Potential Iraq, US peace talks missed?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apparently a well known Lebanese businessman acted as a middle man in order to get the US and Iraq to possibly work out a deal and prevent war. Richard Perle was later ordered not to meet with the Iraqis. The specifics of the planned deal were apparently not that great for the US, but you have to wonder if the US would have been able to negotiate something better.

Obviously we must be skeptical of these types of reports, but with Perle himself speaking about it, this has the potential to be quite big. (Not to mention the power that this may have regarding the upcoming presidential election.)

Quote:

"Although I was not enthusiastic about the offer, I was willing to meet with the Iraqis," [Richard] Perle told ABCNEWS. "The United States government told me not to." Perle would not disclose which official or arm of the government rejected the talks.

Read the entire article here: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/W...e031105-1.html

Regards,

Sean

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SeanM

Apparently a well known Lebanese businessman acted as a middle man in order to get the US and Iraq to possibly work out a deal and prevent war. Richard Perle was later ordered not to meet with the Iraqis. The specifics of the planned deal were apparently not that great for the US, but you have to wonder if the US would have been able to negotiate something better.

Obviously we must be skeptical of these types of reports, but with Perle himself speaking about it, this has the potential to be quite big. (Not to mention the power that this may have regarding the upcoming presidential election.)

Read the entire article here: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/W...e031105-1.html

Regards,

Sean

• Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

P.S. have you heard who was responsible for the California fires?

• Reply 3 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc...02.html#002171

Quote:

Let's say I'm a career defense bureaucrat struggling to get my security clearances restored because it's very hard for me to be a defense bureaucrat without them. And let's say one of the reasons I can't get them restored is because of some unauthorized contacts I had with a Lebanese-American businessman under investigation for running guns to Liberia. And let's further add to the mix that my whole mess with the security clearances is part of a larger struggle between different factions in the national intelligence bureaucracy. Oh, and one last thing: let's say I'm a protégé of Richard Perle.

Okay.

Now, if I'm on the line for these unauthorized contacts with the gun-running businessman, wouldn't it be a lot harder to punish me for it if it looked like that contact almost allowed me to secure a deal that would have averted the need for war?

And if that's the case, wouldn't it be cool if my buddies and mentors went to the press with the story of how I almost saved the day?

(And as long as we're on the subject, look at all the contradictions between the Times' piece and Strobel's piece.)

Who knows though, right?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    See other thread. The invasion and occupation was planned 10 years ago, Saddam or no Saddam, WMD or no WMD. Perle himself was a part of that planning.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

See other thread. The invasion and occupation was planned 10 years ago, Saddam or no Saddam, WMD or no WMD. Perle himself was a part of that planning.

Everything was planned 10 years ago.