Character Palette Driving Me Crazy

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Every time I startup my computer or press the power button (and sometimes when I force quit an app), the character palette appears. This is getting very annoying, as it floats above everything else and I have to close it each time.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    blixablixa Posts: 13member
    I was having this problem too, but it seems to have gone away. I don't know what, if anything, I did to fix it, though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Turn off the input menu, turn off everything extra in the Internation prefpane and then delete the character palette preferences (property list) in your ~/Library/Preferences, then restart your machine or logout?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Same issue here. I turned off the input menu and haven't seen the character palette pop up since, but who knows?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    It happens to me everytime I enter my password to get back to the desktop after my screensaver. You're right it's incredibly annoying, especially since you can't CMD-W to close it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Just started happening to me too ! It reminds me of the Speech Recognition pop-up problem in 10.1. Hopefully it will fix itself in the same way - just suddenly stop doing it one day.....