Adding a 8500 to Dual 867 MDD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to install the ATI 8500 into my mac.

Do most people take out the current card?

Can I put the current card into another slot and use that one for a second monitor, that way I don't have to "split" the 64mb in the new 8500?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You cant have 2 AGP cards in because there is only 1 AGP slot. To have a second graphics card you need a PCI card.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    and the GForce 4 MX that came with my dual 867 is an AGP card right?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yes, the graphics cards that shipped with all PowerMac G4s since December 1999 are in the single AGP slot. You can't have more than one AGP graphics card, unfortunately. You can get PCI graphics cards pretty cheap, though, as long as you're not too concerned with graphics performance on the extra monitors they provide - Rage 128s have OS X support and they will run basically any VGA or older Apple monitor, and they only cost about $20-$30 on eBay. PCI Radeons are a bit more expensive, but the cool thing about those is that they can support Quartz Extreme (with a hack) and they are actually playable with games, although I don't know of any games that use dual monitors. Also, the PCI Radeon 7000, although slower than the standard, discontinued PCI Radeon, does support dual monitors, so you could have three or four monitors connected to your computer at once.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    >Luca Rescigno:

>Also, the PCI Radeon 7000, although slower than the standard, discontinued PCI Radeon,...

Where did you find / tested that, Luca???
  • Reply 5 of 6
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    www.xlr8yourmac.com and www.barefeats.com ar good places for speed tests
  • Reply 6 of 6
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bender

>Luca Rescigno:

>Also, the PCI Radeon 7000, although slower than the standard, discontinued PCI Radeon,...

Where did you find / tested that, Luca???

The Radeon 7000 is slightly faster than the Radeon Mac Edition (= Radeon 7200) in 2D because it's clocked a bit faster (183MHz vs 166MHz). But it lacks the Transform & Lightning unit of the R 7200 and so it's slower in 3D where T&L is used.

This is from my own experience as I own both...