. All your data should still be there. (No promises though)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I don't think you will loose any data. It is a logic board problem (somewhere on the motherboard) and not a drive problem. All your data should still be there. (No promises though)

yeah, i paid the extra $50 for them to do a data backup and transfer in case they need to wipe or replace the drive. he said once i get the shipping materials, it shouldn't be more than a week in the shop. my wife will be extremely happy to hear that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    well, quick update, folks, and PRAISE for the apple repair folks. according to airborne express, apple houston received my pismo powerbook yesterday by 10 a.m.

IT WAS BACK IN MY HANDS today at 10:30 a.m., with a new logic board, and a new hard drive that doesn't whine 24/7. unfortunately, they could not retrieve any data from the old drive, but that was to be expected.

and all free under the 3-year extended applecare warranty, which was due to run out (checks watch) in january 2004.

whew!

well, just thought i would pass along a good apple support and praise story, since people are usually only prone to point out when things go wrong. good job, apple!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Awesome. (Except the hard drive thing) That was a fast repair. I wonder if they just gave you a new Pismo vs repairing the old one.