Donnie Baseball is Back Home

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry, not too big of a deal to everyone here but it is to me and I just saw the news of this.

Don Mattingly will be the new Yankees hitting coach next season

So happy to see him back, was and always will be my favorite player and hopefully he'll get that World Series ring he never got as a player.

Welcome back Don!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Mattingly should be in the Hall of Fame

I wonder if he'll wear 23 again
  • Reply 2 of 21
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Why wouldn't he wear #23? It was retired, so it's his forever.

Mattingly was good, but the Yankees retiring #23 was a bit much.

I'd take Hrbek in his prime over Mattingly.

I agree it'll be good to see him back in pinstripes ... at least until the Boss fires him after next season.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It's great to see him back with the Yankees, but I've never seen another team have a whole news conference and everything for the hiring of a hitting coach, no matter how good the person was as a player.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

It's great to see him back with the Yankees, but I've never seen another team have a whole news conference and everything for the hiring of a hitting coach, no matter how good the person was as a player.

It's Don Mattingly

• Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

It's Don Mattingly

ok... what's your point? i'm not saying anything against him but there's no need for a press conference about it.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

Why wouldn't he wear #23? It was retired, so it's his forever.

Mattingly was good, but the Yankees retiring #23 was a bit much.

I'd take Hrbek in his prime over Mattingly.

I agree it'll be good to see him back in pinstripes ... at least until the Boss fires him after next season.

i don't know, why didn't Jordon wear 23?

just curious

retiring his number was not a "bit much". Mattingly is a "true" Yankee. he is up there with the legends in almost every offensive category and defensively he's the best. He is one of only 9 captains in the history of the team and throughout his era was the shining light of the franchise.

Mattingly's number had every right to be retired and he has every right to be a hall of famer. If a man like him who played the game with all his heart day in and day out, had several extremely successful years and was a true role model, is not Hall of Fame material then i don't want to see any of today's shitheads get in the Hall of Fame.

Quote:

k... what's your point? i'm not saying anything against him but there's no need for a press conference about it.

um, don't read newspapers? sure looks like there was. press need comments to write articles. it was the biggest sports story in NY......should the Yankees NOT have a press conference? makes no sense.

sounds like someone is jealous that the Mets cant even sign a player worthy enough of a press conference, nevermind a hitting coach:P
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

sounds like someone is jealous that the Mets cant even sign a player worthy enough of a press conference, nevermind a hitting coach:P

haha... I'm just glad we got Rick Peterson, our first real pitching coach since Dave Wallace.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Hey Nut, how come the only thing we can agree on is the Yanks? Mattingly was my favorite player too.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Mattingly sucked. That's why he never won a world series.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Mattingly sucked. That's why he never won a world series.

please don't make a fool of yourself in front of everyone

they're all laughing at you.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I liked him when he played for the Expos.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

please don't make a fool of yourself in front of everyone

they're all laughing at you.

Damn, applenut, you are EASY to goad.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    baseball=one of the most boring games in the world--a good time to sleep--of course this is my opinion=======king
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by king

baseball=one of the most boring games in the world--a good time to sleep--of course this is my opinion=======king

not athletic huh?

sorry.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Baseball is fun. I prefer soccer, ice hockey, rugby, etc, but I like baseball. Unlike hockey or even soccer, baseball is AWESOME to watch at a bar. It's also fun to hit baseballs. . . never liked fielding that much though.

Don Mattingly is the reason why I thought the yankees were cool when I was growing up, and is most likely the reason why I'm the only non-New Yorker in America who is a big Yankees fan.

He had the stash too. That counts for a lot in my book. Not everyone can grow a stash like that.

• Reply 16 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    So; how long before Steinbrenner flips out about his sideburns or something and fires him, rehires him and fires him again?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

So; how long before Steinbrenner flips out about his sideburns or something and fires him, rehires him and fires him again?

all star break
  • Reply 18 of 21
    if u say so applenut- prefer snowboarding and skiing and anything but team sports--u do not have to be in shape to play baseball and from my observation most b-ball players are fat--not all but lots.. how much energy does it take to stand around most of the time for 9 innings and wait for a play.., i cannot see it but u do. it sucks is all i can say and this is just my opinion--nuthing against it but -?? just boring to me--that is all and if u like it fine--this is just my 2 cents- not trying to start and argument-king
  • Reply 19 of 21
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

i don't know, why didn't Jordon wear 23?

just curious

You must be referring to the #45 Jordan wore when he came back from retirement at the end of the 1994-'95 season ... that was Jordan's choice. At the time he said that was in honor of his late father, who had seen the last game where Jordan had worn #23, and Jordan said he wanted to keep it that way. But then he switched back to #23 the next season.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by king

if u say so applenut- prefer snowboarding and skiing and anything but team sports--u do not have to be in shape to play baseball and from my observation most b-ball players are fat--not all but lots.. how much energy does it take to stand around most of the time for 9 innings and wait for a play.., i cannot see it but u do. it sucks is all i can say and this is just my opinion--nuthing against it but -?? just boring to me--that is all and if u like it fine--this is just my 2 cents- not trying to start and argument-king

you definitely speak like someone with no clue and who has never played baseball competively.

you were trying to start an argument, your initial comment had nothing to do with the topic other than to be a dumbass anti-baseball post in a baseball fan thread.