Network browsing in Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It seems the Network browsing feature works intermittenly. Sometimes I'll click on the "Network" icon in the Finder, and after a minute or two the various workgroups/shares will begin to appear. Other times, like now, I click on it and I get nothing. I've been waiting 10 mintues and still I get nothing.

Anyone have a clue what may be wrong or how to force Panther to refresh itself? Obviously it thinks there is nothing out there. Hard to work in a Windows world when it acts like this

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    It works fine with my machines. Is your network domain or workgroup based?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I've seen this problem myself and read about it many many times too. Panther definitely has problems with regards to networking on Windows networks. All we can do is complain to Apple and hope there will be a 10.3.1 fix for it.

The only way to (usually) refresh it that I've found is to close all Finder windows, go to System Prefs: Network: Configure, configure to "Off", Apply Now, reconfigure back to normal, and Apply Now again. This sometimes seems to clear whatever cache the Finder is making.

*sigh*
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I've seen this problem myself and read about it many many times too. Panther definitely has problems with regards to networking on Windows networks. All we can do is complain to Apple and hope there will be a 10.3.1 fix for it.

The only way to (usually) refresh it that I've found is to close all Finder windows, go to System Prefs: Network: Configure, configure to "Off", Apply Now, reconfigure back to normal, and Apply Now again. This sometimes seems to clear whatever cache the Finder is making.

*sigh*

Indeed same situation here.

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have seen this same problem.

The best fix I have found is to got to the Utilities folder and bring up NetInfo Manager.

Once open go to the Domain window and select "Open by Tag..."

This brings up the "Open By Tag" window.

You can put the IP of a known system on your network in the "Host (name or IP address) to open" field, then hit Open.

It might take it some time to come back and tell you that it couldn't find anything, but it seems to re-scan the network and help panther find what's out there.

At this point I have been able to go back to the standard Network icon in any finder window and get my updated network connections.

Best work around I have found for solving this problem thus far. \
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Did you try trashing your Network preference file?

Find it at System/Library/PreferencePanes. It worked for me.