WMP 9 released.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Finally, i can listen to sirius sat radio on safari now. I didnt use it before cause it required IE on here. Yuck, LoL. finally!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Could someone verify that this version will play:

.asf

.avi

.wmv

.asx

.mpg

.mpeg

?video files?

I've never been able to play any of the above Windows video files on my PowerBook (which is now sold as I am waiting for my new one - so I can't try it on my end just yet).
  • Reply 23 of 42
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

.asf

.avi

.wmv

.asx

.mpg

.mpeg

?video files?

Partial support, no, yes, no, no, no. I only use WMP for wmv files anyway... the asf, asx, mpg files work great with VLC and mplayer, and the avi files play fine with Quicktime player (with the Divx plugin).

Were you using VLC and mplayer?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Partial support, no, yes, no, no, no. I only use WMP for wmv files anyway... the asf, asx, mpg files work great with VLC and mplayer, and the avi files play fine with Quicktime player (with the Divx plugin).

Were you using VLC and mplayer?

No, I've never even heard of these apps. Are they easy and hassle free to use? In other words, can I just install it and play the above file types, or do I have to install various codecs, plugins and so on? Thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

No, I've never even heard of these apps. Are they easy and hassle free to use? In other words, can I just install it and play the above file types, or do I have to install various codecs, plugins and so on? Thanks.

I know you don't have your powerbook, but here are links anyway:

VLC, mplayer

Both of these are just apps you can install and use to view most content. The Divx plugin you can download from the divx site and it installs a codec for quicktime. It works great and haven't had any problems with it at all. And unlike the free PC version it doesn't try to install adware.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

I know you don't have your powerbook, but here are links anyway:

VLC, mplayer

Both of these are just apps you can install and use to view most content. The Divx plugin you can download from the divx site and it installs a codec for quicktime. It works great and haven't had any problems with it at all. And unlike the free PC version it doesn't try to install adware.

Thanks a lot, I'll try it out when my PowerBook arrives.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

.asf

.avi

.wmv

.asx

.mpg

.mpeg

?video files?

I've never been able to play any of the above Windows video files on my PowerBook (which is now sold as I am waiting for my new one - so I can't try it on my end just yet).

Comprehensive List of Codecs Supported

Audio:

Windows Media Audio Decode (Format Tag: WMA2 = 353, WMA1=352)

Decodes all CBR profiles from 5kbps to 192kbps, 8kHz to 48kHz, mono and stereo

Decodes all v9 CBR profiles, from 5kbps to 320kbps, 8kHz to 48kHz, mono and stereo

Decodes all quality based, bit rate based and peak constrained VBR profiles

Supports WMA v1 and WMA v2 bit streams

Decodes WMV v9 Pro downsampled to stereo

Windows Media Audio Pro Decode

5.1 discrete to stereo fold down only

Windows Media Audio Lossless Decode

Windows Media Audio Voice Decode (Format Tag: 10)

Decodes all CBR profiles from 4kbps to 20kbps, 8kHz to 22kHz, mono

Supports Speech mode, Music Mode and post-filtering

G.726

Video:

Windows Media Video Decode (4CC: WMV7, WMV8, WMV9)

Decodes content encoded with WMV v7 and v8

Decodes content encoded with WMV v9

Decodes WMV v9 1p/2p CBR/VBR

Windows Media Video Image (4CC: WMVP)

Decodes CBR/VBR content

MS MPEG-4 Decode (4CC: MP42, MP43)

Decodes content encoded with MS MPEG-4 v2 and MS MPEG-4 v3

ISO MPEG-4 Decode (4CC: MP4S)

Decodes ISO MPEG-4 v1.0 (subset of simple profile)

Windows Media Video Screen v7
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Please note that some are complaining that the V7 mentioned above is not the same as the windows version. Most feel this WMP 9 for Mac is definitely not the equivalent of the Windows version. Will not play many radio streams for example.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *ROTLFMAO*

Okay, so WMP9 *JUST* came out, right? Brand spankin' new and all...

Then how come the following is popping up in my system.log, eh MS?

Nov 10 21:18:48 localhost /Users/Shared/Applications/Viewers/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/MacOS/WindowsMediaPlayer: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***

Jeez mon. Get with the program.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*ROTLFMAO*

Okay, so WMP9 *JUST* came out, right? Brand spankin' new and all...

Then how come the following is popping up in my system.log, eh MS?

Nov 10 21:18:48 localhost /Users/Shared/Applications/Viewers/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/MacOS/WindowsMediaPlayer: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***

Jeez mon. Get with the program.

Uh... what the hell? The system log says November 10th. That was yesterday. WMP 9 has been out for a few days.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Uh... what the hell? The system log says November 10th. That was yesterday. WMP 9 has been out for a few days.

That's when kick installed it, not when it was built. I think his point was that despite WMP's recent appearance, it's still using deprecated methods. This shouldn't happen in newly released software. :/
  • Reply 32 of 42
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Something is wrong with Microsoft's implementation of the plug-in for Safari, not the codecs. Here is a tip from MacNN's mattbishop:

====================================

To play the trailers on XBOX.COM, one has to do a bit of work unfortunately:

1. Navigate to the trailer you want to watch.

2. "OK" the "you don't have this plugin" dialog

3. Above the movie frame, Rt-click the link "Launch Windows Media Player" and select "Download Link to Disk".

4. Open the downloaded link in a text editor and look for the text that looks like this:

<ref href="mms://wm.microsoft.com/ms/xbox/video/medalofhonorrisingsun/mohrisingsun-001-Hi.wmv" />

5. copy the part after the href=" part up to the end quote, so the resulting selected text looks like this:

mms://wm.microsoft.com/ms/xbox/video/medalofhonorrisingsun/mohrisingsun-001-Hi.wmv

6. Copy this text, then open WMP 9.

7. Select "File", "Open URL" and then paste into the URL text box. Hit OK and enjoy.

=====================================

Now if the codecs were missing or inferior, this wouldn't play at all, right?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I must be doing something wrong. Why does the installer want to run as a Classic app? I checked my download ling X times Must be me?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

That's when kick installed it, not when it was built. I think his point was that despite WMP's recent appearance, it's still using deprecated methods. This shouldn't happen in newly released software. :/

Precisely.

Then again... has Word started letting people use more than 32 letters in filenames yet? I haven't kept track since ditching it a while back...
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I must be doing something wrong. Why does the installer want to run as a Classic app? I checked my download ling X times Must be me?

Because the incredibly bad MS site directs you to WMP7 instead of 9 which is here:

Hey, guess what they pulled the download for 9 on the Mac. Not there anymore.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

Because the incredibly bad MS site directs you to WMP7 instead of 9 which is here:

Very weird. The WM9 product site is still up.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Precisely.

Then again... has Word started letting people use more than 32 letters in filenames yet? I haven't kept track since ditching it a while back...

Nope. Annoying as hell. That's one big thing about OS X that's been around since 10.0 (and probably much, MUCH earlier). If Word X is so much of an improvement over Word 2001 as MS says it is, why can't it even comply with basic OS X features? Retards.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    No, my mistake. The download is still there, but the product page has been completely changed and has all wrong information. Installer and installed program look the same. Very weird. Why would they have the product specs for WMP7?

Here is page info:

Windows Media Player for Mac OS X

Microsoft Windows Media? Player for Mac brings the best audio and video to millions of Mac users with full support for the industry-leading Windows Media Technologies.

Released: 1/8/2002 12:00:00 AM

Download now!

_

Note__ Microsoft does not support third-party download files or software, including, but not limited to, file compression and decompression software.

System requirements: See system requirements below

Minimum system requirements for Windows Media Player:

Operating system: Apple Mac OS X version 10.1.5 (latest version 10.2.x recommended)

Any computer supported by Mac OS X version 10.1.5 (450 megahertz (MHz) PowerPC G3 processor or higher recommended)

Memory: 128 megabytes (MB) or higher

Free hard disk space: 10 MB

Monitor color depth: 256 colors (Millions of colors recommended)

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac, America Online for Mac OS X, Netscape 7.1, MSN for Mac OS X version 2.0, or Apple Safari 1.0
  • Reply 39 of 42
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Nope. Annoying as hell. That's one big thing about OS X that's been around since 10.0 (and probably much, MUCH earlier). If Word X is so much of an improvement over Word 2001 as MS says it is, why can't it even comply with basic OS X features? Retards.

Does this suprize you? We all know the MacBU is a joke. It's only still around too appease the DOJ and make Microsoft a little bit of pocket change, which they could do fine without.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

No it isn't at least not now