New AL buyers! get panther for 20 bucks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

I called AppleStore UK about 15 mins ago and my PB15 serial was accepted fine:-

Ordered: 29/9/2003

Delivered: 20/10/2003

It seems as though qualification on the phone depends on the mood of the Apple employee you speak with at the time.

Call; you'll either get qualified or hung up on, for sure.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Well, not for me! I called the Apple Store in Canada and the 1st lady I spoke with said flat out "no" - new AL buyers don't qualify. I then asked for her supervisor and was put on hold for a few minutes (while she explained the situation to her boss), and the supervisor was a tad rude saying curtly "only new G5 desktop users get the promo since they had to wait 2 months or longer for their computers" - CLICK. I wish there was another way, $179 Cdn for 10.3 seems a bit steep - at least after shelling out $4000.00 for a stock 15" 1.25 Ghz powerbook..(I love it though!
  • Reply 43 of 56
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Can I go to my Applestore to get this deal, or must I order online/phone?
  • Reply 44 of 56
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Now, when you register, is that the online registering? I did it when I first got my computer. I did do it again at the apple site to register.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    chikan, they're wrong. Call again and tell them you know 15" AlBook customers are getting upgrades. I bought mine Sept 21st and updated online just fine. You might remind them 15" AlBook customers have had to wait 9 months for their computers...
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

chikan, they're wrong. Call again and tell them you know 15" AlBook customers are getting upgrades. I bought mine Sept 21st and updated online just fine. You might remind them 15" AlBook customers have had to wait 9 months for their computers...

This is the biggest fiasco. Some are qualifying, some are not, some have to call in, some have to qualify online. It plainly says on the up-to-date web page that only early G5 purchasers or anyone who purchases a computer on or after October 8 will qualify for the $20 upgrade, but others have qualified anyway. It's a crap shoot.

I don't think being rude to someone on the phone will help. Calling back the next day to ask a different person might. It's beginning to sound as if the rule is now being strictly adhered to, after a couple of weeks of wishy washy-some can-some can't policy.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    is there an expiration date for when this works? i just got my 12in Albook about a week and a half ago (ordered it about 2 days before panther was released), and i tried this link and no luck--doesnt recognize the serial number.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

is there an expiration date for when this works? i just got my 12in Albook about a week and a half ago (ordered it about 2 days before panther was released), and i tried this link and no luck--doesnt recognize the serial number.

I don't know. The whole thing was a "some can, some can't" qualification process anyway. If your invoice date is on or after October 8, you should be able to call Apple and get the update disks, no problem.

Some folks had to register the computer online and then wait a few days before it would qualify for the update online.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Just a heads up, my dad purchased a new 1.25GHz PowerBook from the Apple store. It came with Jaguar preinstalled, and there was a Panther upgrade disk inside the box. So if you buy a AlBook now, you will get Panther for free.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    I think I am out of luck. I still cant qualify. I been trying alot. Oh well, I may have to upgrade my RAM anyways. 256 is not enough for my 12inch beast. It needs a bigger sack to let its power flow.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    i ordered my 1.25 BTO Alu on Sept 23 and after panther came out i called apple about a $20 upgrade. I received a flat out NO on two occasions so i gave up and resolved to buy panther in a couple months.

Today, i go to the up to date site just for the hell of it and my serial number was accepted! I don't know whats going on with apple but I placed my order.

People who aren't getting accepted should push for some sort of equality, its only fair after all.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Sorry for the stupid question but what does the update discs include? I purchased the retail boxed of OS Panther through my college (CSUN) @ $69.99 am very happy with it included the 3 discs + the tools disc. Nice! From the $129.99 retail the student discount is a blessing. I'm sure the $19.99 is even better but I have an older powermac g4. Oh well.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by TsHoK

Sorry for the stupid question but what does the update discs include? I purchased the retail boxed of OS Panther through my college (CSUN) @ $69.99 am very happy with it included the 3 discs + the tools disc.

Same thing; no box. Updater disks only, not full install.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    gnypgnyp Posts: 37member
    mine didn't work?! not a BTO, not buy it in apple store.

gNYp
  • Reply 55 of 56
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    Just FYI information I bought a 1.25GHz 15" Powerbook on 17th September and qualified first time for the upgrade on the website.

Fully expected them to cancel the order as they MUST know what's been going on but I received my copy of Panther here in the UK on Tuesday. It cost me £13.99 after shipping.

Sorry for those of you who can't qualify. Either they should give us all the discount or they should just say no. they must know that people are getting it, unless they've fixed the 'bug' on the site now and are just accepting that those that were lucky enough to qualify should just have it??

If I were less honest than I am I would contact Apple and tell them mine hasn't turn up so they courier me another copy that I can sell on eBay. Would serve them right for using such a cheap postal option that they can't track it.

Hmmmmmmmmm