Napster + Penn State ...can't be good

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Read

Seems like students at penn state will be going the napster way unless they are previously won over by iTMS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Unless they really want to keep the music, they'll still have to pay $0.99 per song, since the deal is for the subscription download service. That only allows you to play the music from the computer. You won't be able to transfer songs to your portable or burn them to CD without paying anyway. Imagine if users used Napster at the expense of Penn State but also used iTunes to actually buy the songs. Wouldn't that be a slap in the face? Apple needs to push the iPod really hard for this to happen...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Would be a slap in the face but I don't see that happening. Most people won't care about quality difference. It helps the iPod is popular that if they see WMA doesn't work on the iPod they will go with iTMS but if they are used to using napster they might decide to get a dell whatever and use napster.

I guess this deal doesn't top the Pepsi one, but it is pretty killer I think.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Dell is marketing the MusicMatch service. Unless you use the Napster 2.0 store within WMP (not installed by default), the only portable you will be able to transfer the music to will be the Samsung.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Does it seem a little odd to anyone else for a public university to pay for students' music access in this way? Wouldn't their computer fee money be better spent on something else?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Seems as though some people there are on to them http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/33864.html