ITMS as software/?? shop?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
on the analyst meeting, steve said "? Got some great stuff coming out over the next... uh... timeframes.?"

+ ITMS is a safe and easy way to download? "things"

+ the DRM is included

+ music int the ITMS is just data. software is data. pictures, video?_ok, you know what i mean

what about using the ITMS as an online shop?

no, no contest with amazon, ebooks or any.- very apple-centric.-

what do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'd love to see demographics for price ranges in $10 increments. How many people make $10, $20, $30, $50, $100 from the iTunes Music Store. Yes, there is currently one audiobook available for $101.95. The Iliad. I wonder how many people bought that.

You have to wonder about how many people are willing to buy $50, $100, $200+ software on a music store like this. And of course the iTunes Music Store would be inappropriate for this. Apple would need a software library/organizer app, a decent software package manager. It could do so many things. It would be able replace Versiontracker for apps you buy through them, informing you of updates and upgrades. It would be able warn you of possible conflicts with other apps you've bought. It would be able to back-up all your license keys. Blah blah blah.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I'd love to see demographics for price ranges in $10 increments. How many people make $10, $20, $30, $50, $100 from the iTunes Music Store. Yes, there is currently one audiobook available for $101.95. The Iliad. I wonder how many people bought that.

You have to wonder about how many people are willing to buy $50, $100, $200+ software on a music store like this. And of course the iTunes Music Store would be inappropriate for this. Apple would need a software library/organizer app, a decent software package manager. It could do so many things. It would be able replace Versiontracker for apps you buy through them, informing you of updates and upgrades. It would be able warn you of possible conflicts with other apps you've bought. It would be able to back-up all your license keys. Blah blah blah.

maybe, some of your thoughts got lost through translation? but:

+ what you ge is a simple .dmg - no extra software needed

+ .mac offers downloadable software for 79$; handling is more complicated but on the same creditcard & members only basis as itms

+ what was the price for iLife? ok, no one would download iDVD?

+ another e.g. : dvdv2x costs 29$ - itms would kill paypal ;-)

+ MICROPAYMENT! remember the goo' ol' days, when updates were free? no you can earn some bucks buy asking "? got a dime, mister?" ;-((
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

maybe, some of your thoughts got lost through translation? but:

+ what you ge is a simple .dmg - no extra software needed

+ .mac offers downloadable software for 79$; handling is more complicated but on the same creditcard & members only basis as itms

+ what was the price for iLife? ok, no one would download iDVD?

+ another e.g. : dvdv2x costs 29$ - itms would kill paypal ;-)

+ MICROPAYMENT! remember the goo' ol' days, when updates were free? no you can earn some bucks buy asking "? got a dime, mister?" ;-((

1) The iTMS within iTunes is an wholly inappropriate application to handle software downloads.

2) I'm not sure what you are referring to with .Mac.

3) iLife is $49, but a store can't survive on a few titles only. What happens when someone wants to buy Final Cut Pro for $999? Is he willing to buy that in digital download form? Is he going to sit there and wait for however many GB of tutorials, samples, sound effects, LiveType fonts to download? Does the same apply to other expensive apps? Is this so different from downloading shareware anyway?

I don't get the last statement about updates either.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

1) The iTMS within iTunes is an wholly inappropriate application to handle software downloads.

3) iLife is $49, but a store can't survive on a few titles only. What happens when someone wants to buy Final Cut Pro for $999? Is he willing to buy that in digital download form? Is he going to sit there and wait for however many GB of tutorials, samples, sound effects, LiveType fonts to download? Does the same apply to other expensive apps? Is this so different from downloading shareware anyway?

1) i'm not a programmer, more a kind of marketing monkey. if it can't handle software downloads, you have to teach it. the itms is - at the mment - part of iTunes. but it demonstrate, how easy you can organize payed downloads...-

2) .mac offers you macromedia's contribute. if you want it, they offer you for a special download price (79). this price is for .mac members only. which means: you are identified (as a mac-user); you download software, you have to pay for it - all substancials of the itms.

3) as said before: no contest with the big boys! just offer your mac-only software through an online shop as easy to use as itms!

4) micropayment: for 10.3 i paid in a shop 130?; for the updates i'm used not to pay anything; for a big company as apple it is (was?) not easy to handle, let's say, 2 millionen credt cards transactions for something like 5$. itms shows us, it makes sense, to bill just 99¢ via credit card (over here in europe, using a credit card is still "exotic", payment in the iNet is "unsafe", you use a credit card just for "big deals"?- )

------

please, this is just a thought, a concept, based on a quote! i don't plan these things, i don't program these things. i just want some comments on the CONCEPT of using "something" like the itms for paid downloads...

• Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

3) as said before: no contest with the big boys! just offer your mac-only software through an online shop as easy to use as itms!

If it's only going to offer a few dozen Apple titles, then it's not worth setting up.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

I wrote a similar thread to this on maccentral just after launch, and I believe that MS's rattled response said more about their fear that iTunes for Windows effectively put another browser on their desktop than anything else.

Assuming iTunes for Windows uses Webcore or whatever it's called, it would take very little to amend iTunes so that it's two applicatons; one wrapped up in another.

iTunes, or whatever overarching name you ultimately give it, simply addresses Apple's Akamai-hosted store for selling e-books, iTunes, stock photography, stock footage, library music, software, etc.

MS doesn't like this as a development; AAC could land up as the standard of choice for audio, but more crucially QuickTime (and MPEG-4) could - if DRM enabled using Fairplay - supplant Windows Media across the board, which runs counter to MS's ambitions in that area.

This whole thing is made worse by the fact that Steve-o is a fully-fledged media mogul who is recognised by the industry as "one of them" (i.e. creative), as opposed to Dancing Monkey Boy and Kill Bill who are just geeky guys from a cold part of the country without an original thought between them.

Just to close off this thought - if Apple are so unimportant (not anyone's words on this thread I know), why have all of MS's friends (or whatever you call people who like you because you pay them) - particularly CNET - been focussing so much attention on denigrating iPod, iTunes and iTMS? Could it be that the balloon has gone up at the Redmond death star?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Isn't there already an online Apple store for software stuff? Why is there a need for consolidation? To paraphrase Steve Jobs' take on TV devices, "they are best left to do what they are best at individually".