Sony Provides Sneak Peak Of "iPod Killer"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    looks like a winner.

but I couldn't imagine it being ~$60 that's just absurd.

oh well...we'll see.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    I don't understand when most of u guys keep saying that ipod has to be cheaper..

IT DOESN"T. As it is right now, it sells great, why do they have to make it cheaper?

Are you satisfied with your purchase, i know i am.

I don't want apple cutting corners, i like these little details, that distinguish iPods from the competitors.

how much stuff will you be able to fit on that removable CD?

What's the point of watching videos on 2" screen?

instead of doing all that, sony should focus on improving their quality, and re-gaining that lost image. i remember getting my first walkman, man, was that amazing device, same thing with an iPod, you just look at it and marvel..

If they want to compete, that's the way to go instead of creating another 'James Bond' type of gizmo.

because of stuff like that sony is not what it was some years back. They are trying to be hip and cool a bit too much.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

How so?

Well, the fact that I can have my calendar, address book (to do lists?) with me is a START. Certainly not a "classical PDA"...but that's cool. Probably most of what most people need/want anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

I don't understand when most of u guys keep saying that ipod has to be cheaper..

IT DOESN"T. As it is right now, it sells great, why do they have to make it cheaper?

Well SJ himself said in Newsweek that Apple would like to be able to sell a $100 iPod. It will certainly come to pass. Right now just one model of almost any one Sony CD Walkman sells more than the iPods have in total.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Ah-ha. Seems they were spreading some FUD. Here is the Register's take. Notice the picture of an MP3 Walkman. That or something like it is the $60 widget.

Another Reg article lists the specs and the video device seems to be a "does-everything" widget. Price? I'd wager more than the top-of-the-the-line iPod.

Amongst our weaponry will be a $60 MP3 player!!! (We'll convieniently leave out the part that it does not compete with the iPod at all).

Screed
  • Reply 26 of 33
    What i meant was that i hope apple will keep up the quality of the ipod, instead of going 'reduce the price at all cost' route.

And that Sony's device won't be a $60. How much is a decent LCD (TFT i guess as we're talking video), plus drive to read cds, plus this and that...

$60? no way.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

$60, ay? If its capacity isn't 10/20/40 GB it is not an iPod killer. Ooh, look, removable media! How quaint. The Zen of the iPod: your entire music collection in your pocket, period.

Screed

Exactly. Right on. If it doesn't carry my entire music collection in my pocket, I don't want it. Removable media sucks. Long live the iPod!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I don't even see anything related to the iPod. I think Sony just threw that comparison in to hitch a ride on the iPod's buzz.

A $60 MP3 player isn't going to compete with the iPod (as Steve has already noted, the iPod is #1 in a field with much cheaper competitors) and that thing above, while it might be a nifty gadget for those inclined toward such things, doesn't strike me as in the same category as an iPod either.

When will people figure out that the iPod is as good as it is because it doesn't try to do everything?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

When will people figure out that the iPod is as good as it is because it doesn't try to do everything?

hammer+nail+head=correct

Still, wonder what playing SSX3 on that PSP would be like...

There has been a lot of buzz in gaming about this, we'll see I guess.

• Reply 30 of 33
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Looks more like Sony's take on the much-requested (only in Future Hardware) VideoPod.

For the record, I stand by the assessment that nobody wants to buy a $300 gadget to watch music videos on a 2" screen.

However, if in the next year Sony or someone else can miniturize an iSight camera, and debut an iChat AV-Wireless system built into the phone, all bets are off.

For some insane reason, we've all wanted "Dick Tracy style" video communication on-the-move for decades now.

Since the iSight and iChat AV debuted, the race has heated up and I think it could well be the next killer app.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I agree. There will be a return of the 5 Gig (or something on that order) for $199. Or, Apple may reduce the prices across the board by $100. They did it before so why not again.

You know what apple will do don't you?

They will give iPod coupons for $100 worth of iTunes DL's

That is an idea

Fellows
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I don't even see anything related to the iPod. I think Sony just threw that comparison in to hitch a ride on the iPod's buzz.

A $60 MP3 player isn't going to compete with the iPod (as Steve has already noted, the iPod is #1 in a field with much cheaper competitors) and that thing above, while it might be a nifty gadget for those inclined toward such things, doesn't strike me as in the same category as an iPod either.

Could not agree more. Apple has the iPod nailed. It is quality, experience, battery life, fast data transfer, it is seamless with iTunes. iPod is what made me get a mac in the first place.

Apple is right on track with the iPod.

Fellowship
  • Reply 33 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Can we change MacsRGood4U's title back to "Mr. PR Spam Master" or whatever it was the last time I saw it?

I propose we give him one thread to put all his press release posts. And no quotes allowed. He must link to them instead of pasting the bodies of the releases in the message.