Digital Magazines

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So I just got a free one year subscription to MacWorld for registering my new G5 with Apple. (to all you paranoid users who never register properly: )

This is the third time I've had this freebie. This time however, they are offering me a choice of a regular subscription, or getting it in digital format.

My G5 came with an app called Zinio Reader, which, while not the greatest app of all time (far from it), it's a pretty damn cool way to read a magazine. Reading it full screen on a 19" CRT at 1280x960 is very easy on the eyes, and I may just have to get the digital format.

Here are a few screenshots of the app: (click for full size, modem users beware)

I even get to check out the ads:

I'll enjoy getting a nice full screen view of that Cold Mountain ad, with the G5 and the killer video editing setup I've seen in recent MacWorlds.

So what do you guys think? Will digital magazines ever really take off?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Digital sucks. I'd rather have a flippable format. But then, I'm not running a Cinema Display and a G5 that's fast enough to burn through a magazine like a prairie fire. My PB12 has to wait to load that queer "page-turn" animation. Bugs the crap out of me.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    i just had to make the same decision, and i opted for the flippable.

it's nice to have something to read on the train, and frankly i get too much stuff to read now on the computer, i'd be worried it'd go unread just like my "world's largest mustard museum" newsletters.

(what was i thinking?)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I went with digital. I like it because the little I read from macworld gets read in 10 min so it not like I would carry around the mag with me to read it all the time. Page flipping takes about 1.5-2 seconds to load for the first time, then it's decently fluid. Doesn't matter, if you don't like that, turn the page flipping off and you'll be set. I do wish they had more zoom settings, its either to small to read or gigantor.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I've been using Zinio since it first came out with PC MAG a while ago. Maybe it's just me but my 15" LCD is just too small for me to read it without enlarging the print, which is just too cumbersome. I think you need at least a 17" screen to view it comfortably and a fast processor.

I do like the ability to store issues on my computer and to 'cut and paste' into a WORD document.

• Reply 5 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

So I just got a free one year subscription to MacWorld for registering my new G5 with Apple. (to all you paranoid users who never register properly: )

This is the third time I've had this freebie. This time however, they are offering me a choice of a regular subscription, or getting it in digital format.

My G5 came with an app called Zinio Reader, which, while not the greatest app of all time (far from it), it's a pretty damn cool way to read a magazine. Reading it full screen on a 19" CRT at 1280x960 is very easy on the eyes, and I may just have to get the digital format.

I didn't think they still did the free MacWorld promo. I remember when there used to be cards that came with your Mac where you could choose between a magazine, a mouse pad and some other things when you sent it in to register. Would the reason I didn't get the offer was because I chose the "please don't send me any e-mails or promos" option? I'd guess so.

Also, I wonder why this app was on your G5. It doesn't seem to be there on my 1.8 (Canadian model).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I just checked out Zinio again when I got the premier issue of MacDeveloper from Apple. I really dig the app, and could see using it except for one thing. Unless you zoom in, the text is jagged and unreadable. I have a 22 inch display, and can see both pages at onece, but can't read the text. It is big enough, just blurry. When I zoom in, the text is perfect. I don't get it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Zinio even let's you print mag pages (2 at a time) and they yield a decent quality. So even paperware people can read some of it on paper (skipping ads )
  • Reply 8 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    thats interesting. i get Game Developer magazine in print, but I find whenever I want to look up an article or do some perusing, I go to the online site. I read the mag when i get it in the mail. But, for reference, I tend to go to the website.