What kinda mac should I buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am having a problem deciding witch mac to purchase for myself.

I want the best and most powerful system for the least amount of money. I really would like a new G5 but the price point is a little high for me now. I do not want to wait for the next gen of G5 to lower the price point current line so now I am now leaning toward the older G4 tower. This would be used for of course everyday computing but is really intended for design work (web, print, 3D).

I am a windows user who has finally seen the light and need to know if this will give me enough power to do what I need to do. I am currently on a pen 4 2.5 with a gig o ram and a geforce 128 g card. Will the dual 1.25 with a gig of ram do the trick? I have heard that this g4 is very noisy? Is this true?

Also can I get panther on it or do I have to pay to upgrade to it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    I am in the same boat as you and I am thinking of buying the same system.

A question you should be asking yourself is how long before you have the money to upgrade? As far as I know you will not be able to upgrade much on that system besides new Graphics Card, RAM and HDD. So you will probably have to dish out for a G5 when its time to do some serious upgrading.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    let me see some of your work. I'll be able to give you an honest answer at that point.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Ok I just realized that I could get a new G5 1.8 for about the same price as the dual 1.25 (student pricing for both) Which would you chose? Is the new G5 1.8 as fast or faster than the dual 1.25?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by linefear

Ok I just realized that I could get a new G5 1.8 for about the same price as the dual 1.25 (student pricing for both) Which would you chose? Is the new G5 1.8 as fast or faster than the dual 1.25?

oh oh G5 G5!!!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I am new to design work and am currently trying to finish this site to show some of my work. Portfolio section is the only area that is almost finished so you can get a idea. Most of the examples are older work so I hope to better myself soon.

http://www.lightpostdesign.com/
  • Reply 6 of 9
    woops I ment the G5 1.6 not 1.8
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

G5, if only for the coolness factor. Seriously, you'd have to factor in the cost of panther on the G4 because I don't think you can get it included with it. That adds another $69 (ed price of panther). Drop the superdrive if you don't need it from the G5 and it'll save you another $200. Just something to think about.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I think the Dual G4s would be faster. If you can upgrade the G5 at a later stage to include 2 x G5 2ghz processors, then that would be ideal. IMHO.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lain

I think the Dual G4s would be faster. If you can upgrade the G5 at a later stage to include 2 x G5 2ghz processors, then that would be ideal. IMHO.

That's not possible with the 1.6 G5. I believe the 1.6 uses a different mobo than the other 2.