pc133 in an imac DV se??? [need quick answer]

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey,

imac DV SE shipped with pc100 ram right??

there is a 128MB of ram in it now.

2 questions:

pc133 ram is backward compatible with all pc100 ram computers, right?

[i'm pretty sure it is but wanted quick confimation]

question 2:

can pc100 ram and pc133 ram CO-EXIST on the same machine?

meaning; can i have 128mb of pc100 AND 256mb of pc133 in an imac DV SE at the same time ???

tia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesigns

hey,

imac DV SE shipped with pc100 ram right??

there is a 128MB of ram in it now.

2 questions:

pc133 ram is backward compatible with all pc100 ram computers, right?

[i'm pretty sure it is but wanted quick confimation]

question 2:

can pc100 ram and pc133 ram CO-EXIST on the same machine?

meaning; can i have 128mb of pc100 AND 256mb of pc133 in an imac DV SE at the same time ???

tia

sure...go ahead
  • Reply 2 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    confirmed

It's the case in my G3 300 B&W
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Note that your PC133 ram will run at PC100 when in the iMac DV. All ram in your system will run as fast as the slowest ram you are using.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Note that your PC133 ram will run at PC100 when in the iMac DV. All ram in your system will run as fast as the slowest ram you are using.

No, the Ram will run as fast as the mobo have decided it will. If a memory cannot support this speed the computer will crash. This is one of the basic principle of overclocking, something that is belonging more to the PC world than the I mac one.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thanks.

everything worked out fine.

there is a 128 MB pc100 sdram chip in slot A

and a 256 MB pc133 sdram chip in slot B

and it's working fine.

cheers.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

No, the Ram will run as fast as the mobo have decided it will. If a memory cannot support this speed the computer will crash. This is one of the basic principle of overclocking, something that is belonging more to the PC world than the I mac one.

Ummm... I think you did not fully understand what I posted.

True, the memory will run as "fast" as the Mobo tells it... but I was referring to bluesigns iMac. His iMac will only run its ram at 100mhz, this is what the chipset allows. So the PC133 ram will run at PC100.

Yes, it is true that your mobo can force ram to run at speeds (and timings) above that witch it was rated for. I, however, was referring to his iMac. The iMac (and most Macs/PCs) will auto detect the speed and timings of each dimm. When it sees that dimm one is PC100 CL2 and dimm two is PC133 CL2.5 it will run ALL ram at PC100 CL2.5. This holds true to most PCs unless the firmware/BIOS settings are changed to a more manual setting.

I thought my last post was clear. I guess I was wrong in thinking that most people who don't have a great understanding of computer hardware would read my last post and understand what I atempted to tell them... I will just try harder next time.

PS) We said the same thing... you just thought I was wrong because I told him the result but not why.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Ummm... I think you did not fully understand what I posted.

True, the memory will run as "fast" as the Mobo tells it... but I was referring to bluesigns iMac. His iMac will only run its ram at 100mhz, this is what the chipset allows. So the PC133 ram will run at PC100.

Yes, it is true that your mobo can force ram to run at speeds (and timings) above that witch it was rated for. I, however, was referring to his iMac. The iMac (and most Macs/PCs) will auto detect the speed and timings of each dimm. When it sees that dimm one is PC100 CL2 and dimm two is PC133 CL2.5 it will run ALL ram at PC100 CL2.5. This holds true to most PCs unless the firmware/BIOS settings are changed to a more manual setting.

I thought my last post was clear. I guess I was wrong in thinking that most people who don't have a great understanding of computer hardware would read my last post and understand what I atempted to tell them... I will just try harder next time.

PS) We said the same thing... you just thought I was wrong because I told him the result but not why.

This version is much better and more clear for people like me who obviously don't know much about hardware