Flossing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I hate flossing. It's time-consuming and it makes my teeth feel funny the next day (I guess all that food is providing some kind of "support" for my teeth.) But I've been doing it the past couple days and I may continue doing it regularly since it's not as bad as I thought. How often do you floss?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    N-e-v-a! I have my own dental vegetable patch though. \
  • Reply 2 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Where is the "Only for the three days leading up to my dentist visit so maybe I can fool them into thinking I floss regularly" option?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I floss... but not my teeth.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I never floss and I only brush once a day. No cavities. No inflamed gums. Maybe a case of bad breath.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Brush twice a day, floss the two days before the dentist visit, and for about a week after.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I floss... but not my teeth.

What, you wear a thong?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i found these glide floss picks, has a tension adjustment by adding pressure to the sides, makes it way easy to floss, best on the market and my fingers don't get strangled.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    every time before i brush, and that's like 3-4 times a day.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superstar

every time before i brush, and that's like 3-4 times a day.

Do you have a lot of free time?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

What, you wear a thong?

yes.... backwards.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hey, pensieve. Thanks for the reminder. 8)
  • Reply 12 of 24
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Or are they obsessive - compulsive, perhaps?

• Reply 13 of 24
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Once in the morning, Once after lunch, Once after Dinner ....

what's so time consuming?

Once you get into the regime, it's really not that hard or time-consuming, at all.

Plus, ideally, you should be flossing after every meal. Otherwise, you let the bacteria sit on your teeth all day until your next flossing. Sitting in your gums, and causing gum diseases later in life.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Or are they obsessive - compulsive, perhaps?

Maybe "they" care about their hygiene?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I never floss and I only brush once a day. No cavities. No inflamed gums. Maybe a case of bad breath.

hmmm. you must not have gf if you only brush once a day
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

Once in the morning, Once after lunch, Once after Dinner ....

it seems to me it would be a hassle to brush your teeth at work
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

it seems to me it would be a hassle to brush your teeth at work

- i always take a travel toothbrush to work - what's the big deal? it takes like 2 minutes to brush. i don't know about you guy's but to me, getting fillings, root canals and dealing with fake teeth would be a much greater hassle. - plus - do you guy's really don't mind that you stink out of your mouth (and believe me:YOU DO)??? comon now - flossing and brushing at the very least twice a day is like sooo basic. how anyone can be proud of brushing only once and never floss is beyond me.....yuck.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by superstar

- i always take a travel toothbrush to work - what's the big deal? it takes like 2 minutes to brush. i don't know about you guy's but to me, getting fillings, root canals and dealing with fake teeth would be a much greater hassle. - plus - do you guy's really don't mind that you stink out of your mouth (and believe me:YOU DO)??? comon now - flossing and brushing at the very least twice a day is like sooo basic. how anyone can be proud of brushing only once and never floss is beyond me.....yuck.

you have some good point.

well i brush twice most of the time, though i never floss
  • Reply 19 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apparently there's some good research showing that flossing can increase your life span. That's not the age of your teeth, but how long you actually live. Here's one example.

It seems like it would be correlation rather than causation. You'd think that flossers would also take good care of themselves in other ways, so it wouldn't be flossing that makes them live longer, but those other behaviors that flossers engage in. But apparently many researchers believe there actually is a causal relationship.

Quote:

These studies show that the presence of periodontal diseases, diseases most common in people with tooth loss, actually affects longevity. The best of these studies done at Emory University with the Centers for Disease Control, indicated that people with gingivitis and periodontitis have a mortality rate that is 23 percent to 46 percent higher than those who don't... why? They are linked to increased rates of cardiovascular disease and stroke, as well as to an increase in mortality from other causes, such as infections. '

• Reply 20 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    What about all those old Asian people who never brushed their teeth or flossed in their lives?