TiBook Update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at buying a TiBook. Does anyone know when the last revision was and possibly when it will be updated next because an iBook with a G3 will just not cut it, specially with 100MHz system bus. Also I suppose the iMac won't be updated at LEAST until MWSF. Does anyone own a low end TiBook or high end iBook and could tell me how it handles in comparison to a G4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    [quote] iBook with a G3 will just not cut it, specially with 100MHz system bus <hr></blockquote>

not cut what? osx (and i am assuming 10.2) is going rock on a dual usb ibook with 640 ram.

10.1 already does. unless you are doing DVD encoding or final cut or something like that.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: keyboardf12 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 68
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    So the iBook runs nicely with 640MB RAM? I've fixed one with what I belive had 256MB and a 600MHz. It wasn't bad but it just didn't have the zip I was used to with the G4 733MHz with 256MB. I know this is to be expected but it was pretty much slower.

Can anyone tell me how many seconds it takes to open photoshop on a high end iBook. (from when you double click it to when the information appears into the pallet)
  • Reply 3 of 68
    If this helps, I just placed my order today for the 800 MHz w/1GB RAM + 60 GB HD after waiting approx. 14 months, passing over update after update. The last revision was April 30, and by all accounts, nearly every shortcoming has been addressed (except perhaps the paint chip issue) including the heat dissapation, Airport (although the range still falls short of the iBook), and screen resolution.

I say go for it.

Regards,

PEte
  • Reply 4 of 68
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    go for it!

The display resolution is awesome.

The G4 screams.

It's got a combo drive.

The current Titanium is nearly perfect. You could wait, but the most likely update is going to be bluetooth and a speed bump. That's nothing worth waiting for if you ask me.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    [quote] You could wait, but the most likely update is going to be bluetooth and a speed bump. That's nothing worth waiting for if you ask me. <hr></blockquote>

Did Steve not announce that you can now buy a Bluetooth adaptor now anyway? Even less reason to wait for a new PowerBook. Nobody has any idea when they will be out, so why not just buy one now?
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Ok well i'm 16, and by the end of summer I will have about $3000 from my summer job. I'm trying to stay under 2750 so I can have money for shipping left. So can I have suggestions on what hardware I should get or which of the following is better:

PBook G4 667MHz

-512 RAM

-30GB

-Combo Drive

-Extra Battery

iBook

-640 RAM

-40GB

-Combo

-iPod (10 GB)

-Extra Battery

I know I can always upgrade the G4 later, but can anyone tell me if the speed difference and screen size is worth the 10GB difference in the HD, a 10GB iPod, 128MB RAM?

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 68
    April 30 was the last update, apple updates their stuff what, approx. every 6month? So that that means I'd probably have to wait until sept. for whatever the new revision would be?
  • Reply 8 of 68
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    [quote]-512 RAM<hr></blockquote>

For a start, DON'T buy the additional RAM from Apple. They will charge you $150 to put a 256MB stick in the second slot, which means you have to take it out if you ever want to expand, and a breathtaking $250 to give you one 512. Get it with the standard 256 and buy an additional 256 for $50, or 512 for about $135. It's easy to install.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    [quote]Originally posted by BrunoBruin:

<strong>

For a start, DON'T buy the additional RAM from Apple. They will charge you $150 to put a 256MB stick in the second slot, which means you have to take it out if you ever want to expand, and a breathtaking $250 to give you one 512. Get it with the standard 256 and buy an additional 256 for $50, or 512 for about $135. It's easy to install.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And where do I get it for that price?

Nevermind, <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com"; target="_blank">www.pricewatch.com</a> has it for cheap...i love that place, if anyone has never heard if it, go there, its beautiful, tell me what you think.

• Reply 10 of 68
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, i'm on an iBook right now, and it's slow in OSX. i don't care what anyone says, it's sluggish. ('course it is a 500 w/66 bus, but still, it shouldn't flat out suck)

i placed an order for a TiBook yesterday as well after waiting.

asterex, have you checked into student pricing at the school you're at? you should get at least some discount for being a student. it usually ranges anywhere from $50-$300 depending on the school and the product. usually enough to cover tax at least.

also, i would recommend going with the 800 Mhz TiBook if at all possible. of everything that comes on a machine, the processor is the one thing you can't upgrade later.

one note: the 800 Mhz comes with a 10GB larger HD, which can be dropped to bring the price $100 closer to the 667. also, the 800 comes w/airport installed, a nice little extra.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 11 of 68
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>

I know I can always upgrade the G4 later, but can anyone tell me if the speed difference and screen size is worth the 10GB difference in the HD, a 10GB iPod, 128MB RAM?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please note you cannot upgrade the processor in a laptop like you can with a desktop. You are stuck with what you get from the very start.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    <a href="http://eshop.macsales.com"; target="_blank">Other World</a> has 512 for the Ti for about $135, I think. I buy all my RAM from them and never have any trouble.

FWIW, I went with the 667 rather than the 800 because I already had RAM and an Airport card, and while the 800 comes with 512MB, Apple ships it as two 256s filling both slots.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>asterex, have you checked into student pricing at the school you're at? you should get at least some discount for being a student. it usually ranges anywhere from $50-$300 depending on the school and the product. usually enough to cover tax at least

-alcimedes</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont belive apple gives discounts to high school students do they?

Also: is there anyway i can order the PBook 800MHz with ONLY 256MB instead of 512 to keep the price down?

• Reply 14 of 68
    brdocbrdoc Posts: 31member
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>

I dont belive apple gives discounts to high school students do they?

Also: is there anyway i can order the PBook 800MHz with ONLY 256MB instead of 512 to keep the price down?

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are correct. There is not any education discount for high school students. The only students that get a discount are college students. As far as the memory goes, it does not appear that that is an option. Another thing to consider is that Apple does not charge for shipping if you have it delivered via ground trans.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Well I'd like to thank everyone. Unless somehow I obtain an extra $500 between now and when school starts I will avhe to choose a 667MHz, 30GB, with extra ram bought from somewhere else. Unless they change the specs this will be my choise probably. Unless people want to donate me some money, if everyone just gives me $20... ...oh you dont want to, ok then well thanks anyways. haha thanks everyone for the help

If anyone wants to buy a handheld electromagnetic pulse emitter I'm making them and be glad to sell you one assuming I don't get in trouble for you destroying things with it. *(for those of you who do not know wat that is, think of a neutron bomb for electronics...also this is small enough to fit in your pocket and goes 2-24in)*

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]

• Reply 16 of 68
    okay then...........
  • Reply 17 of 68
    haunebuhaunebu Posts: 40member
    I wouldn't be putting that thing in my pocket... :eek:
  • Reply 18 of 68
    brdocbrdoc Posts: 31member
    [quote]Originally posted by haunebu:

<strong>I wouldn't be putting that thing in my pocket... :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Theoretically, An EMP does no damage to a human, only to electronics. However, I have no interest in that bloody thing.

:eek:
  • Reply 18 of 68
    haha y it won't hurt you...photons wouldn't hurt you
  • Reply 20 of 68
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    I doubt you'll be able to get enough energy density to make it work unless you're building a chemical version