Quick Help.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got my new 15" pb from Fedex.

How do I tell if I already have panther on it?

How do I take things off the bar at the bottom that I don't use?

This is my first apple and I am loving it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    t9000t9000 Posts: 34member
    Ok, I do have panther. Now how do I network my pc and my apple. I took the cat5 out of my cable modem and hooked up my PB. Then I was fooling around with xp and trying to establish a connection with my apple. I really don't know what I am doing. And I have no idea how to do it on the Apple. I enabled sharing though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Come on, I know someone can help me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Try this:

"You'll need to enable file sharing on the Mac in the file sharing control panel and make sure that the hard drive is being shared. If there are files on the PC you want to share, set those folders or your C drive to be shared out. Then you should be able to see the Windows machine in the Connect to Server option in the Go menu in the Finder. If not, try connecting using the IP address of the PC."

I stole this from somewhere, but people seemed to think it works. It was for Jag though, so there may be some small changes.

Never networked my computer so the finer points are lost on me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac ownership! Hope you enjoy your time here. In order to network your two computers you will need to know their IP addresses. To find it on your AlBook go to system preferences/Network. It will tell you what your IP address is if you read the text in the window. To find it on your PeeCee...I believe there should be an icon in your task bar related to your network connection, click on it and look around in the box that pops up. If you find the PeeCee IP address hit command (the key with the apple on it) and K. If it doesn't automatically find your PeeCee when you click on brouse, type in the IP address and try to connect. I would recommend getting a router to connect your computers together, or else you'll be stuck with only one internet connection all the time and be forced to switch the cable back and forth. Get a wireless router so you can use airport in your AlBook, wireless is sweet. That should help you network as well. Good luck, any more questions, private message me or IM me, my screen name is in my profile.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for the help. I am loving my PB right now. I have it next to my peecee and I have the pb using the internet. lol

I plan on getting airport in the next few months. I am kinda outta money at the moment.

So then I will be able to go around the house with my pb and be online and share files with my pc.

BTW-if anyone has done the apple educational loan-do you know when the send the bill? It has been about 3 weeks.

Thanks again. I love this machine.