Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 421 of 588
    I've heard it was because of some spacers that they put in behind the display... to stabilize the display and the cover... as the cover is aluminum (aluminium)... the spacers are pressing the back of the screen, giving the white spots... just what I've heard reported.

Makes me wonder if all of our collective spots on each machine are in the same areas consistently. Mine is (intermittently) in the vertical middle, about 3 inches from the left of the screen. What about you others?

Charlie
  • Reply 422 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Does anyone know WHY these white spots show up ? Apple didn't give any (official) explanation till now.

A bit more info would be welcome. Is it a bad lot from a certain manufactering plant ? Was it the way they stored it, shipped it ? Is it triggered by something we (the end users) do ?

They should know it by now IMO, and they should let us know they are doing something about it. So people who want to buy one feel a bit more comfortable.

Well, aparently apple are now admitting to the problems - see the following link for more info:

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...,86802,00.html
  • Reply 423 of 588
    t9000t9000 Posts: 34member
    I just got mine in the mail. The latch does seem a little weird.
  • Reply 424 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

got picture, and its deffo not the light source from window (its dark outside) or from the light. I tried it at a few angles.

Yes, I think that is about what I've seen on my 15", but it was only obvious at certain times. I'll take another look at it when it comes back with my wife from Europe.
  • Reply 425 of 588
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    So I noticed that when I look on my PoweBook at an angle...

Reason for concern?
  • Reply 426 of 588
    seems slightly worse when running on batteries. Also, I just noticed that my keyboard backlight is not working tonight. The even more bizzare thing is that it lets me adjust the brightness of them using F8,9,10 even tho they are off.... As you know you normally get the crossed out circle if the sensors think its too light.

Obviously the sensors think its dark enough, but the PB is not lighting up the KB... ???

Edit:

I just realised that my PB woke up when I unplugged the mouse (I am on bed with it on my knee) before I opened the screen. I have noticed a few weird behaviours when the BP wakes up while the screen is closed.

I just shut the lid, waited 5 seconds, and opened it again, and the lights are on now.!!
  • Reply 427 of 588
    OK, My picture about half-way down this page, and ast3r3x's here look like a very similar problem...

A duff backlight maybe ?

Half of the screen dimming a bit more than the rest ?

Anyone else got this problem, even if its a bit more subtle? or are we just an unlucky pair ?
  • Reply 428 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

OK, My picture about half-way down this page, and ast3r3x's here look like a very similar problem...

A duff backlight maybe ?

Half of the screen dimming a bit more than the rest ?

Anyone else got this problem, even if its a bit more subtle? or are we just an unlucky pair ?

Your machine and mine are strikingly similar. I just recently had the backlit problem you had and had to put my computer to sleep and wake it up again. I think I'm regretting not getting a dual g5 \

I signed the petition, where is the class action lawsuit to get your money back? Maybe I sell my Apple stock before the shit hits the fan.
  • Reply 429 of 588
    Attention everyone!!!

Please see the link below. This is another petition!!!

We started one for the whitespot epidemic and the

petition got a lot of recognition on various news reports

on the web. Apple is now responding. This is just another

problem with the PBs.

http://www.petitiononline.com/pbdefect/petition.html

cheers
  • Reply 430 of 588
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    !!

After weeks of happiness, as well as my proud claim that my new baby had no defects of any kind, I've now found multiple tiny white spots scattered around the left-center of my display. F@ck.

I'm going to wait until Apple gets the hang of fixing this problem until sending it in. I can live with it until then. At least, until they get bigger...
  • Reply 431 of 588
    I have a couple what look like white spots only they are about one or two pixels big. They are in the lower left hand side of the middle of the display. I'd say 3"-4" diagonally toward the center from the bottom left part of the screen.
  • Reply 432 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    My display is also starting to show uneven backlighting.

I've asked for a replacement machine, and it's in the pipeline. No ETA yet. The Sales reps I talked to told me that the problem has been fixed at production (they didn't give me the "eh? what spots"), so I'm at least 55% confident that the new machine will be fine.

If you are reporting spots, it would be helpful to note when the machine was made/delivered, and whether or not it has been repaired before.
  • Reply 433 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I've asked for a replacement machine, and it's in the pipeline. No ETA

hey machem, what do you mean by in the pipeline? You've had the machine for as long as I've had mine right (ordered the day they released 'em). I thought Apple wouldn't replace them after more than 10 days?

I'm sticking with mine, but I'm going to send it in for a repair during fall break (thanksgiving), as long as Apple can reassure me that they have actually fixed the problem and I won't get another defective repair.

-Spyky
  • Reply 434 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spyky

hey machem, what do you mean by in the pipeline? You've had the machine for as long as I've had mine right (ordered the day they released 'em). I thought Apple wouldn't replace them after more than 10 days?

I'm sticking with mine, but I'm going to send it in for a repair during fall break (thanksgiving), as long as Apple can reassure me that they have actually fixed the problem and I won't get another defective repair.

-Spyky

They've fixed it once, and whether it's because it's been fixed once, or because my U bought it, or a combination, they are going to replace it. I don't have to send this one back until I have the new one. I was balancing waiting for them to permanently fix the screen issue with how long it would take to order and build a new one. I'm aware that people ordering now are seeing waits up to five weeks. They told me that I could wait a while to replace the machine, but not indefinitely.

Gives me a chance to return the 3.5 A hr battery, too.
  • Reply 435 of 588
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I for one hope Apple is desperately pursuing another LCD supplier. Whoever is making the new 15" screen sucks.
  • Reply 436 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

...Gives me a chance to return the 3.5 A hr battery, too.

Why would you want to return a battery that lasts that long? That's good. I don't really get more than 3h with medium/light use ( Jaguar 10.2.8 ). Three-and-a-half hours is about the length of time going without charging that would be comfortable for me (3 x 1h lectures/classes plus a bit of leeway). Six hours, of course, would be REALLY useful.

BTW. I am so lucky that I was enough of a perfectionist to put in for a replacement PB within 10 days of purchase over 2 stuck pixels. (I know! I can't believe they let me get awat with it at that stage... There is just a no questions asked return and replace policy, apparently). Im lucky because now I've got 'The Spots', but instead of having to send in this PB for repair and be in the CATASTROPHIC situation of being without a computer, I can hang on to this defective one (for at least part of the time) while my replacement is being organised. It is gonna be quite a job to keep TNT off my back for 3-4 weeks though...
  • Reply 437 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

BTW. I am so lucky that I was enough of a perfectionist to put in for a replacement PB within 10 days of purchase over 2 stuck pixels. (I know! I can't believe they let me get awat with it at that stage... There is just a no questions asked return and replace policy, apparently). Im lucky because now I've got 'The Spots', but instead of having to send in this PB for repair and be in the CATASTROPHIC situation of being without a computer, I can hang on to this defective one (for at least part of the time) while my replacement is being organised. It is gonna be quite a job to keep TNT of my back for 3-4 weeks though...

If they have your parts ready it shouldn't be much more then a week without a computer.
  • Reply 438 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I have a couple what look like white spots only they are about one or two pixels big. They are in the lower left hand side of the middle of the display. I'd say 3"-4" diagonally toward the center from the bottom left part of the screen.

i had 7 of those those little white dots. a couple started turning fuzzy and into those ghosty white spots after a while. they were all located on the middle to lower half of the screen, left and right sides.

my screen was also slightly unevenly lit, brighter on the right side. but someone told me that was normal. whatever... the PB is back at apple anyway while i await a replacement.
  • Reply 439 of 588
    My God! So many faulty machines... This is SO bad...
  • Reply 440 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Why would you want to return a battery that lasts that long? That's good. I don't really get more than 3h with medium/light use ( Jaguar 10.2.8 ). Three-and-a-half hours is about the length of time going without charging that would be comfortable for me (3 x 1h lectures/classes plus a bit of leeway). Six hours, of course, would be REALLY useful.

My second battery has a capacity of 4.5 A hr. Note that 3.5 A hr does not mean that it lasts 3.5 hr off the power cord. My 4.5 A hr batter lasts about 3.75 hours off charge, on average.