VHS to dvd?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm about to install a 8500 ATI card in my dual 867 G4 and also am going to use the s-video to composite to hook my vcr to my mac.



I can digitize a home video and import it into imovie right?

Is it through quicktime or how is it going to show up on my mac?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    errr... the 8500 has video in?



    i thought it only had video out
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It has an S-video output and comes with a composite connector. It advertises that you can hook a vcr to it....



    I hope so.. cuz i've ordered it

    hehe
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

    Originally posted by macwork

    It has an S-video output and comes with a composite connector. It advertises that you can hook a vcr to it....



    I hope so.. cuz i've ordered it

    hehe




    The key word is: output. You'll be able to hook a VCR to your 8500 to record from your Mac, but not to it.



    One of the items on this page might be a better solution for you.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    So I won't be able to connect my vcr and transfer to dvd on the mac?



    I have a DVD burner in it already
  • Reply 5 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

    I can digitize a home video and import it into imovie right?



    Unfortunately the Radeon 8550 doesn't do this. The S-Video connector on it is for video signals output from the computer, and allows you to use a TV as another display or record output from your computer using a VCR. It doesn't allow you to digitise video.



    ATI does have products that can digitise video (the All-In-Wonder series, the earliest version of which was based around the Rage Pro). All-In-Wonder ATI cards have never had Mac drivers.



    Edit: beaten to it!



    The Dual 867 has Firewire ports. Does anyone know if a Firewire to video converter would give better results than a USB one? Would it be (more) usable with iMovie?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

    Originally posted by macwork

    So I won't be able to connect my vcr and transfer to dvd on the mac?



    I have a DVD burner in it already




    Correct. The 8500 doesn't have any video inputs.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    hmm.. maybe I'll return to sender on the 8500.



    So... ok is there a PCI card that I can pop in my mac or does it have to be external such as a firewire or USB converter?



    What is the best and cheapest way to digitze old VHS tapes so I can edit them in iMovie?



    I want to do a family project for Christmas
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Check out this product from Formac electronics. Looks like a good one, not extremely expensive, and I've read good things.



    Formac Studio TVR
  • Reply 9 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by macwork



    What is the best and cheapest way to digitze old VHS tapes so I can edit them in iMovie?




    If you already have a DV camcorder, that would be it.



    You can either record the VHS tape to MiniDV first or if your camera supports a passthrough mode, just patch the VCR directly through the camcorder to the Mac...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Yeah I'm debating between this card:

    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Canopus_A...ay_~full_specs



    or a camera
  • Reply 11 of 13
    You might want to check out this PCI card:



    http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8Y...Item=MEI179718



    $138
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    so i have firewire in my iMac dv400

    also sony mini dv recorder, does sony allow a "pass through" what would i be looking for in the owners manual to tell me it can. you would think that there would be a cheaper converter from vcr out to your computer, since this is going to be more popular.

    also you don't have to have a dvd burner to archive your vhs tape. use toast titanium and make V-CD and they burn way faster. it's getting the vhs to imovie that's the hard part.

    i'll look into the pass through with my sony mini dv camera

    thanks.



    how expensive is a dvd recorder /vcr that you put in your vhs tape and a dvd-r disk to make direct copies. they have an ad on tv doing this, i don't know the format, because most present players use dvd-r, also are there copy protection on the vhs tape?? i think someone makes a analog decoder to clean up any copy protection.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NOFEER



    how expensive is a dvd recorder /vcr that you put in your vhs tape and a dvd-r disk to make direct copies. they have an ad on tv doing this, i don't know the format, because most present players use dvd-r, also are there copy protection on the vhs tape?? i think someone makes a analog decoder to clean up any copy protection.




    My guess is it's gonna be extremely expensive. I've never seen one of these. It's gotta be new tech. I know there are DVD/VCRs out there, nothing new. But a DVD-R/VCR is. Wait till the price comes down if your going to do that.
Sign In or Register to comment.