Shawn's letter writing campaign worked! -McD's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dear Representative....

I think this is actually a pretty reasonable solution to the matter. Trusting people to make decisions is better than lawsuits or fat taxes IMNSHO.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Dear Representative....

I think this is actually a pretty reasonable solution to the matter. Trusting people to make decisions is better than lawsuits or fat taxes IMNSHO.

Nick

Good news. I have to thank Groverat too for his support on this matter.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Isn't there an equal protection issue here? Why should, "Sammies" (fried pork chop sandwich anyone?) for example be exempt while starbucks has to comply?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Unfortunately labels appear to do absolutely nothing. Since we've had them, Americans have gotten fatter at a much faster rate than ever before, and diabetes, even in children, is at epidemic proportions.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Unfortunately labels appear to do absolutely nothing. Since we've had them, Americans have gotten fatter at a much faster rate than ever before, and diabetes, even in children, is at epidemic proportions.

You don't say!

Next thing you know the government will have us all weigh in BMI taken and issue sanctions against each of us who exceed the governments requirements

LOL

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 17
    That's a good idea. Tax people based on how far over their ideal body weight they are.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Isn't there an equal protection issue here? Why should, "Sammies" (fried pork chop sandwich anyone?) for example be exempt while starbucks has to comply?

The Feds. National corporations. A State could pass a similar law and then any company operating within state boundries would have to comply. As it stands, if the Feds pass a law then it's only those companies that work cross borders that would need to comply. Sammies would be exempt unless they're a franchise that exists in more than one state.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

I think schools need to start teaching nutrition at an early age, that's all. The labels are a good idea if there's the education to use them. Otherwise they might as well be written in chinese. So don't get rid of labels, but teach people how to use them. Once we do that the labels actually become fairly powerful. Hopefully.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

That's because labels are misleading. Want to make your shitty snack only have 100 calories? Increase the servings per container. What a crock. The calories for the whole bag of chips should be listed along side the servings. The American public is too f'in dumb to multiply.

Furthermore, people think that if something is low fat or fat free they can eat all they want. That's utter bullshit. Fat free foods still have calories. If you consume more calories than you burn you gain weight. Hell, if all you do is consume pure lard but consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight on the 100% fat diet.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I was taught nutrition at a young age. While I'm slightly overweight, I always have been, comes from playing very physical sports as a kid. However the food pyramid I was taught was sanctioned by the meat and dairy industry to intentionally be MISLEADING. Go figure...

Plain truth of this is that if you are too stupid to realize that McD's is fatty food cooked in beef fat, and KFC is still fried chicken then you deserve the eventual hardening of your arteries and heart attack. You know that cookies are bad, so stop eating a whole damn box at a time. How about an occasional veggie or <gasp> salad?

Common sense is a powerful thing.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The Feds. National corporations. A State could pass a similar law and then any company operating within state boundries would have to comply. As it stands, if the Feds pass a law then it's only those companies that work cross borders that would need to comply. Sammies would be exempt unless they're a franchise that exists in more than one state.

No you missed my point. If you have 20 stores then you have to comply if you have less you don't. A company with 20 stores is not being treated the same as 19. It's arbitrary. It seems the law proposed is targeted at larger restaurants which imo is unfair. The small short order everything fried restaurant is just as guilty and therefor should comply with the same rules as McD'
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

A company with 20 stores is not being treated the same as 19.

How is this an equal protection case? A family with 20 kids gets treated differently by the IRS than a family with 19.

Obviously they're going after fast food restaurants with a homoginized menu and that's good. If it's illegal then they'll have to figure out a different way to do it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

awwwwwwww, the poor little corporate chains restaurants are treated unfairly compared to privately owned, small restaurants. booooooohooooooooooooo
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

You don't say!

Next thing you know the government will have us all weigh in BMI taken and issue sanctions against each of us who exceed the governments requirements

LOL

Fellows

Your post is absolutely unintelligible to me, both grammatically and semantically.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I think schools need to start teaching nutrition at an early age, that's all. The labels are a good idea if there's the education to use them. Otherwise they might as well be written in chinese. So don't get rid of labels, but teach people how to use them. Once we do that the labels actually become fairly powerful. Hopefully.

I'm not sure what else can be done. We've had huge educational campaigns on labels and pyramids, and like others have said, it's really just common sense.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That's because labels are misleading. Want to make your shitty snack only have 100 calories? Increase the servings per container. What a crock. The calories for the whole bag of chips should be listed along side the servings. The American public is too f'in dumb to multiply.

Serving sizes are controlled - they can't just increase the servings per package arbitrarily. That used to be a problem, but the new serving sizes are actually fairly reasonable.

Quote:

Furthermore, people think that if something is low fat or fat free they can eat all they want. That's utter bullshit. Fat free foods still have calories. If you consume more calories than you burn you gain weight. Hell, if all you do is consume pure lard but consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight on the 100% fat diet.

What you say is absolutely correct. The diet book industry fights against the common sense "calories make you fat" with all their "eat anything you want and still lose weight" crap.

But the (depressing) point I was trying to make is that information alone doesn't seem to change behavior when the incentives are so strong otherwise - if you dump very high-calorie, good-tasting, cheap, and easily and quickly available food on the market, people are going to get fat, no matter what kind of information they have. We like to believe that we can structure our society's incentives any way we want, with as trashy a culture as possible, tons o' guns, cheap cigs, etc. etc., and as long as people are well-informed, it'll all turn out alright. Sadly, that just appears to be empirically false. I wish it weren't false, but I think it's clear that it is.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

But the (depressing) point I was trying to make is that information alone doesn't seem to change behavior when the incentives are so strong otherwise - if you dump very high-calorie, good-tasting, cheap, and easily and quickly available food on the market, people are going to get fat, no matter what kind of information they have.

Well for starters maybe this is only going to be good for those people that care. Perhaps natural selection will help with the rest. Housing laws only effect those that care to buy a home, so I guess this will be the same.

Twinkie eaters will still eat twinkies. People that go to Chipotle thinking they're getting a healthy meal will now think twice. That's a good thing.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't know how much this will help, but I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Cigarette makers should be required to list all of their ingredients as well.