4200RPM drive+FW800 enclosure?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm preparing for my Lapzilla's arrival by ordering the necessary upgrades, and I have a dilemma.

I'm replacing the stock 60GB 4200RPM hard drive with a 60GB 7200RPM, and now that I'll have an extra drive around I might as well throw it into an external enclosure. Right?

So, will a 4200 drive benefit any from being in a FW800 case? Or would that be overkill for a drive of that speed?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I reckon it will be a tad overkill. I have 2 120gb 7200rpm drives in a miglia firewire 400 case and they absolutely roar with speed. thoough it might be worthwhile if you decide to upgrade your drive at a later date.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It would absolutely be overkill. Just stick with a FW400 enclosure. FW800 enclosures are overkill even for single 7200 RPM drives (even fast ones). The main advantage is if you have multiple fast hard drives on the single FW800 bus - then you'll see an advantage. Otherwise there's no point. I didn't even know they made compact portable FW800 enclosures - it doesn't seem to make sense.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    FW400 it is then. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

FW400 it is then. Thanks.

If you're upgrading an Al PB, be careful; it's more involved than the TiBooks.

• Reply 5 of 6
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

If you're upgrading an Al PB, be careful; it's more involved than the TiBooks.

\ Well, poo. I upgraded my Pismo and it went fairly smooth...so I figured this would be as well. Maybe I'll just have someone 'authorized' do it then. Thanks for the forewarning.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

\ Well, poo. I upgraded my Pismo and it went fairly smooth...so I figured this would be as well. Maybe I'll just have someone 'authorized' do it then. Thanks for the forewarning.

It's not TOO bad; my problem was that there were so many darn screws to un-screw and the screws are really small and they tend to strip unless you have a really sharp and small phillips screwdriver. Plus there are no instructions on which screws to unscrew b/c Apple doesn't want you opening the Al PB up.

I used to take apart my DELL notebooks all the time; I have to say one good about DELL is that their notebooks are easy to open up and upgrade: HDs, RAM, internal mini pci cards, drives, graphic card, LCD, you name it, etc.