Jessica Lynch accuses the Pentagon/Don't listen to her. Her memory is faulty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Don't listen to her. Her memory is faulty. We rescued her from evil. She's just another liberal out to get a buck.

Quote:

One of the questions that could arise in the wake of this kind of trauma is that someone could believe they remember everything and their memory could still be incomplete..."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Somethings fishy... the thing is... I can't see her blaming the US for recording her escape only the media. You see the media affiliates send war correspondants and program directors who beg the military to be in on some plans so that they can journal them accordingly. The routine for some press stories although most certainly exaggerated is exhausting hard to debriefed for public consumption.

Some of the programming directors i've met have said they have used the Lynch story in the first place to get liberals in on the war, for ratings anyhow... It almost is certain to go to show that the media picked up the Lynch's ordeal so that the whole country could watch the war within question. If you recall at that time, the media was so blatantly leaning towards the left (everything but FoxNews btw) that they were all over her capture... and now Foxnews said her rescue caused a big upsurge in the ratings of her capture..

Though I can't help but think that she would say some of the things she said... is especially in earnest of the guys who rescued her who believe in their military. Its sad to see...

Though it quite clever that she said the things she said like not going down with a fight and just stopped and prayed... Gun hating liberals are going to love that line and then NRA gun collectors are going to buy the book anyway I mean she did get captured.

One last thing... why say she was used by the government to show a story, and then now she using her ordeal herself in the same manner. A story is a story.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    edit: Forget it. Satire is dead.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Somethings fishy... the thing is... I can't see her blaming the US for recording her escape only the media. You see the media affiliates send war correspondants and program directors who beg the military to be in on some plans so that they can journal them accordingly. The routine for some press stories although most certainly exaggerated is exhausting hard to debriefed for public consumption.

Some of the programming directors i've met have said they have used the Lynch story in the first place to get liberals in on the war, for ratings anyhow... It almost is certain to go to show that the media picked up the Lynch's ordeal so that the whole country could watch the war within question. If you recall at that time, the media was so blatantly leaning towards the left (everything but FoxNews btw) that they were all over her capture... and now Foxnews said her rescue caused a big upsurge in the ratings of her capture..

Though I can't help but think that she would say some of the things she said... is especially in earnest of the guys who rescued her who believe in their military. Its sad to see...

Though it quite clever that she said the things she said like not going down with a fight and just stopped and prayed... Gun hating liberals are going to love that line and then NRA gun collectors are going to buy the book anyway I mean she did get captured.

One last thing... why say she was used by the government to show a story, and then now she using her ordeal herself in the same manner. A story is a story.

It's so funny when you see these people that develop whole views based on falsehoods. Kraig, the military filmed it, edited it and released the dramatic tape. One would think you would have checked that out before forming such an extensive opinion and going off on a rant about 'liberals.'
  • Reply 4 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That's funny as hell.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    All I know is, the vast majority of military personnel in her position, would not openly criticize the government's portrayal of the events, unless something was *very* wrong with that portrayal.

If it was just a little exaggerated or a few non-critical details missed, most likely she would say nothing or say only positive things. The standard "grateful, humble, proud" routine we've all seen a thousand times.

The fact that she is feeling used / misrepresented -- when in fact the stories themselves are generally casting her in a heroic light -- tells me this is the media / Bush Administration twisting things in order to shed at least one positive light on the conflict. It doesn't make sense that they're casting her as a patriot / hero / brave in the face of adversity, and yet she is steadfast in her critique of the situation.

It can be summed up thusly: "Forget about all those car bombings and helicopter downings, remember Jessica! We're fighting for our freedom!" Hell, it's even on the Wal Mart commercials now. Some old guy talking about WWII, then the producer having the balls to compare WWII to the Gulf War (or even Viet Nam). Shameless.

Let's not forget: most people are (mental) sheep....
  • Reply 6 of 42
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moogs, the Wal Mart commercials are airing because Veteran's Day is Tuesday. That's why you see WWII veterans in the ads.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

If you recall at that time, the media was so blatantly leaning towards the left (everything but FoxNews btw) that they were all over her capture

This is a joke post, right?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

what's your point? she wants to set the record straight. good for her
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Surely not.

Discuss / gloat / lock thread.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Oh no, don't lock thread. This is more interesting than I remembered.

The BBC ran a documentary on the Pentagon's news management. The Pentagon didn't like it and the BBC blew its claim to impartiality; it was the "Baghdad Broadcasting Company."

Quote:

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said any claims that the facts of Private Lynch's rescue were misrepresented by the US military were "void of all facts and absolutely ridiculous."

Remember?

How many more chickens are there to actually fly home to this damn roost?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    There was a thread about this after the documentary aired on the Beeb, I saw it and thought they were right then and they've now been vindicated, good on them. The Pentagon on the other hand.......
  • Reply 12 of 42
    we have a thread about this already called "_ Don't listen to her. Her memory is faulty"
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Slightly different angle on the events in that thread. This was one was at the top when I logged in, and it was started by Hassan so it wins.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Oops. SHIT.

Sorry. Don't mind me.

Merge or lock at will.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There where already a thread about this subject. I am too lazy to try find it, and not new elements appeared here.

So i close it.

You are free to bump the old one if you have anything new to add
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

This is a joke post, right?

over here it was on tv like 24-7... when it happened 30 of our spots got dumped because of it..

Now as for the army recording and taping it... I don't know what to believe only that its usually war correspondants and their crew thatn pick and choose what they want to do. The timeliness of it seems surprising as everything else in the military takes god aweful amount of time. I personally believe it to be fishy myself.

I'm not blasting liberals either... its just that why in hell would they go into full 24-7 report drive to the families houses and ask them how they felt about it. The whole thing was to cause a negative effect on public opinion, completely bias in my opinion, as well as not being objectionable... its was as if... ok thats CNN's opinion.. not here's whats going on. (lets make ratings... not news)

I do believe tho the stuff was horribly exaggerated, I hear from a friend of mine who was stationed in that wierd little country Qatar, that they basically had control of the hospital anyway he was saying I hear the news is saying it too now. anyways he said they took control of that area and they pretty much found out and airlifted her out of there from his impression. Nothing covert about it. Oh well who knows we'll never know the full depth of it. Sad she got caught thank god she is alive. I just feel that she is riding the fence to sell more books so to speak.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

Now as for the army recording and taping it... I don't know what to believe

Well, do you think maybe you would know what to believe if, oh...I don't know....you actually took the time to look into it!

Man! Here we have an example of another one of the folks compelled to form opinions first, then find out the facts later. Unreal
  • Reply 18 of 42
    The Iraqi doctor that examined her said she was fully clothed when she arrived and he found no evidence of a rape and no semen:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news...apedenied.html

The only source we have that she was is the US military.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have decided to merge the 2 threads.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

The only source we have that she was is the US military.

At this point, the only "sources" we have are people who have read or who have been told what was in the book. The New York Times article is the only one I have seen that directly states the report was from "military doctors". Other news articles only refer to a "medical report", and one article even states that, "it was unclear if the book cites American or Iraqi records."

While it is true that since the book was an authorized biography, the author would have access to the military medical record since the discharged military member would be authorized to make a copy, that is only a reasonable speculation as to the source of the information.

I don't think you can make that assertion until someone definitively reports what the book says, and the book isn't supposed to be released until next week.